Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2006, 9:48 PM   #1

Hi all, I posted in here a while back looking for advice on a new P&S camera and came away with the Fuji F10 fitting my bill. Now the camera has been fine but I'm back looking for more zoom!

My question is do I go for a Panasonic TZ1 with the 10X optical zoom (sounds ideal!) or do I go in for the kill and go DSLR?

My problem with DSLR is I go to many concerts and don't think I'll get a DSLR past the security ...

Hmmmm.

Advice most appreciated ...
Pauldw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:02 PM   #2

The TZ1 is perhaps not best suited to concerts which tend to be poorly lit and need high ISOs.

From the Dpreview

Noise - and heavy noise reduction - make ISO 200+ usable only for small prints Noise visible in shadow areas even at ISO 80

Though dcresource reported you would be able to make 4x6 prints from ISO after processing with noise reduction software.

The high sensitivity mode boosts the ISO to between 800 and 1600, and the results aren't pretty. I would probably avoid using this feature altogether

At ISO 400, details start to get washed out and muddy, The ISO 800 shot is pretty muddy, and even small prints will be mediocre.

Noise levels are a bit higher than I would've liked.. try to keep the ISO at 200 or lower if you'll be making larger-sized prints, with the option to go up to ISO 400 if you know your prints will be on the small side.

I like the widescreen movie mode though, nice !

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:51 AM   #3

Fujifilm is set to release the S6500fd in September. It will be good for 10x zoom and ISO 3200. A new function will be face detection. You can see more of the camera at www.fujifilm.com
al1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:24 AM   #4

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
The TZ1 is perhaps not best suited to concerts which tend to be poorly lit and need high ISOs.

From the Dpreview

Noise - and heavy noise reduction - make ISO 200+ usable only for small prints Noise visible in shadow areas even at ISO 80

Though dcresource reported you would be able to make 4x6 prints from ISO after processing with noise reduction software.

The high sensitivity mode boosts the ISO to between 800 and 1600, and the results aren't pretty. I would probably avoid using this feature altogether

At ISO 400, details start to get washed out and muddy, The ISO 800 shot is pretty muddy, and even small prints will be mediocre.

Noise levels are a bit higher than I would've liked.. try to keep the ISO at 200 or lower if you'll be making larger-sized prints, with the option to go up to ISO 400 if you know your prints will be on the small side.

I like the widescreen movie mode though, nice !
Quote:
Ok looks like the TZ1 is out of the question then, so I think I have to seriously consider DSLR now.
Quote:
Just need to decide what ?!?

Pauldw501 is offline   Reply With Quote