Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:02 PM   #31

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
My F30 shoots ISO 100 in auto... not sure why yours doesn't. I'm not saying it gets it right every time but I just reviewed several shots I took in average daylight and I got ISO 100 most of the time.
I took outdoor pictures another day and the camera used ISO100 often enough. I should have noted this so ppl weren't wondering what was up with it.

Anyways...it just seemed wierd that the camera picked anything beyond ISO100 in bright settings w/ auto mode.
What metering mode are you using? I'm gonna try runningspot meteringand switching back for comparison to see if it makes a difference.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:43 PM   #32

swgod98 wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Here's an indoor ISO 1600
Amazing a compact PnS can do that! But,the images look washed out at 1600. I still think ISO100-400 is where it's at...800 if need be. I really wish the F30 had an AUTO800 mode.
I expect the colors to diminsh in poor lighting... even my eyes do that... LOL.

Yes... Auto 800 would be nice, but you can always set your own ISO speed. Full Auto modes are nice and the main reasons people buy PnS cameras, but then you have to live with the cameras choice.

As good as it gets, there are always going to compromises at high ISO. This has always been the case even with film. I've never been a fan of high ISO, but it serves a purpose. Even 3200, which is pretty awful has purpose. It will give you photos that are notpossible otherwise. A perfect example of when you might need high ISO is when you can't use a flash for indoor performances where all you have is ambient stage lighting. I would rather have an image with some noise than to not have an image at all if the subject is something like my daughter's dance recital. BTW... for situations like I just described, I use my DSLR paired up with a very bright lens. The F30 and and other PnS cameras are remarkable, but are no match for a DSLR that has a larger sensor and the flexiblity of being able to use a bright lens. Even my DSLR's 3200 ISO is bad, but it is better than a PnS.

Obviously, not everyone has or wants a DSLR so when that's the case, theonly answer is make do with the tools on hand. Just as a PnS is not match for DSLR when it comes to image quality, a DSLR is no match for a PnS when it comes to convenience. There are shots I would never take in situations where a DSLR is not welcome or practical. That's why I bought an F30... simply because one camera can't do it all.

Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:39 PM   #33

Blah!!!! Now i am leaning towards the F30 after seeing some of these posted pics. Could someone post some SD700 picks??? I really want to see a comparison.

I have looked at some of the samples but would like a few shots to compare.
Ruski1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:07 AM   #34

just have a look at the postings in the fuji-forum of dpreview...it is full of stunning f30 examples...
michael1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:39 AM   #35

Hey all,

Ok, one final question:

I am on the F30 fan-team now lol, so probably will get it....however,

F30 + 1GB xD card will cost me with taxes --> ~ $535 CAD

SD700 IS + 2GB SD card will cost me with taxes --> ~ $490 CAD

I know that alot of people selected the F30 because SD700 IS was ~ 150$ more. In my case i can pickup the SD700 IS for ~50 less than the F30. So the final question is:

"Is it worth it to pay more for the F30 than SD700 IS???"

Please let me know folks. Thanks.
Ruski1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:39 PM   #36

I don't think that a $45 difference is enough to sway me one way or the other, when you're talking about approx. $500 worth of camera equipment. I would go for the camera that I want based on the features that are most important to me.

I already owned the F10 but decided to get the F30 mostly because it features aperture and shutter priority, something that neither the F10 nor the SD700 have. Even if the F30 had cost more (within reason) than the SD700, I still would have chosen the F30. Both have very good image quality; I just decided that the manual controls on the F30 were more important to me.

Stephanie

My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:25 AM   #37

sjseto wrote:
Quote:
I don't think that a $45 difference is enough to sway me one way or the other, when you're talking about approx. $500 worth of camera equipment. I would go for the camera that I want based on the features that are most important to me.

I already owned the F10 but decided to get the F30 mostly because it features aperture and shutter priority, something that neither the F10 nor the SD700 have. Even if the F30 had cost more (within reason) than the SD700, I still would have chosen the F30. Both have very good image quality; I just decided that the manual controls on the F30 were more important to me.

Stephanie

My Fujifilm FinePix F30 and F10 galleries
I agree, 45 dollars is not enough to make me pick one over the other. That would only influence me if two models were almost completely identical in features and specs.

I purchased an F30 to compliment my DSLR and mainly for my wife to use, but being a DSLR shooter, I also wanted manual controls. The major reason I bought it was for it's low light results and compact size. In that arena it is tough to beat.

Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:01 AM   #38

Actually the ISO 800 option on the IXUS 800 IS is one of the best in the market. It is not bad at all if you take a look.

The optical IS feature is very important to prevent handshake at all.

The Canon performs well in broad daylight and also in dim lighting conditions. The Fuji is exceptional in the high ISO arena but it suffers a bit in broad daylight.

In all honesty, the Canon IXUS 800 IS is also a very good high ISO performer.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:56 AM   #39

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Actually the ISO 800 option on the IXUS 800 IS is one of the best in the market. It is not bad at all if you take a look.

The optical IS feature is very important to prevent handshake at all.

The Canon performs well in broad daylight and also in dim lighting conditions. The Fuji is exceptional in the high ISO arena but it suffers a bit in broad daylight.

In all honesty, the Canon IXUS 800 IS is also a very good high ISO performer.
I'm just curious, but do you actually own or have used both of thesecameras? In what way does the Fuji suffer in daylight?

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:15 PM   #40

Code:
I'm just curious, but do you actually own or have used both of thesecameras? In what way does the Fuji suffer in daylight?
No, I do not owned any of them. However, I have read reviews of them both. The F30 suffers purple fringings, bloomings, CAsand blown out highlights in the bright. The Canon can handle bright situations better. Read the F30 review at dpreview and check out the conclusion.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote