Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:12 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
So why doesn't everyone just pick the DSLR camera that seems best to them.
Well of course we all do that.

Quote:
That way we will save protracted discussion like this over what appear to IMHO be very small details.
But surely that's the whole point of these forums? Lots of pointless debate over tiny details.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 6:41 PM   #32

peripatetic,

I don't have info on the new Pentax, but the press release for the first one (ist D) mentions that ISO 3200 is a boost. Subsequent releases (which mostly seem like rather minor revisions of the original ist D) make no mention of this.

Combine that with the fact that it's using the standard 6MP sensor everyone else (except Canon, four-thirds, and Nikon's D2's) uses, it's rather likely that 3200 is a boost.

Either way, unless reviews show that ISO 1600 is a bit better than ISO 1600 from the Rebel XT or D50, I'm not so convinced that ISO 3200 on the K100D is better than ISO 1600 on the Rebel XT or D50 one stop underexposed.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 4:22 AM   #33

ISO 1600and ISO 3200 on the Pentax dSLRs are faily noisy as far as the few reviews can provide me with. DPreview only reviewed the Pentax IST DS model; that one wasn't quite good because itstarts loosing more image details than the othersfrom ISO 800 onwards. IMO it can't compare to the results from the Canon and Nikons offerings.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:33 AM   #34

Can anyone confirm the k100d only capable of 5 shot burst?
Angel L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2006, 8:25 PM   #35

Angel L. wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone confirm the k100d only capable of 5 shot burst?

Yes that is true, if you need long bursts you need a camera with a larger buffer. The Pentax will continue at a fairly high frame rate after the initial 5 but not fast enough for many sports events. That is why Canon and Nikon both have models optimized for high speed (sometimes with less resolution), for the sports shooter and location photojournalistprimarily. I own a Pentax DL and for the type of photography I do the burst depth is not an issue, but I do not do sports.

An earlier post mentions Nikon AI lenses, I think you should check again. The Nikon D50's light meter will not function with AI lenses, you can use manual mode but must either guess at exposure or use an external meter. Pre AI lenses will not work at all, Pentax will function, with a meter, for all K-mount lenses (except later Ricoh lenses which are not true K-mounts but KR-mounts instead). Ironically a Canon with a Nikon F-mount adapter will allow its light meter to work. I like Nikon and there are more AF Nikkors available then AF Pentax lenses, but even that is a none issue if you can get the focal lengths you need. Only the very idle rich could buy them all.

All of these cameras are great, get the model that best suits your purposes:
Good ergonomics on a budget, with full backward compatibility- Pentax*istDseries/K100D/K110D
Excellent upgrade path and solid construction but pricier for the D70, D80 still a mysterybut 10MP- Nikon D50/D70/D80
Good speed and image quality but pricier for the 20D/30D ( also full frame sensor in some pro models but beware, EF-S lenses will not work on full frame cameras) The 350D is not the most comfortable, or solid feeling,camera to hold but the 20D is a joy- Canon 350/20D/30D
Too new to say, anti-shake and dust removal features are pluses, 10MP matched only by Nikon in this end of the market, high ISO performance is very poor from first tests- Sony
Compact with many features and innovations, small sensor is a little noisy at high ISO- Olympus E-500/E-330

I have left out Fuji because their only SLR is aimed at the pro market, just as I do not specifically mention the higher end models from either manufacturer.

I think one issue here is that we can argue based on brand loyalty, but lets not get quite so carried away. I can see a lot of positive points of all brands, I chose Pentax based on price, current lenses owned, and the AA battery system ensuring battery availability for the life of the camera (I have seen several proprietary battery systems disappear over my time in photography so I will take AA over the latest greatest whiz bang system, for now at least.) It is a veryeasy to hold camera as well. If I needed a camera to shoot action I would probably have gotten a Canon or Nikon, but for my uses I will stick with Pentax.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:36 AM   #36

Monza76, I respect your opinions.

The D70s is more expensive than the EOS 350D with and without thekit lens btw, so the EOS 350D would be the cheaper alternative (Not the pricier one:-)).

Code:
Good speed and image quality but pricier ( also full frame sensor in some pro models but beware, EF-S lenses will not work on full frame cameras) - Canon 350/20D

Old Aug 11, 2006, 8:44 PM   #37

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Monza76, I respect your opinions.

The D70s is more expensive than the EOS 350D with and without thekit lens btw, so the EOS 350D would be the cheaper alternative (Not the pricier one:-)).

Code:
Good speed and image quality but pricier ( also full frame sensor in some pro models but beware, EF-S lenses will not work on full frame cameras) - Canon 350/20D
Oops, I stand corrected.

Post ammended accordingly.

Ira
Old Aug 13, 2006, 8:08 AM   #38

Monza76 (Or others who knows);

Does the K100D comes with an LCD backlight for it's status LCD panel? The Nikon D50 and the Samsung GX-1S dSLRs does not have one. In addition, does the K100D have mirror lock up (vibration reduction) for long exposures? (The Nikon D70, D50, and the D70s does not have that mirror lock up feature). Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Nevermind already, I got all the answers here>>> http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

It might stillnot have the status LCD backlight what do you think?

Old Aug 13, 2006, 6:57 PM   #39

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Monza76 (Or others who knows);

It might stillnot have the status LCD backlight what do you think?
Benjamin, more than likely the LCD is still not backlit, but I am not certain. All Pentax DSLRs have mirror lock up and depth of field preview. The Mirror lockup is tied into the 2 second self timer function.

Ira, *istDL owner and long time Pentax user.