Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

Is this camera OK in your opinion?
Mystery Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2006, 2:51 PM   #2

The camera is fine and the W-10has done so well Pentax is coming out with the higher mp W-20.

The W-10 has a legion of happy users simply because the W-10 meetsthe real needs of acive people and Itr works well, doing just what it claims.

Check the reviews!

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:00 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
The camera is fine and the W-10has done so well Pentax is coming out with the higher mp W-20.

The W-10 has a legion of happy users simply because the W-10 meetsthe real needs of acive people and Itr works well, doing just what it claims.

Check the reviews!

MT
Thanks. Have you used one before?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:17 PM   #4

Bob-

Yes, I have, and it really works well. I like it a lot However, my daughter how is the family surfer, really uses the W-10 big time. We are about to get another W-10 becaue everyone in the family wants to use it. I really like products that actually do exactly what the claim to do, without exception.

MT

Old Aug 8, 2006, 3:55 PM   #5

Cool. I appreciate the imput, I windsurf here on Maui's north shore. Felt this would be a goodcamera to cruise around the beach with since it could go near or in the surf, and hosing off after salt spray sounds good. It's a constant here with tradewinds blowing. Where does your daughter surf.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:54 PM   #6

She surfs in San Diego, but dreams of Hawaii.

MT
Old Aug 8, 2006, 8:16 PM   #7

I realize that the camera is really good!

But I still have some doubts in choosing the pentax w10 or the olympus 720 sw

I'm a surfer and I want to take some surf photos inside water, but I'm afraidthat the cameracould be spoiled with the wavespressure.... I'vebeen trough many sites, reviews and forums, but i didnĀ“t decided witch camera should I buy, mainly because I readthata couple of guyshad drownedtheir w10!! ( the olympus is in many aspects worst than the w10 but is far more resistant)

Can the camera hold it's waterproof ness with the impact of the waves? Anddid your daughter took her inside water with wave?

Regards

Fiji
fiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2006, 10:56 PM   #8

On Maui, all the "real" surf photograpers in the water use expensive cameras inside expensive housings. Those on land use long telephoto lenses on tripods. They cost plenty. I wouldn't attempt to use the Pentax in huge surf but I may try it around the shore and in smaller waves. There shouldn't be much pressure near the surface. Do you live in Fiji?
Old Aug 8, 2006, 11:25 PM   #9

Thanks, if you can please reply as soon as possible, because I think I will buy ittomorrow or the day after.

Unfortunately I don't live in Fiji. that's my nick name because it is the place were i dream of ... Hopefully I'll go there some day.:roll:

I live in Portugal, but i do a lot of surf trips from Europe to south America and Indonesia. i know that professional photographers use camera housings, but i want a camera to take from daily photos to some underwater too. i don't want any housing because i want a camera that i can carry around in my pocket and to travel with. I'm not interested to take photos on huge waves, just on smallest ones... but I'm still afraid it gets "drowned".

Fiji
fiji is offline   Reply With Quote