Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:54 PM   #1

After a quality (within the price range ) digicam to replace an ageing Toshiba digital I have here. I'm after the larger format (ie: Fuji S5500 etc.) with 6x zoom or greater, but it needs (ideally) to have an SD slot. I have an SD card here, and can get more very cheaply. xD not the case.

MP? 4-5 I guess.

Any thoughts? I was going to pick up a refurbished S5500, but it going out of stock plus the xD issue put me off Fuji (even though I rather liked it).

[ps: would love a DSLR but WAY out of my price range... unless someone wants to buy a kidney?]
David.
Napalm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:23 PM   #2

Canon S2 IS is available online for around $300 or less if i remember correctly.

Resonable picture quality, 5mp, x12 zoom, image stabilized, excellent movie mode and fast burst mode, so so small swivel screen.

Also consider the Panasonic FZ5 or even the new FZ7.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:26 PM   #3

Hi there,

Probably helped if I said I was in the UK actually, considering you are as well

Seen those for around £200 which isn't bad, but a little more than I wanted to pay.

£150 is more what I was thinking of, which equates to around $250-300US.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:31 PM   #4

Umm, that changes things.

Pity you want SD card capable as Argos where doing the Sony H1 for £175 ..

Ok, savastore have the Canon S2 for £217.36 and free delivery.

Purelygadgets have the Pany FZ7 (black version) for about £220 and I think delivery is £5 ?

I would see if your budget can reach anextra£70 or so as both these cameras are excellent, can accept a wide range of addons, have great reach and are well regarded.

Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:35 PM   #5

Ideally I want SD, as they're cheap as anything. I can get a 1GB SD card for around £12, whereas a similar sized xD is something like £30.

If it weren't for that I'd have a Fuji

Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

Yes good prices on sd cards recently , 7dayshop have anunbranded 1gb for £10.79 and a 2gb for £17.99.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:41 PM   #7

The route I took was initially a point and shoot Fuji, then went to a Fuji z4600 (if I rememberright), then bought a Samsung thing, which is without a doubt, the worst camera I have ever owned, then invested in aFujiS602 Pro, from there a Fuji S7000, and now I own a Nikon D50.

And I have to say, the S602 ans S7000 were, and still are in my estimation, two of the most wonderful and fully functional cameras I have ever owned.

I avioded the S5200, as compaired to the S602 Pro it felt cheap and tacky to me because of its plastic body, where the S602 Pro had a sturdy metal body,and to be honest, in my opinion anyway, the S602 Pro, took far better pictures.

This might be because of it's Super CCDIII chip and sensor, or just because the optics where better, I never bother to find out.

Whilst both camera's try their best to look like DSLR's in my opinion the S602 Pro got closer to the mark than the S5000 series.

I suppose the added advantage for you is that the S602 Pro will accept SD type multimediaformat cards and compact flash.

The downside is that the S602 can have a slight lag in its shutter speed, but for a little bit more money you could get a S7000, which is a beautiful camera, and offeres many more megapixels than you require, but the image quality is just astounding.

I am not sure of your budget, as you didn't state it, but all of the above cameras can be found on ebay pretty cheap now.

Even the Nikon D50 can be found for under £400 now.

I hope this information helps you in some way in making your decsion.

Kind regards

KFA
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:02 PM   #8

Thanks KFA (no offence intended on your tornado pic thread btw ).

Budget is circa £150-200, but 200 would be the absolute max.

There is an S7000 on sale from Fuji UK (refurbished, but it's around £180, which is a little on the dear side.

Edit: I have seen a few 602Z's on eBay for a resonable price... despite them being "only" 3MP, do you think that'd be a good "take anywhere but decent pics" cam? I'm upgrading from a 2.1MP camera I think, so anything would be an improvement...

Old Aug 15, 2006, 4:59 PM   #9

I am so impressed with my S602 I still use it despite having a Nikon D50.

The only way I can describe the S602 is wonderful. It produces amazing clarity pictures for its megapixel range, and although only 3mp it interpolates the image into a decent looking 6mp image.

As a point and shoot the camera is simple,and the start up time is not too long either. Macro modeproduces nice and detailed images, and the zoom feature is optical so there is no pixel distortion, like those awful digital zoom cameras that are available.

The S602 also offers on board editing,so once you take a shot you can reframe it on the camera, zoom in a bit more, press a button andcreate anotherimage.

There is a down side though, and this is no interchangable lenses for this model, sure there is an abundance of screw on lenes available on ebay, but Iwould save you money and aviod getting them. I invested in 2 a whileback and while they do work, they only function at full zoom, and unless you spend lots ofmoney getting ones with decentoptics yourgoing to end up buying something made in a shed in Hong Kong.

Also the S602 can sometimes take its time writing and deleting images from its media cards, by this I do not mean half an hour, but it can be a good second or two.

I think I might have misunderstood you SD Card reference though, if you are refering to the larger old smart media Sd type card then the S602 is fine, but if you are refering to the newer mini sd, or what ever they have decided to call it this month, then the S602 can't use it, and you will have to invest in a smart media type II card.

I don't want to tell you what to invest in, as that has to be your choice, so I have pointed out the good and bad point of the camera for you.

I will close now by saying that a good quality S602 can be found on ebay for about £100, and a Pro version for not much more. The only difference between the S602 and its Pro brother is that the Pro offers a manual shutter connection, so if you need one, spend the extra money.

I hope all this garble helps you.

KFA

PS - No worries about the tornado pic, you saved me from public humiliation.
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:07 PM   #10

KFA - thanks for the reply, I really DO appreciate it.

Manual shutter connection doesn't really rate in my "must haves" for a camera, so I think I'll skip the Pro model

I am talking about the "Secure Digital" cards when I refer to SD. The little-ish ones that Kodak uses.. I think they're called MMC as well? As it happens my old Toshiba cam uses the Type 2 Smart Media cards... the very thin ones with the large metal contacts. I bought a 128mb one a while back to use with the Toshi. I think if I want to use my SD cards with the S602Z, I can buy a SD to CF adaptor, which is something to look into.

Looks like I'm getting an S602Z, unless someone else can come up with an alternative? Seen a nice one on eBay for around £120, give or take.