Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:34 PM   #1

Yeah. Looking for a new digital camera. I can get one for Christmas, but, it has to be realitively cheap. (Say around 350$ or less (Maybe more...don't know) .) I'm really liking how the P850 is looking. I've seen some great shots taken with it.

Anybody care to give me some user pros and cons? I've read reviews. Some good, some not so good. (and some pros and cons. I just want some real in-depth user pros and cons. Please. )

Also, I'm also thinking about the P712. That one looks really good. but, right now its a bit too much. I'm hoping there will be a pretty decent price drop for the holidays.
Anyway, anobody have any experience for that camera?

Thanks in advance.

-En121
En121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:52 AM   #2

both have been getting great feedback in the user forums.

my only other suggestion would be the P880. i use the 24mm wide angle more for landscapes and portraits, and find the 6x zoom enough.

anyhow, look forward to your posts!

En121 wrote:
Quote:
Yeah. Looking for a new digital camera. I can get one for Christmas, but, it has to be realitively cheap. (Say around 350$ or less (Maybe more...don't know) .) I'm really liking how the P850 is looking. I've seen some great shots taken with it.

Anybody care to give me some user pros and cons? I've read reviews. Some good, some not so good. (and some pros and cons. I just want some real in-depth user pros and cons. Please. )

Also, I'm also thinking about the P712. That one looks really good. but, right now its a bit too much. I'm hoping there will be a pretty decent price drop for the holidays.
Anyway, anobody have any experience for that camera?

Thanks in advance.

-En121
kcmargulies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:18 PM   #3

Ok, I had the P850 for about a month, and I sent it back. In comparison shots with a friends Sony, it didn't pick up background imaging, just was black. Also, it lacked some sharpness. In general, it probably won't bother you, but as my friend had just gotten the Sony, I was in the unique position of being able to physically try each out. The P850 had a better movie mode than the Sony, but slower shutter lag. the P850 had a better continuous shot mode, more scene options, and generally more options than just about any camera out there. However, even after seeing the Sony, I have ultimately decided to go with the Canon S3 IS. I just felt that over all, the picture quality is better, and other things I felt were important were there with the S3, and not the P850. I think the P850 is trying to be what Canon has, but it falls a little short. Give the 712 a look at, and see if you can compare image quality. Hope that helps.
kglade is offline   Reply With Quote