Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:19 PM   #1

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I need to purchase a camera to take pictures of events (most evenings and weddings, so very low light) at the hotel I work for - prefer the following features:

$200 or under, would like compact but am flexible, needs to be pretty easy to use (lots of the managers arent too tech savy), would prefer a decent zoom, will not really be taking pictures of people so I dont care about red eye reduction or anything along those lines, but most importantly NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO TAKE GOOD LOW LIGHT STILL PICS!!!!!

I have been looking at Canon's and Sony's mainly because those are what I use for personal pics but of course am open to other brands if they will take good pics in the dark

Thanks for any help!!!
mmrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2006, 4:48 PM   #2

For $300 you could get the Fuji F-30 which is ranked at the current low light champ.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:26 PM   #3

Any camera can take low light still pics. You need a tripod. A camera that lets you operate it without touching it (a timer for instance) is about the only requirement.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 10:58 PM   #4

Or, Jacks-

You can use a Fuji F-30 which has a setable ISO 3200 stting.

MT
Old Aug 3, 2006, 5:47 AM   #5

A setable ISO3200 and a usable ISO3200 are entirely different things. With a tripod you can take excellent pictures in low light with even the cheapest of point and shoots. Much better than a handheld shot at iso3200.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:16 AM   #6

An F-30 AND a tripod would be ideal.

Or to keep it around the $200 requested, you might be better off with the F10, or better yet it's replacement the F20 (if you can find one yet.) These wouldn't have the degree of manual controls available on the F30, but for the use you're suggesting, there aren't going to be that many users who would be taking advantage of manual settings anyway, so you could save a few bucks and keep it simple; just tell those managers to use natural light mode and point and shoot. The F20 would be pretty much ideal, as it's basically an F-30 without the manual options, and with a weaker, but still decent, battery.

My second choice in that price range would be one of the Cannon A series, the A530, A540, or A620. These are some of the best all-around cameras at that price, and will do a bit better than the Fuji F series in outdoor shots with bright sunlight. They also have several other minor advantages in overall design. But the Fuji's are easily the best for indoor shots, and especially shooting lowlight without a flash.

Keep an eye out for the F20; it should be released this month.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:42 AM   #7

Well there you have it. The Fuji F-10 is out of production, the F-20 not on the market yet, so it looks like the F-30 or one of the Canon A- series, like the 540.

MT
Old Aug 3, 2006, 11:55 AM   #8

jacks wrote:
Quote:
With a tripod you can take excellent pictures in low light with even the cheapest of point and shoots. Much better than a handheld shot at iso3200.
You must be talking about low light shots of static objects. What about low light shots taken of people? Of events? Of everything else in life? Not everything stands still for the camera.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:40 AM   #9

" You must be talking about low light shots of static objects. What about low light shots taken of people?"

If you read the original post you will find that we are indeed not taking pictures of people.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 9:51 AM   #10

jacks wrote:
Quote:
" You must be talking about low light shots of static objects. What about low light shots taken of people?"

If you read the original post you will find that we are indeed not taking pictures of people.
I read the OP, and am far from convinced that that is true. Yes, he says that he's not taking pictures of people, but he also says he's taking pictures of events like weddings. At least in the US, most weddings are still between people.

My suspicion is that what he meant was that it was not individuals up close -- the red eye issue was specifically inidcated as of no concern. I could be wrong, as the OP is less than clear to me. But it sure appears that he needs to take pictures of groups of people, in which case motion is an issue.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote