Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:06 AM   #1

I know there's a zillion of these, but I'm not sure how many you get with 10 cameras! I truly can not choose! If you guys could help me I'd be more than appreciative. I know it might be difficult, but please, I'm looking for as many responses as possible!

You don't have to recommend just one of them. What I'm mostly looking for is about two or three that you guys would think is best? Also I really wish to know which I should just IMMEDIATLY remove, and for what reasons. Whether your post is short (totally ok) or long (the longer the better!) anything's fine. ANY input at all!

This is would be my first digital camera. I'm buying it with some of my birthday money (2 days.) Price isn't a problem really, at all. I'm gonna get a buttload of $$ =P. I'm a sixteen year old girl. I live in NYC, and I don't know much about photography. Doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn though! I use PSPX and PS often, so I'd love to have my own photos to work with. I do need a camera that would work both well in the day and in the night. I suppose I'd want a camera that truly won't seem babyish after I've 'mastered' it in a couple of months.

NOW, on to the cameras.
Side by side: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...0&show=all

Some of them are up there because I'm really interested in the big LCD (haha, I know that's bad! but I looove the concept of having this huge 3.0 inch LCD.) I know that maybe one or two or even more of them have come out (or are coming out) with a 'newer' version of the camera? Please point me in the direction of those, because I'd definately want the most recent one.

If there is a camera you'd like to request in place of one of these, or all for that matter, that you'd think would fit my needs, please tell me! I'm no good at this stuff, so please, give me your advice!

I'm also quite aware that the Canon Powershot is the best of the pack, the only reason that I'm sort of hesitating is because it's a bit large for me. As you can see I'm looking into the smaller/more compact cameras. I am in fact a NYC girl so I will be using these for parties and stuff. The aesthetics certainly aren't a big role at all, but possibly one of the other cameras is almost up to par to this one, yet cuter? If not, then I'm totally down for buying this one (as it's on the list in the first place) but maybe there are downsides, and better cameras in this bunch.

--

CANON POWERSHOT SD700 IS

Sample Photos Here

--

CANON POWERSHOT A700

Sample Photos Here

--

CANON POWERSHOT S80

Sample Photos Here

--

CASIO EX-Z850

Sample Photos Here

--

CASIO EX-Z1000

Sample Photos Here

--

FUJIFILM FINEPIX F30 ZOOM

Sample Photos Here

--

KODAK EASYSHARE V610

Sample Photos Here

--

NIKON COOLPIX S6

Sample Photos Here

--

NIKON COOLPIX P3

Sample Photos Here

--

OLYMPUS STYLUS 810

Sample Photos Here <- there are actually no samples :[

--

PLEASE ask me any questions you think are relevant!!! I'm always here to reply. I've cross posted this in a few other digital camera forums, I hope that's okay!
glamorouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 4:40 AM   #2

The Cannon SD700 IS is probably the best there. But you might also want to consider the Sony Cyber Shot DSC-T30:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/t30.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:24 AM   #3

If you want low-light photos with out flash, the Fuji F30 is the best at that. It is also a capable performer with outdoor shots.

The Canon SD700IS has image stabilization, which is good for when your hands move slightly while taking a picture.

I've read some people do not like the ergonomics of the S80, but it reportedly takes excellent pics. You will need to use a flash indoors with it, but it has a pretty strong one. The S80 does not have image stabilization. It has a wide-angle lens (28mm) which is better than most cameras for taking group photos, as you can fit more into the scene; the downside is the zoom is less than most (100mm, I think).

The Casios probably have the nicest LCD's. It's anti-shake system seems to be less effective than other image stabilization systems. However, both Casios you have listed are fine cameras.

There is nothing compelling about the Nikon, Olympus and Kodak cameras you've offered. IMHO, they are not as good as the rest of the cameras you have listed.

Another camera to consider is the Sony Cybershot DSC-W100. It's received very positive reviews.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 11:57 PM   #4

Ok guys most people in other forums gave me similar responses! I think I'm down to the T-30 (I do like it a lot!), the SD700 IS, and the Fujifilm...perhaps I'll just play around with them in the actual store, and see what I like best? Anything else to add? Did I knock some cameras that were on my listinto the water when I should look into them a bit more? Some advice? THANKS SO MUCH!
glamorouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

If at all possible, yes, look at them in store and see if you can play around with them.

My one knock on the Sony T30 is it has a pretty small flash; consequently it is less effective for indoor parties, which you have identified as one of your main shooting venues. However, the size might be ideal for you.

I think your selection of "finalists" is a very good one. You can't go wrong with any of those cameras.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 12:41 PM   #6

Those would be my final three as well.

I think all are equally a bit underpowered in the flash department. The Fuji is able to compensate a bit more by boosting the ISO. But for handheld shots, a bit more noise but less blur from optical stabilization will often be a nice tradeoff for the other two. For indoor shots, any of these can handle most interiors by boosting the ISO a bit. Still, the Fuji will do better in lower light, as it has a wider range of useable ISO.

I thik the choice between the F30 and the other two might depend in part on how serious you are about your photography. If you're going to be fiddling alot with the menus anyway to set things how you like, it's not really that hard to adjust the metering and white balance settings between indoor and outdoor shots as needed. And there's a button for EV compensation right on back of the camera. Likewise, if you're going to be doing post processing anyway, then you'll get great results with the Fuji even in high contrast shots in bright sunlight.

But, most of the time, the Sony or Cannon will give results as good or better than the Fuji with less fuss. And, it can take some time to develop a steady hand as well. So an inexperienced photographer will especially benefit from the optical stabilization. The blur form a shaky hand is one thing that can't be corrected in post processing.

So for most point and shoot users, I think the Sony or Cannon will be a better choice. They're a bit better overall in their design and regular functioning, and will produce more consistent results when used as a pure point and shoot. The F30, however, can be a great value if you're willing to work around it's quirks, especially if you're on a tight budget.

And it would be nice if those models had a few more manual controls, but you can always buy a dSLR later, and learn all about manual settings, if you get really serious about photography. But you can still develop your eye for composition, and your understanding of light, highlights, shadows, perspective, focus, depth of field, and more--while also taking some great pictures--using a good convenient point and shoot.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote