Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:43 AM   #1

Hi All

I have been reading through the forums here and at dpreview and thought I would post my first message to get some input on my dilemma:?

I currently own a Sony W1 p&s which has done me fine but my wife has since been bought a T9 for her birthday and now we have 2 cameras which are pretty much identical, I am looking to upgrade. I was looking at upgrading to a super-zoom/bridge camera (H5, S3is or fz30) as theyseem to be a good step up in getting to learn more about photography however, since looking at the forums, I am wondering wether to go the whole hog and get a budget dslr as they do not cost that much more initially and are a whole lot more flexible.

I have a 2 year old son and my photos will be mainly of him and friends/family aswell as for holidays and also taking pics in the garden of flowers/birds/insects etc!!

My photography knowledge is basic but I am looking to learn more and get into it a lot more.

Any input is much appreciated

Mike
miked2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:32 AM   #2

As an addition to the initial post, I have seen the Pentax *ist dl2 kits for £340 approx (18-55 lens), is this a good alternative to the Canon 350 and Nikon D50 as they were the others I was looking at?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:30 AM   #3

miked-

The Pentax K100D kit would be a much better choice, as it represents a measured departure from the "D" camera for Pentax by adding SR (shake reduction or IS)built into the camera body, and 2 additional and decisive improvements.

(a) A whole new image processor, giving beter .jpg's and raw images

(b) A much faster (50%+) focusing system

(c) Improved noise signature with 3200 the maximum ISO setting

IMHO the grip and viewfinder on the Canon XT are deficient, and while the Nikon D-50has a very low noise signature, the lenses are too costly IMHO. I own all three of your discussed cameras as I am a professional DSLR instructor, and I favor the K100D.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:42 AM   #4

MT

Thanks for the reply. It's good to get some advise from someone who has owned all of the cameras I am looking at. I have seen the K100 in only a few places on the net and have not been able to see one in the flesh yet but will aim to do so ASAP. With regards to the kits available, are the lenses a good option for someone like myself who is starting out? I have seen this camera on the internet withboth 18-55 and 50-200 Pentax lenses for £594!!

Also, this camera is that bit more expensive than the *ist sl2 and D50, is that extra expense worth it in the long run (I assume with the stabilization it is!!)???
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:31 PM   #5

miked-

Yes, because the K100D has just been introduced, the prices are still high. However, they are available on the internet. That is where I purchased mine.

The 18-55mm kit lens and the 50-200mm lens are both really excellent lenses. I use both of them all the time. Here is another idea - With the introduction of the K100D, the DS model prices have falled dramaticall in the USA. If money is an issue, that might be a good alternative.

Finally, I honestly believe that the K100 is worth the extra $$, but it is a personal choice.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 12:40 PM   #6

Is the K100D worth the extra cost? That's a personal decision. One that I'm having a really hard time with right now. Before it came out, there was no way I was interested in upgrading my DS. Now that I've heard from some people that have used both, and have seen photos taken with the K100D, I'm changing my mind. I think I'm going to be eating my words, when I said that I was going to wait a year or 2, since I've only had my DS for 6 months. It's driving me NUTS!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:29 AM   #7

OK,

After much deliberation and soul searching :?I have pretty much come to the consideration that DSLR is not the way to go for me I believe :!:

Reasons for this are mainly the fact that I originally just wanted extra zoom power and some more manual features and I believe I got caught up in the DSLR hype as I am unsure as to how much deeper I want to get into photography and also carry around lots of gear!!

I believe a super-zoom/bridge camera will fit my needs (not to mention my wallet:O) a lot better and by looking at some of the results, I will be able to learn to get a lot more out of my photo's with such a camera!!

If I then feel the urge to get into it more, I will then have to look at upgrading to DSLR.

So my choices come down to the S3is, H2/5 or the FZ30/50. I'm leaning more towards the FZ30 as I know it has noise issues but looking at the forum here I can learn how to get the best out of it PLUS I have handled the camers and it felt really solid/sturdy in my hands and I was quite impressed with it!!