Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:03 PM   #21

Another vote for the DL. I think it's an incredible value. It was my first dSLR and I couldn't believe the image quality difference between it and the Kodak P850 I sold to pay for it.

All that being said, I just sold the DL on eBay (for more than I paid for it) so I could get the K100D. The only negative compared to the DL is that it's slightly heavier. However, it has lots more features including shake reduction (which is what I really wanted).

If you can spend the extra $150/200, get the K100D. If you want to spend the least for the most, get the DL. You won't regret it at all.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:10 PM   #22

not much, besides that there must be a reason why

most people prefer Canon or Nikon DSLRs over Pentax,
Samsung, KM(which has left the camera market).
Some say Pentax is next to go. IF they insist on keeping
6mp SLRs, they sure will.

You get more if you go with the Olympus Evolt-500.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:17 PM   #23

" I figure I can make due with the 18-55mm lens its comes with and then in a few months time I can buy a 200mm zoom lens."

and if you pay $500 for the FZ30, you get a 420mm lens + extended zoom, a tilt LCD, and all SLR controls. Besides a smaller sensor, it's a better value than any entry level SLR. A fine SLR training camera.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:49 PM   #24

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
not much, besides that there must be a reason why

most people prefer Canon or Nikon DSLRs over Pentax,
Samsung, KM(which has left the camera market).
True, Canon and Nikon are much higher profile, Samsung is very new to the market, just selling rebadged Pentaxes for now, KM didn't "leave the market" their troubles started years ago and their dSLR model was so good that Sony bought the photo department of the company in order to get a foot in the market without having to re-invent the wheel (or in this case the lens mount)
Quote:
Some say Pentax is next to go. IF they insist on keeping
6mp SLRs, they sure will.
Present Pentax models are all really "entry level" models, like the 6MP Nikon D50 (and D70S) their strength is in producing high ISO, low noise images. Yes they need a higher resolution camera but some of the latest 10MP offerings have shown some loss of image quality in exchange for doing acceptable 20" X 30" prints instead of the acceptable 16" X 20" prints that the 6MP cameras produce. So far only Canon has produced an entry level model with high resolution and low noise.

You get more if you go with the Olympus Evolt-500.
Yes this is true in many ways, however if you plan on expanding your lens collection beyond the basics their are very few options for Olympus, and they are expensive (although of very high quality). With Pentax you have the option of all Pentax K-mount lenses, about 98% of third party K-mount lenses (except some designed for the Ricoh P/K mount) and with an inexpensive adapter you can use all of the 42mm screw mount lenses. No other company offers that level of backward compatability (including Nikon, early MF lenses will not work on the D50 and later models are limited to manual exposure with no metering).
Quote:
I am not trying to sell Contriver on Pentax, that is a choice he/she has to make. My only point here is that their are options beyond Canon and Nikon. All of these cameras take great pictures but other features make the experience more satisfying for the photographer. Pentax is a vaild option, but carefully consider yourphotographic plans before you make a final decision.

Two things to watch out for in choosing a camera are the pixel peepers who seem to think that what an image looks like at 100% magnification on a screen has everything to do with the quality of its prints, and the jewelry crowd who are more interested in wearing the fashionable brands then they are in photography.

My vote, for what it is worth, is not simple. If budget is tight and you need the most bang-for-the-buck, then do what I did and get the DL. If you have aspirations of being a pro photographerbut still have budget issues right now then get the Nikon D50,if you have those pro aspirations and don't mind waiting a little and spending a little more, then the next Rebel (the 400D) from Canon offers a lot for only a little more, if you enjoy cameras that break the mold and do things differently then Olympus is for you, and if you wnat a camera with a very stable company standing behind it then the Sony AlphaA100 is the latest from the late great Minolta via Sony, it also opens up a range of expensive but optically fantastic Carl Zeiss lenses. If your photographic plans are very modest, just family snapshots and some travel stuff, then just get a digicam, it is simpler and more portable.

Well, if you aren't confused now it isn't my fault.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote