Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:03 PM   #1

Hi

OK took your advice and bought the f30 great for indoor pics not real happy with the bright sunlight outdoor pics though. So, I need a sugestion for an ultra compact that is better out doors , has a screen that is actualy viewable outside and a view finder would be nice for those times the screen just washes out. what do you think ??
njdag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

Do the Screen Shades sold by Delkin help with regards to being able to view the LCD when outdoors?

Delkin Devices eFilm Point & Shoot Mini Pop-Up Shade (Stick On) for Digtial Cameras with a 2.5" LCD Display (Silver)
Delkin Pop-Up Shades are LCD screen protective covers, which double as glare guards. These sturdy, lightweight covers are easily installed (and removed), protect a digital camera's expensive LCD screen in the closed position, and pop up to provide easier viewing of the display in bright sunlight.
The Point & Shoot Mini Shade features a no residue adhesive that will not damage the camera if removed and an optical clear glass to protect your camera's screen. The simple pop-up design allows for easy opening to block the glare. The two-part design enables easy removal of the shade while keeping the optical clear glass in place for protection.
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 7:49 PM   #3

The "optically clear glass"

Yeah right!

Actually it appears to be plastic and reflects light quite badly, so generally you get a nice reflection of your face in it.

The clear plastic comes away from the frame , so I suggest you pop that out for a start.

I actually used one of those clear thin film protectors on my screen and then the Delkin on top (without the clear plastic)

I cropped the film slightly so the delkin shade fits around it attaching to the lcd directly.

The film should last well over a year with the delkins frameprotecting the edges from curling.

And while the frame attaches permanently , the foldable shade can be unclipped from it if needed.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:09 PM   #4

I don't have an F30 myself, so am very curious as to what's wrong with the outside pics...
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:21 PM   #5

Is the Delkin thingie a must have for the F30? I'm asking as my F30 is due to arrive tomorrow. I bought mine in ebay for $280 then got a 3 year warranty onlline.
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:19 PM   #6

I just got my F30 yesterday and went out today in full sun. I had no problem viewing my LCD screen whereas my Canon A95 was virtually un-viewable and I had to resort to using my optical viewfinder in similar circumstances.

You could also turn up the brightness of the F30 LCD display.

Although I didn't take many challenging daylight shots I didn't notice any obvious shortcomings. So I too as flippedgazelle was am curious what problems you had with outdoor pictures.
yawglenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:10 PM   #7

yawglenn wrote:
Quote:
I just got my F30 yesterday and went out today in full sun. I had no problem viewing my LCD screen whereas my Canon A95 was virtually un-viewable and I had to resort to using my optical viewfinder in similar circumstances.

You could also turn up the brightness of the F30 LCD display.

Although I didn't take many challenging daylight shots I didn't notice any obvious shortcomings. So I too as flippedgazelle was am curious what problems you had with outdoor pictures.

No problems in bright Sun here either
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 2:06 AM   #8

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
No problems in bright Sun here either
Your bright sun must not be the same as hisbright sun :?
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:25 AM   #9

OK OK I get it but at least read the reviews which also state a problem with out door pics , color washed, view finder a little hard to see in direct sun so I dont think I am the only one with the problem. Maybe at bit to critical but not alone.

How about the second part of the question, I have no intention of dumping the f30 but would like a better ultra for out doors.
jdsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:47 PM   #10

Don't get us wrong, if you think the outdoor pics are not as good as you think they should be, then we(I) would like some more details, since I find the F30 very interesting and have recommended it to folks who need good low-light pics.

I have read a couple of comments about the color saturation being a bit low compared with other cameras. Is that the primary issue? Are their blown highlights, or purple fringing?

Most LCD's are difficult to view in direct sunlight.

Maybe the Canon SD700 or one of the new Sony's might fit the bill as a great outdoor P&S. I certainly can't complain about my A620 in that regard.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote