Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 3, 2006, 4:56 PM   #1

ok need some wise advice...

I believe I have finally narrowed my search for the body I will get.I have decided on theCanon 20d body. Feels just right for my hand size and I like all the features and now that the price is down with 30d out I think it is doable for me.

Now the question is lenses. I was first just thinking of getting the body and cheapestkit lens (EF-S 18-55mm ) which is $1095 at buydig.com. Andthen I want a telephoto zoom of course. I was thinking the Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM might be ok. $169. Sounds pretty cheap for a zoom lens. Is itcheap glass?

Then of course a memory card. Think 2GB is plenty large. Sandisk but regular one or extreme 3, 4, how to choose? Then maybea backpack to carry this all.

My budget is around $1400 but might be able to go $1600 if I need it andcan convince my wife.

Does anyone know of any better prices for the 20d? or any advice on getting a kit verses the body only and buying a better wide angle zoom separately? I am not as familiar with all the choices for lenses as I should be.

I did see an ad in Outdoor Photography magazine for the Tokina AF 80-400 At-X 840D but is about $650 I think, but was just drawn to it as it is a 400 and not just 300. any thoughts? or other ideas for me?

I would appreciate some help or options or thoughts.

Thanks
dandcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2006, 11:28 AM   #2

anyone out there?

Just wanting some advice for lenses really. Good but not too expensive. I am getting a Canon 20d and have about 500 more forlens. I would love to get a wide angle AND a telephoto. like close to 300mm if possible.

Is it wise to get the kit lens that comes with 20d for my wide angle? for starters at least?

Please anyone? a little help... suggestion maybe?
Old Aug 4, 2006, 2:38 PM   #3

Maybe I put this in the wrong area. Maybe should be under Canon lenses. How to move it?