Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:27 AM   #11

Code:
I guess I want to make sure what "system" or line ( Canon, Nikon, Pentax) is better in the long run?

From all of my research I keep hearing about these DSLR's

Canon Rebel XT
Nikon D 50
Pentax K100D

I thought I was sold on the Canon, but now I have doubts
It depends on your preferancesapro11;

The very first thing you should do before you look further is to carefully consider your dSLR body first.

After you have achieved your first step, then comes the lens matter. I suggest that you take a look at the lens line of each manufacturerdown the road as well to get the idea of the lens choices, then carefully consider the most capable dSLR body of the manufacturer that has the lenses you desire. Obviously you have to consider your budget too and evaluate the best combination you can afford.

If you are the most attracted towards the Canon EOS 350D dSLR, then there is so much I can do. BTW, what are your doubts about the Rebel XT??

I can continue to advice you provided you are still neutral to the three dSLRs you have mentioned.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:54 AM   #12
Super Moderator

There's good and bad news. The good news is that it's impossible to make a poor choice from your list. The bad...

Actually it can be a lot more complex than just choosing the body first.

The reason is that if this is likely a hobby you will pursue for years to come, and invest considerable resources into, then you ought really to consider the system as more important than your first camera. It seems to me from your post that you might be in this position as an enthusiastic amateur. (As I was.) Enthusiasm often turns into dedication and it can become a serious long term hobby. (As it is now for me.) Dedicated amateurs can produce very high quality photographs, just as good as the professionals, but they simply choose not to do it for a living. As a purely practical point, I know some very good professional fine-art photographers who frankly don't make much money at all.

Once you have a collection of lenses, flashguns, etc. the pain of switching systems becomes much greater. Of course nowadays there is ebay, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

In the lens world I believe that it is generally the case that Canon has a slight advantage on their lens collection compared to the rest. Not particularly in terms of quality, but rather that it is larger with something for everyone; and when it comes to the big telephoto lenses they seem to be better value-for-money i.e. very good quality and cheaper than their Nikon equivalents. This is why the majority of sports and wildlife photographers tend towards Canon.

That is not to say however than Nikon is a bad choice, just possibly that it might be a slightly more expensive one if you go down that route. I'm a Canon user, but I actually think Nikon's are cooler, but somewhat less value at the higher end.

Canon also has a few current technical advantages at the professional end of the market. They are currently the only manufacturer to use multiple sizes in their chips, and in their professional cameras have much larger chips than the other manufacturers which gives them more headroom to increase megapixels whilst maintaining their phenomenally low noise profile.

Nikon is unlikely ever to produce a larger sensor for their DSLR line, and this is hearsay, but it seems that their lens mount makes it very difficult for them to cover a larger sensor in the same way that Canon can. It is rumoured that Pentax and Sony however are in the same boat as Canon, their lens mount allows them to create bigger sensors, and it is rumoured that they may be working on such solutions.

When it comes to lenses all manufacturers have their good value consumer range and their more expensive pro lenses. Sony has a nice relationship with Zeiss, who are now going to be producing SLR lenses for the Alpha mount. Panasonic have a relationship with Leica and are now going to be producing lenses for the 4/3 mount used by Panasonic and Olympus. Canon have certain lens technologies that no other manufacturer has, and has the money to pour into R&D where all the other companies are under fairly severe financial pressure. They have the only Diffractive Optics lenses (which allow them to make smaller and lighter telephoto lenses with zero chromatic abberation at the cost of somewhat reduced resolution) they are rumoured to be working on Refractive Optics lenses which will allow them to produce ultra-high resolution wide angle lense at the expense of increased chromatic abberation.

When it comes to Image Stabilisation, there is certainly an advantage to having it in the body because all your lenses get it for free. On the other hand, it some reviewers believe it is slightly more effective in the lens. Consider also that lenses often last far far longer than bodies, especially in the digital age, and you might therefore say that the advantage of putting it in the lens is that all your bodies get it for free.

Pentax is a great name and have long produced fantastic cameras for professionals, so too are Nikon and that name certainly has some snob value, and then of course Canon is the big kid on the block; bigger and financially more secure than all the other manufacturers combined. In some ways Canon is the smarter choice therefore. They have a bunch of technology NOW that none of the others have and don't seem to be resting on their laurels, the pro Canon DSLR equipment has stolen a great deal of the medium-format film market because their products are so good.

Choosing between the 3 cameras you have listed I would probably order them Pentax, Nikon, Canon.

But when looking at the system as a whole - there's no doubt that Canon is stronger overall and looking to increase its lead.

So I guess the real question is how much your system budget is - not now, not even this year, but over the next 5-10 years.

Having said all of that, my gut feeling is that the Pentax is probably (just slightly) the best match for you, both as a camera now and as a system going forward.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 2:10 AM   #13

Up to now I still do notknow how is the image quality of the K100D, how is the high ISO performance, how is the design, how is the viewfinder, how is the multipleburst performance, and which F2.8 zoom glass for it. There are just so many variables to solve yet.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:58 AM   #14

Thanks for the input. I am an enthusiastic amateur and definitely can see myself getting more dedicated to photography in the future. That's why I want to make the right decision now on a system, so I can stay with the system, and not have to change down the line (which could be expensive in the long run). I've always felt Canon was a good choice, but again I don't have an abundance of experience in this field yet. I know down the line I will most likely upgrade cameras in the future if need be. But if I invest money in all the accessories, I want them to be usable in the future. That's my dilemma. I also thought it would be nice if I could use some of these accessories on my 35mm Canon to get the most bang for my buck (to also please my husband since this will be an expensive hobby.)

Peripatetic thanks for the advice. I guess my budget now is limited. But if photography does become a big part of my life, which I think it will since I've always wanted it to be, I can see my budget increasing. Meaning, I would like to get an item or two a year. I just have a question. To me your analysis on Canon being the leader in research, lens variety, stability, and a better system as a whole, then why do you say Pentax would be a better match for me?

BenjaminXYZ Thanks for your input. I really like the Rebel XT, but my only concern is the system that I'd be buying into. I've been researching and reading everyone's opinions, because they have more experience than me in this field. I'm just trying to get into it, but don't want to make a big financial mistake by buying into a system that won't work for me. I guess I should stick with my gut and go with Canon, because everyone is always going to have their favorite and their own opinions. I just have to learn for myself through experience and make my own opinions down the line. From what I have been reading all three systems Canon, Pentax, and Nikon are all good. I guess my husband is rubbing off on me and I'm research so much that I'm second-guessing everything.
sapro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:07 AM   #15

[code]sapro11. 8 )

I don't think you can go wrong by going Canon. Others like Nikon and Pentax are also good if not great.

The Canon EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) is a great dSLR and it has superior image quality; I don't think you can go wrong with it. 8)

Regards.:idea:

Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:09 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
To me your analysis on Canon being the leader in research, lens variety, stability, and a better system as a whole, then why do you say Pentax would be a better match for me?
Just possibly because I think the Pentax is better value for money at the "low" end.

And "low end" here is not pejorative. The real benefits to the Canon system probably only start kicking in when you're talking about a total system expenditure in the $5,000-$10,000 range.

I also have a feeling that Pentax is going to do some really good stuff in the coming years in the digital market which will make up for their relatively slow start. I know a number of Pentax medium-format users who are very brand loyal to Pentax. I think we are starting to see the beginning of some very good things from them.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 11:21 AM   #17

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
pejorative.
Damn you. I had to go look that word up!! :lol:

btw, great "rumored" information above. I've actually been steering away from Canon, but it's interesting to know their position compared to the other big names.

Personally, I think I've narrowed my choices down to the K100D and D50. But, I have yet to show up at my local camera shop for show and tell. I'd really like to see each of their viewfinders...
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:53 PM   #18

There are several real advantages to the Pentax K100D that perhaps should be noted for reference:

(a) Shake Reduction is built right into the camera body. Therefore, every lens installed on the K100D will have IS and you will not have to pay a measurably higher prices for IS equipped lenses

(b) Over their SLR history, which is a long one, 27.5 million lenses have been produced for the Pentax mount. Even the newest model, the K100D, can use any of those lenses, AND those lenses, no matter how old they might be, will be IS equipped because the IS mechanism is built into the camera body. That will greatly reduce the cost of lenses, one of the major DSLR costs. Older lenses do not fit C & N due to the fact that they have changed lens mounts over the years.

(c) The new K100Dhas a very bright viewfinder, brighter, in fact, than my Canon 350D/XT, or my Nikon D-50.

(d) The new K100D focuses faster, with greater accuarcy,than the DS, DL, XT and D-50bodies.

(e) The K100D uses four handy rechargeable AA sized batteries. That may not be a factor to some users, but it is important to many Pentax users. Spares are easily charged and equally easy to carry.

(f) The K100D is capable of ISO settings up to ISO 3200, whereas, brand C and brand N have a maximum ISO setting of ISO 1600.

(g) When most prospective DSLR buyers handle the C, N, and Pentax bodies side by side, they prefer the grip on the Pentax as well as the viewfinder on the Pentax. To actually experience and compare the handling and sighting qualities of the DSLR that you are going to invest in as a system, is very important, and should not be overlooked.

So these are just a few elements that you might want to consider in making your DSLR selection.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 1:29 PM   #19

Thanks mtclimber. You answered one of my biggest concerns. Lens mounts. I wanted a system that has the ability to have great lenses that are interchangeable (old & new). I figured that would save me money in the long run. I guess I will take the advice to go to a store and hold & try the Rebel XT verse the Pentax . I just need to find a reputable place to do that. I went to a store (Labelle Camera & Stereo) and didn't like the sales people. They were trying to rush me a sale, and I felt like they were trying to pull things over on me because I am an armature in the field. I'd ask questions, and it seemed they didn't want to bother. I also went to my local Best Buy and PC Richards, and they have no clue about photography.

I guess I need to read more to learn more. I found a number of websites that were grest on this forum.
sapro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 2:08 PM   #20

sapro-

You can always go to Circuit City, Best Buy, Costco. or any camera shopto handle the cameras, that does not mean that you have to buy your camera there at all. You might save the sales tax and even get a lower price by shopping on line.

One of the real advantages of a forum such as this one is that you can get straight answers, and noboy is selling anything or attempting to take advatage of you.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote