Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:08 AM   #11

slipe wrote:
Quote:
But if you want limited light action shots the F30 can't be beat.
Not necessarily "action" shots...people moving at all can cause blur.

slipe wrote:

Quote:
The SD700 also does better in bright light with better dynamic range. Simon says that you need post processing to get F30 daylight shots to look good. The SD700 is good right out of the box. I also prefer the 4X zoom.

I haven't needed PP to make my daylight shots look good. But, I have noticed that Canon colors look much more saturated. Some people may prefer this.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I also prefer the 4X zoom.
Sure, I prefer 4x zoom too. I prefer 12x zoom. But, is 4x really much more than 3x? I have a 4x camera and a 3x camera and I have not noticed the difference.

---

Oh, and regards to the ISO samples you posted. I would like to second, third, and fourth, etc.....the F30's ISO3200 is really disgusting looking...or am I the first person to say this? I will never use it.

I am even afraid of using ISO1600. To me, ISO1600 is the ISO to use "in a pinch". 3200 is out of the question.

IS is definitely nothing to look down upon. I have a camera with IS and it has spoiled me to the point that I often forget what it's doing until I use one of my other non-IS camera's.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:50 AM   #12

No opinion here, just sharing.

My Canon A95 died, well sort of, the shutter won't open any more. So what I decided was to buy the F30 (ordered and on it's way) as an interim camera - still have kids on summer break - and to give it to my wife and daughter when I get my camera to replace the dead Canon.
After I've used the F30 a few months I'll likely decide between the FinePix S6500fd (10X zoom and ISO 3200) and the Canon PowerShot S3 IS. Now one thing you can't correct with IS is subject motion in low light which I can fix with the FinePix by sitting the camera on a tripod or a beanbag. BTW I have a Canon 10X binocular with IS and I love it! :-)

yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:58 PM   #13

Seems like the F30 is the fan favorite, and the Canon is just a more known and advertised brand. I still havent decided that i wanna get, but i am more confident that either one will do fine.

Now, the one thing i want to ask again..........

I can pickup the Canon SD700 IS for 430$ CAD..flat...

The Fujifilm F30 will run me about 515$ after taxes..

Any comments??? Now, i do plan to use this alot as a point-and-shoot and for parties, etc. Low light will probably happend here and there. Will the IS and longer-exposure do me ok??? Anyone use the Canon for parties, etc.??? and with what results?

Thnx for all the comments guys, really helping me out here.
Ruski1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2006, 7:50 PM   #14

Ruski1982 wrote:
Quote:
Seems like the F30 is the fan favorite, and the Canon is just a more known and advertised brand. I still havent decided that i wanna get, but i am more confident that either one will do fine.

Now, the one thing i want to ask again..........

I can pickup the Canon SD700 IS for 430$ CAD..flat...

The Fujifilm F30 will run me about 515$ after taxes..

Any comments??? Now, i do plan to use this alot as a point-and-shoot and for parties, etc. Low light will probably happend here and there. Will the IS and longer-exposure do me ok??? Anyone use the Canon for parties, etc.??? and with what results?

Thnx for all the comments guys, really helping me out here.
I paid 312 USfor the F30 from BUYDIG.COM. At the time there was also a 50 dollar rebate, but I don't think FUJI is offering that now.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:47 PM   #15

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ix_f30-review/

If you compare the ISO 400 of the F30 as against the ISO 400 of the SD700 (in this thread) there simply is no comparison. Even the ISO 800 of the F30 blows away the ISO 400 of the SD700. It is only the ISO1600 of the F30 wherein the noise levels are still slightly less compared to the ISO 400 of the SD700. Only at the F-30's ISO3200 is the ISO 400 of the SD700 superior. You can click on the link above and see so yourself.

Perhaps it would have been better that point be made clear.
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:09 PM   #16

I'm Canadian and bought the F30 online,you'll have to pay GST 6% and customs handling fee at around $100 CAD total. Also I added a international 3 yr. warrantee for and additional $59 US.

It came in yesterday and after about of a 100 shots I'm quite happy with it. It does indeed do well in low light – as in indoors – settings. The pictures look more warm and natural lacking the washing out artifacts I tend to associate with normal indoor pictures. It does as advertised in the sense that the camera sees as your eyes sees.

As of now and as I said I have yet to decide on my future camera between the FinePix S6500fd (10X zoom and ISO 3200) and the Canon PowerShot S3 IS. If only the FinePix could incorporate optical IS and a flip screen it would be a no brainer for me.
yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:10 AM   #17

al1012 wrote:
Quote:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...ix_f30-review/

If you compare the ISO 400 of the F30 as against the ISO 400 of the SD700 (in this thread) there simply is no comparison. Even the ISO 800 of the F30 blows away the ISO 400 of the SD700. It is only the ISO1600 of the F30 wherein the noise levels are still slightly less compared to the ISO 400 of the SD700. Only at the F-30's ISO3200 is the ISO 400 of the SD700 superior. You can click on the link above and see so yourself.

Perhaps it would have been better that point be made clear.
You are right, when you compare the ISO....F30 wins hands down.

However, what is holding me back is the lack of IS and the fact that i gotta buy a damn xD card for the Fujifilm.

Also, its hard to decide which will be more usefull in the longrun, the great performance in low-light for (parties, etc.) or the IS for (those drunk shaky hands lol)

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:18 AM   #18

yawglenn wrote:
Quote:
I'm Canadian and bought the F30 online,you'll have to pay GST 6% and customs handling fee at around $100 CAD total. Also I added a international 3 yr. warrantee for and additional $59 US.
From the prices i am getting in the US, it seems better to just buy either Camera here in Canada.

I can get the F30 for 389$ + tax = $448 if i get it from US or elsewhere it will cost: ( '280$US' ~325 + 120 (tax and customs) = $445 So basically same price.

the Canon SD700 IS I can pickup for 429$ flat. And since usually the Canon is 100$ more than the F30, it feels like a good deal.

Anyway, i still cant decide

Anymore comments, experiences would be welcome.

A couple of other things that bug me abit about F30 are: Lack of IS, lack of optical viewfinder, xD cards.

Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:49 PM   #19

Code:
I think alot of people on both sides are exagerating some of the differences in these two cameras. I see no great difference in daylight. The F30 photos outdoors look quite good to me; colors look great. I do see a slight tendency to overexpose in auto mode (using multi metering) in bright daylight; but there's a button right on the camera for adjusting the exposure, and everyone who knocks it down a click or two in bright sunlight (or simply uses average metering) seems to get outstanding results. I think colors are a bit more saturated on the SD700, but I don't see a dramatic difference (and the less saturated color may be more "accurate"). 

On the other hand I don't see a dramatic difference for most indoor shots either. I think both of these cameras excel in moderate light, in the kind of open indoor spaces you can't light with a flash. The Fuji does it by boosting ISO. The Cannon is capable of instead using longer shutters for some handheld shots.

Of course there are going to be some situations that favor one camera over another. When you have movement and want to stop action you're going to be better off with the high ISO of the Fuji. I also think the On the other hand, the optical IS on the Cannon is not only useful in low light, it can be helpful on any hand held shot. And using high ISO for "anti-shake" isn't any more practical a substitue for the real thing than using IS in low light to substitute for high ISO. It would be nice to have both.

I compared these two recently for myself, and ended up buying the F30. But for me there was also near to a $100 US price difference in favor of the F30. Also, I also wanted a camera to learn some on, and the additional manual controls on the F30 were very imporant to me. But I think most people would likely prefer the SD700.

The F30 is popular aound here partly because it partly appeals to some enthusiasts. If you look on pbase, there are only 4 users who have posted photos with the SD700, while 35 have used the F30. Also, I think some of the F30 users pictures look so good partly because so many of them are better/more experienced photographers. Alot of the enthusiasm is also due to the fact that the F30 is more of a "new kid on the block". Cannon has been making the best compact cameras for years. It's nice to see some competition emerging. 

But, the Cannon is a bit more refined overall. It pretty much does eveything well, with not much in the way of even minor flaws. If you're mostly shooting handheld, as most people would be with a pocket camera, you'll probably benefit enough from the IS on the Cannon to make that your first choice. But I can alo tell you I really like my F30 so far, so I don't think you'll go wrong with either.
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:15 PM   #20

Quote:
A couple of other things that bug me abit about F30 are: Lack of IS, lack of optical viewfinder, xD cards.
I don't think the xD cards are that big of a deal. I just got a 1GB card for mine for just under $40 US online. But the optical viewfinder is very nice to have, and the IS is huge. The 4x zoom is also very nice. Someone mentioned that it's not *that* much better than 3X; but it's still one of the bigger differences there is between these two.

Really I think these are about the same overall in image quality, and the SD700 has the edge in overall convenience and features, unless manual controls are important to you. The F30 really shouldn't be more than $375 - $400 CD; The SD700 is a good deal for under $450 CD. Unless you can find a better price on the Fuji, you're probably best off just buying the Cannon.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote