Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:16 PM   #1

Hi,
This is my first post to this forum,
forgive me if I breake some rules of the forum and my english ...

I am planning to buy a new digital camera in 2 week time...

My old cam(actually still my only cam) is Olympus C310... it is a budget cam ... without any spectacular features and also image quality...
Now I want a much more power .... I mean I want to have some manual controls (ISO, Shuttur Speed... or F) and also generally better camera to learn this science a bit...

I have looked at some forums, and read some reviews of some popular cameras to suit my needs (again as far as my knowledge)... These are Panasonic Fz7, Canon A620 and Olympus Sp350... I have looked some Nikon and also Sony cameras as well but it seems that there is no (especially for Nikon) direct compeditor for the brands/models above..... I also know the Panasonic is belongs to different class (about zoom capabilites) but I also take my hands and It feels good for(little impressed with body and compact size)...

I want to read your thoughts and opinnions about the models above and also direct me which one should I go ...my budget is up to Fz7...6mp is enough but more is not a bad thing.... I might take some fast moving objects (like f1).... indoor photos are important... I dont like to use flash ...I am not going to print all my photos in big scale ..... ...The device size is important... I dont want a device bigger than Fz7....
atoprak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 1:23 PM   #2

no idea? ... any thoughts?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:52 PM   #3

atoprak,

From reading your post, I'm not quite sure exactly what you are looking for in a camera (zoom, size, price, etc.). One feature was very clear...that you want to take indoor pictures without a flash. In order to do that, ISO capability is more important than megapixels. If you plan to take indoor pictures of moving objects, ISO is even more important. Of the 3 cameras you listed, the Canon and the Oly are only ISO 400 rated, which isn't much better than your existing camera (ISO 320). That may not be enough to meet you indoor expectations. The FZ7 has ISO 800/1600 capabilities, but at a reduced resolution. I don't know what that resolution might be, but it could be down to 1 to 2 MP's. Kind of silly to buy a 6 MP low-light cam and have to use it at a greatly reduced resolution just to capture a shot - IMO anyway. Take a look at the Fuji F30. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy one...just take a look at the features and see if they meet your approval. The biggest difference is ISO...the F30 has ISO 3200 capabilities - at full resolution. Now keep in mind, the pics taken at ISO 3200 and even 1600 will be pretty grainy, but having that capability might just save the day. ISO 800 and below look pretty good to me. Check out this comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp

Come back with your thoughts after researching the F30.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:05 PM   #4

Your post is well thought out and your English excellent.

Stabilization will help with available light indoor shots as long as nothing is moving. For subject motion you will have to turn on the flash or use a tripod with either camera. Even stabilization isn't going to give great photos in dim indoor light, but it will do OK with fairly normal light. You will mostly have to use the flash or a tripod indoors with the Canon as it has no special low light capabilities. I find the Canon a little large and heavy for its capabilities, but the photo quality is excellent. Be sure to add the cost of NiMH batteries and a charger for the A620 unless you already have them.

The recently announced Fuji 6500 might satisfy your limited light requirements but is way too large and probably too expensive.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:19 PM   #5

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
atoprak,

From reading your post, I'm not quite sure exactly what you are looking for in a camera (zoom, size, price, etc.). One feature was very clear...that you want to take indoor pictures without a flash. In order to do that, ISO capability is more important than megapixels. If you plan to take indoor pictures of moving objects, ISO is even more important. Of the 3 cameras you listed, the Canon and the Oly are only ISO 400 rated, which isn't much better than your existing camera (ISO 320). That may not be enough to meet you indoor expectations. The FZ7 has ISO 800/1600 capabilities, but at a reduced resolution. I don't know what that resolution might be, but it could be down to 1 to 2 MP's. Kind of silly to buy a 6 MP low-light cam and have to use it at a greatly reduced resolution just to capture a shot - IMO anyway. Take a look at the Fuji F30. I'm not suggesting you run out and buy one...just take a look at the features and see if they meet your approval. The biggest difference is ISO...the F30 has ISO 3200 capabilities - at full resolution. Now keep in mind, the pics taken at ISO 3200 and even 1600 will be pretty grainy, but having that capability might just save the day. ISO 800 and below look pretty good to me. Check out this comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp

Come back with your thoughts after researching the F30.

the Hun
Fuji F30 destroys everything...except dslrs ...
but It is unfortunate that I cant find this device here...
Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:54 PM   #6

Where are you located?

the Hun

Old Aug 16, 2006, 6:31 PM   #7

Just got done comparing the two via Steve's setup- Looks to me like the Panasonic FZ-7 would be the dig. cam of choice. (I have the FZ 20 (5 megs)as my lead cam and am very pleased with it). The high ISO (1600)offered by the FZ 7 would be helpful for you too and that potent 12 X optical zoom is fabulous. Also the FZ 7 has great video capabilities. I'm very pleased with the lithium ion battery that Panasonic offers too- shot 1.8 gig of pics on one shoot before the battery showed low. So the FZ 7, (in these two features alone- the 12 X zoom compared to the Canon's 4 x zoom, and the ISO of 1600 offered by the Panasonic compared to the 400 ISOmax.of the Canon) would sway me to recommend the FZ 7 to you.
fzlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:00 AM   #8

Of the ones you listed I'd go for the FZ7. But you may not want to shoot too much low light without a flash with it. But it does have a good flash.

While it will use ISO 800 and 1600 in it's "low light" mode, it's pretty much unusable. In manual you can only go to ISO 400, and it's performance there isn't any better than the Cannon. You'll really only want to use ISO 400 in a pinch.

On the plus side, however, in many situations you can make up for some of that with the IS, and/or with a fast lens. The FZ7 does 12x zoom with an f/3.3 aperture. At 4x it will be almost a stop better than the Cannon (f/4.1). So if you're zooming in, you may be able to use ISO 400 where another camera would require 800 to get then same exposure.

And for hand held still shots, the IS will allow you to often use a lower shutter speed rather than boost ISO.

I think you will be able to get good indoor shots without a flash as long as there is normal indoor lighting; you may have to use the manual white balance in order to avoid too yellow a cast. Likewise, you might get some good motion shots as long as the demands aren't too great.

What you are getting that really stands out with the FZ7 is the best IS available, and an outstanding lens. Otherwise the camera is mostly good but not great. The LCD is low resolutuion, and if you're very picky about color you might prefer the Cannon in some situations. But the FZ7 will give you a very high percentage of good useable shots

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:35 PM   #9

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/page12.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/page14.asp

C'mon...

the Hun

Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:08 PM   #10

I am in Tukey, and local distrubutor of fuji havent imported this product yet...

as for fz7, I have a big doubt about this... although I am not a foto gru, I can easliy capture the noise issue beyond the iso 200 level... ... and ingoring the high sensivity mode, because it also reduces the resolution as well ... and... right at the moment I am looking at brilliant images of Canon A620 ..... the colors looks great ... probably I cant understand the diffrence in a4 size output...
but the Name is great.. Canon... on the other hand I can get really good lens, zoom and also one of the most mercyfull(advanced IS) camera on the market.....

it really confuses me ...