Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:45 AM   #11

Code:
Not sure about the D70s but in the DPReview page the d70 had noise performance similar the the *ist DS... the only recent DSLRs I've seen that had pretty poor high ISO performance were the Olympus cameras though. You cant deny the advantage of being able to stop down a couple of stops though... and its not just landscapes, still life and portaits will benifit from SR too. Good ISO performance and fast lenses are great... but dont forget you can combine both of those with the stabilisation too.
The rest of your replies are okay and I can't comment on them.

However, I would like to let you know something different about high ISO performances. Good ISO performance is not only about clean images, but it is also about image detail retentions. The details available in the higher ISO settings are the most importantfactors of all since once they are gone, they are gone forever. Look at the Panasonics, their boosted ISOs are really clean, but they are also as equally free of details.

Currently I think that the Nikon D70s, D50, and the EOS 350D (To name a few) are the best ones at the high ISO performance retaining both details without too muchintrusive noises. Look at the Nikon D70s at the highest ISO, all it's noises are monochromic and details are all intact.

The most irritating noise characteristics of all IMO are chroma and or chroma blotches and red channel noises (The worse claimed by reviewers). Sure, the EOS 350D, D50 and all the others (Except the D70s) all has them (Chroma noises), but they are very minimal indeed to pose an issue.

The D70s only have a fraction of chroma noises at higher ISOs, most of it's noises are monochromic or film like grain at that level. (The best type of noise characteristic asclaimed by reviewers).
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:26 AM   #12

bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I was comparing *ist DL vs Nikon D50 and siding with Nikon due to availability of lenses and potential to upgrade. The Nikon lenses with "VR" are extremely expensive. Does the AS feature on the K100D give access to this technology on cheaper lenses and effectively make it a better budget choice?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I am an unbiased Pentax owner, given the lower cost of the K100D with AS compared with the far more expensive D50 with VR lens I would choose the Pentax. The details being argued over here pretain mainly to *ist series Pentax cameras (the K100D has a new jpeg processor which is greatly improved, as is its focus speed) and to very high ISO performance.

Either of these cameras would make an excellent choice however the Pentax does offer more "bang-for-the-buck" right now. Realistically, if you plan on becoming a globe trotting pro photographer you are better off with the Nikon since you can upgrade to high end pro equipment and lenses. For those of modest means and modest expectations the Pentax is more appealing. One other very minor point is that the Pentax body is compatible with all Pentax made K-mount lenses, even the original 1970s vintage models, and all 42mm screw mount lenses with an inexpensive adapter. In order to get that level of compatibility from Nikon you must move up to the higher end models, not the D50.

Given the tone of some of the posts in this thread I may draw some flack for these comments but they are just one opinion.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:20 AM   #13

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
bobinoz wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I was comparing *ist DL vs Nikon D50 and siding with Nikon due to availability of lenses and potential to upgrade. The Nikon lenses with "VR" are extremely expensive. Does the AS feature on the K100D give access to this technology on cheaper lenses and effectively make it a better budget choice?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I am an unbiased Pentax owner, given the lower cost of the K100D with AS compared with the far more expensive D50 with VR lens I would choose the Pentax. The details being argued over here pretain mainly to *ist series Pentax cameras (the K100D has a new jpeg processor which is greatly improved, as is its focus speed) and to very high ISO performance.

Either of these cameras would make an excellent choice however the Pentax does offer more "bang-for-the-buck" right now. Realistically, if you plan on becoming a globe trotting pro photographer you are better off with the Nikon since you can upgrade to high end pro equipment and lenses. For those of modest means and modest expectations the Pentax is more appealing. One other very minor point is that the Pentax body is compatible with all Pentax made K-mount lenses, even the original 1970s vintage models, and all 42mm screw mount lenses with an inexpensive adapter. In order to get that level of compatibility from Nikon you must move up to the higher end models, not the D50.

Given the tone of some of the posts in this thread I may draw some flack for these comments but they are just one opinion.

Ira
Most of my points deal with the *ist series as that is the one I am familiar with and the one I've heard reviews for... the few users reports I've heard say the K100D is better though, so I think it woulddefinatlybe a good choice(actually I think pretty much ANY DSLR wouldl be a good choice). I think the lens compatability is not a minor point to me(one of my main purchasing factors) as I had some Pentax lenses and I see that I can buy a variety of lenses for under $100... but if youwant autofocus this will indeed be a very minor point. I think the D50 is a great little camera, but the Pentax offers a bit more bang for the buck(depending on where you live, camera pricing is not consistent in various parts of the world).

SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:43 AM   #14

SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
Most of my points deal with the *ist series as that is the one I am familiar with and the one I've heard reviews for... the few users reports I've heard say the K100D is better though, so I think it woulddefinatlybe a good choice(actually I think pretty much ANY DSLR wouldl be a good choice).
One of the reasons that I seldom post in this particular forum ("What Camera Should I Buy?") is that we often get ridiculous arguments over minutiae. All of these cameras are great, I have often said that the worst DSLR available today is merely fantastic. Most of us are actually far more interested in getting good pictures (I would hope)with a user-friendly comfortable camera than we are in the best spec sheet.

This is starting to sound like the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments of the 1960s.

Ira
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:57 AM   #15

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
Most of my points deal with the *ist series as that is the one I am familiar with and the one I've heard reviews for... the few users reports I've heard say the K100D is better though, so I think it woulddefinatlybe a good choice(actually I think pretty much ANY DSLR wouldl be a good choice).
Quote:

One of the reasons that I seldom post in this particular forum ("What Camera Should I Buy?") is that we often get ridiculous arguments over minutiae. All of these cameras are great, I have often said that the worst DSLR available today is merely fantastic. Most of us are actually far more interested in getting good pictures (I would hope)with a user-friendly comfortable camera than we are in the best spec sheet.

This is starting to sound like the old Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments of the 1960s.

Ira
Quote:

Haha yep... the problem is the cameras of today are all quite good... and there is nothing to argue over except littledetails It is an internet forum, and we have to discuss something I guess, it wouldn't be very interesting if we didnt.

Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:04 PM   #16

SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
Haha yep... the problem is the cameras of today are all quite good... and there is nothing to argue over except littledetails It is an internet forum, and we have to discuss something I guess, it wouldn't be very interesting if we didnt.
Good point, as long as we keep it civil.

BTW I bought Pentax for a couple of reasons,
1) - I already had many years of experience with Pentax, and some decent lenses.
2) - This may sound silly but I reasoned that an established, non-proprietary battery system was important, especially since I live in a rural area. Buying extra proprietary batteries for most brands is somewhat costly, and there is no inexpensive backup.

And I must also admit it was the lowest cost model available here, by a significant amount.

Ira
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:09 PM   #17

Well I certainly hope I was keeping it civil... I've seen some of these discussion get pretty nasty before and I dont want to be a main participant if thats the case. Your reasons for buying Pentax were my reasons too. Like I said, I dont think you can go wrong with any of the DSLRs today... but I do think the litttle details like non-proprietary batteries can be a deciding factor sometimes.