Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:06 PM   #1

So I used to be very interested in photography 15 years ago...Had a nice Nikon with a number of lenses, etc. But I basically fell out it and moved on to other interests. I am traveling more and more now and have been using a 4MP Powershot S40 for the last 4 years or so. It has been pretty good and the quality has amazed me at times..But it is time to step up.

I was originally going to look hard at the Cannon S3 IS as one of the biggest issues with my Powershot is the lack of zoom (only 3X optical). Also, I think the 12x feature of the S3 coupled with stabilization sounds great to cover my sometimes shaky hands!

But I'd like the flexibility to move to to other lenses in the future and the S3 IS is already too big to be a compact, so I was thinking an SLR...So here are my questions.

1) Do the SLRs have Image Stabilization built in, as I don't see the feature listed? Is the feature in the lenses?

2) What would the advantage, other than lens flexibility, moving to an SLR vs the S3 IS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Oz
Ozzy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2006, 3:50 PM   #2

I'll take a crack at this, although I hope some of the more knowlegeable forum members will respond, as well.

In answer to your first question, concerning IS, the answer is that some camera bodies incorporate IS: Konica/Minolta (now defunct), Sony (heir to the aformentioned K/M technology and lens mount), and Pentax. The other two major players, Canon and Nikon, offer IS in certain lenses, but not body-integral...YET!

The answer second question, in part, is that all dSLR cameras use a larger sensor, which generally means better image quality, less noise, and higher ISO. In addition, you usually get some other, more pro-oriented features, such as accessory flash shoe, more detailed settings for various camera functions, ability to shoot RAW, and so on. Another advantage, IMO, is the manual zoom ring that is part of a dSLR system, which is usually not incorporated into a consumer-oriented point and shoot.

Hope that gets you started.

~Eddie
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:54 PM   #3

Oz-

To answer your question properly we should look at a specific camera so you can see the particular feature set that camera has. Please take a look at the recently released Pentax K100D. It has IS (it is called "AS" by Pentax to denote Anti Shake) and all the usual features. You will see that not only does it have more features but it also has the added flexibility of interchangeable lenses that the Canon S-3 does not have.

I own a K100D and I like it very much. I would suggest that you take a look at the Pentax SLR folder on this forum, where the camera is being actively discussed and you can also see photo samples as well.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 7:10 PM   #4
Administrator

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Please take a look at the recently released Pentax K100D. It has IS (it is called "AS" by Pentax to denote Anti Shake) and all the usual features.
Actually, AS (Anti-Shake) was a Konica Minolta term, first introduced with the Minolta DiMAGE A1.

Pentax calls their technology SR (Shake Reduction)

Just to make it more interesting, Sony renamed the Anti-Shake in the KM technology they acquired to SSS (Super Steady Shot), a term they already used for their existing lenses with vibration reduction built in.

Ooops.... I guess I can't use the term Vibration Reduction (VR), since that's a Nikon trademark. lol

Each manufacturer tends to call it something different. :-)

Sony - SS (Steady Shot) and SSS (Super Steady shot) -- both lens and CCD Shift Technologies, depending on the camera model

Nikon - VR (Vibration Reduction) -- Lens only solution

Canon - IS (Image Stabilization) - Lens only solution

Konica Minolta - AS (Anti-Shake) - CCD Shift Technology

Pentax - SR (Shake Reduction) - CCD Shift Technology

Panasonic - OIS (Optical Image Stablizer) - Lens only solution

Sigma - OS (Optical Stabilizer) - Lens only solution

There are more, too. I'd have to dig around to find all of the trademarks used for similar technology by other manufacturers.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2006, 8:11 PM   #5

Thanks, JimC-

Owning both a KM 5D and the K100D,I got the term confused, as I am more used to AS than SR. I apologize for my error.

But in the final analysis, the terms may change, but the feature remains the same. What we are discussing is shake reduction that is built into the camera body. Currently the only new cameras being produced and sold are the Pentax K100D, and the Sony A-100 Alpha. There are some remaining KM 5D's and 7D's on dealer shelves somwhere, but that is it, as the KMDSLR cameras are no longer produced.

In body Shake Reduction is highly desireable because it essentially makes every lens mounted on the camera body IS equipped. It is a legacy from the KM heritage of technology developments.

MT/Sarah
Old Aug 7, 2006, 5:56 AM   #6

Thanks for the help guys. I have decided to go SLR. Narrowed down to the Canon Rebel 350, the Nikon D70s and the Pentax. I like the "anti shake" in the body and Pentax seems to be a more affordable solution...although I worry if this is the body I want if I'm going to get more serious about photography in the long run. Although I have yet to see a Pentax and would love to see a review on this site or others...

Thanks again for the help, and if you have any nuggets of genius regarding the 3 bodies I'm looking at, by all means share with me! I looked at a comparison of the Canon vs Nikon and it just got my head spinning...

Take it easy.

Ozzy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:42 AM   #7

Oz-

Pentax will give you the best value and superb optics as well. I am making the assumption due to handle that you are an Australian, though I could be wrong. The Pentax k100D + 18-55mm kit lens and the Pentax 50-200mm lens provides an excellent kit covering, in 35mm terms a focal length spannning from 27mm to 300mm, all with Shake Reduction. It makes an attractive package.

MY
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:44 AM   #8

if your really not sure why you want to move up to a DSLR, and have not noticed where it would be better than your camera, then you dont need a DSLR. a dslr means buying a body, spending loads on lenses,flash systems etc. its a lot more work.

i have a panasonic FZ7 which im happy about but in low light suituations, where i need a high ISO, as taking shots and i cant afford to have a shutter speed of 1 second or more ( as animals move). for this reason, i am looking into getting a DSLR. its a big jump thouh, and i have a lot of research ahead of me as to what camera will suit my needs for the best cost. dont buy one because you think it might be nice to have one, buy one because you have a genuine reason to do so
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 10:04 AM   #9

With an slr, you can get as involved as you want, take control of as many details as you please. DOF, limitless lens selection, speed, easy to manipulate when you have creative ideas and so on. Perhaps cumbersome for snapshots, but neccasary if you feel like playing art student.

Canon and Nikon offer IS/VR (stabilized) lenses, some affordable and some cost prohibitive. Pentax and Sony/Minolta offer stabilzed camera bodies that work with any lens. This is cheaper and can do some things a stabilzed lens wont (Do you need that? I dont know. I have it and like it).

The real deal breaker for me is depth of field. I love out of focus backgrounds and all the things you can do with that, you cannot achieve this with a compact camera (except for some restricted circumstances). Flip side is that if you want everything in focus with an slr you might have to stop down more than a compact camera, causing higher iso and/or longer shutter speeds. I havent found that to be a problem though.

Choosing which catagory camera (compact/crossover/slr) is important, but specific models within each catagory are usually very similar. Dont buy a 4x4 suv to take to the race track, and dont buy a ferrari to commute in traffic and winter weather. Each might be on top of its game, but are optimized for different uses. An slr is a great way (the only way) to go if you want to get involved in your photography, but if your more of a happy-snapper it could just be extra bulk.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote