Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:44 PM   #11

For what it might be worth, as a professional Digital Camera Instructor, I actually own both the Pentax K-100D and the Nikon D-50 , as well as all of the other consumer level DSLR cameras, which I use in my workshop titled, "A Hands on Introduction to Consumer Level Digital Cameras."

In that workshop, the attendees get an opportunity to hear 5 hours of lecture time about: the Canon 350D/XT, the KM 5D, the Olympus E-300 and E-500, the Nikon D-50, and the Pentax DL, DS, and the K100D cameras. Then we do 3 hours of actual shooting with those particular consumerDSLR cameras. Every attendee, is encouraged to use every one of the DSLR cameras as much as they desire, under varying shooting conditions.

Finally, we do 2 more hours, in a roundtable type discussion,discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the various DSLR cameras that have been used during the shooting session. After all, actually shooting and handling,all of these DSLRcameras in a variety of shooting conditions, tells one, a good deal more than any hypothetical discussion of these camera, by folks who might never have touched any or all of these DSLR cameras.

Lately, the consensus of the final 2 hour discussion period has been that the Pentax K100D offers some really measurable advantages, that should not be overlooked when invesitigating these consumer level DSLR cameras. That was the opinion of 17 attendees last week, for what it is worth.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:13 PM   #12

The shutter lag on the Pentax *ist DS is nonexistant compared to the 717, especially when prefocused. I like the Hologram AF the 717 had, and I would say the 717 focuses better in low light, but I prefer manual focusing anyways... which is actually doable with the Pentax. The viewfinder is much better on the Pentax. I can see peoples expressions and tell if I have good focus easily. I miss the swiveling body of the 717 somewhat though. The differences in DOF control, I like having lots of DOF on the 717 at f/2 sometimes... but being able to blur the background is great for portraits(and other things) with the Pentax. Image quality wise the 717 is really good but I like the Pentax a bit more all around.

I shoot a lot of random still life stuff, you can check out my flickr page if you want an idea of what I shoot, http://www.flickr.com/photos/selrahcharles for my purposes the DSLR is a lot better. I've been playing around more and more with low light shots, and thats where the DSLRs low noise helps a lot. For what its worth I have been shooting a LOT more people shots with the Pentax. With the 717 it was mostly random still life, not I'm a lot happier with both people and low light... if you ask me more specific questions I will answer in a less confusing manner(or if I answer when I'm not half asleep).

So advantage of Pentax(for me the *ist DS/DL) are:
1. Viewfinder, much better than the LCD on the 717
2. Responsivness, I mostly use manual focus lenses so I cannot comment on AF, but if I have them both prefocused the 717 will have a little pause from pressing the button to taking the picture, the Pentax does not.
3. Image quality, the Sony looks great on low ISO and with no processing. If you want more versatility though the Pentax takes a bit more work to get good photos, but they are better when you do. DOf control and low noise at high ISO are important to me, thats for you to decide.
4. Size is a tossup, both are pretty similar(depending on the lens used on the Pentax), I prefer the black body of the Pentax to the silver.
5. From what I hear, the K100D is only an improvement from the *ist series.

Quote:
Quote:
Ah haa! I found someone who used to have a Sony to pick her brain to compare with the K100D. In addition tothe typical differences between a digicam and adSLR, I'd like to hear your take of what one can expect between these two cameras, each excellent for their type.

I presenltly have a Sony F707, which I assumehas quite similar characteristics to the F717. Tell me what are the major difference in performance younoticed between those two cameras. What do you shoot, andhow do they compare for the type of work you have done?
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:16 AM   #13

I loved my Sony and probably would still be happily shooting with it if the EVF/LCD not developed significant yellowing - it's OK for framing and not much else. I thought the 717 handled color better than the 707, but never actually used one.

I first bought a DS in January (after selling a Panny FZ30 that I only had for a month before I gave up - the sensor and the pictures were not as good as the Sony). At its worst it is as good as the Sony (well, assuming I haven't done something stupid like forgetting to meter and set the shutter speed when using a manual lens). The camera is ready to shoot almost immediately compared to the Sony. The focusing on the K100D seems faster to me than the DS, and as fast as the Sony. The Sony never hunted for focus, which you can get with a macro lens I have, or if there's not enough contrast in the scene (I loved the hologram AF system on the Sony, even though it wasn't good at long distances. That was never a problem because if it couldn't focus, I'd just set it to infinity and it usually worked). As was pointed out,the K100Dis much easier to focus manually if the camera is fooled.

I love using 25 year old lenses with the K100D, and taking pictures with thin DOF. It is much easier to control DOF with the K100D. I've also found the anti-shake makes a noticeable difference with a longer lens, or with a 100mm macro lens I have. I'm very happy I changed my mind and bought the K100D - I'm getting along with it even better than with the DS (which I really liked, by the way).

Remember that your lenses will make a difference with the quality of your pictures. But even with an old Kiron lens (that wasn't working right - only would shoot wide open) that was quite soft, the pictures were very pleasant. Just my opinion, but I thought the improvement in my pictures was notable, and the extra versatility outstanding. I'm a very happy Pentax owner.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:21 AM   #14

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Lately, the consensus of the final 2 hour discussion period has been that the Pentax K100D offers some really measurable advantages
They weren't brainwashed, were they? j/k

That's good info for sure. I like the K100Dfor it's features. I'm mostly just concerned about the handling. And it doesn't seem like the Nikon has any features the K100D doesn't (unless someone knows otherwise?).

vIZnquest: I don't buy in to the K100D having better noise handling than the D50. From what I've seen, the D50 has better noise control...Although, the K100D does have a 3200 setting.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:38 AM   #15

sw-

During the shooting session it becomes pretty apparent to everyone that the KM 5D with anti shake,and the Pentax K100D with shake reduction. have a feature that sets them apart from the other consumer level DSLR cameras. That is the ability to hand hold excellent low light level photos down to substantially lower shutter speeds.

Most folks don't make a lot of use of the ISO 3200 setting on the K100D but other than that the K100D and the D-50 compare quite favorably.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 1:04 PM   #16

SWGOG,

I am going through exactly the same phase: D50 or K100D. I haven't made the purchase yet but I have almost decided to go for D50. And here is the reason... When you buy a dSLR, you are basically marrying into the company and very costly divorce in future (if it has to come to that stage). So be careful what you are getting into.

Having said that, now consider this (and I am picking this point up from one of the forums). D50 is the entry level model for Nikon and K100D is the top-end model of Pentax. Even if it is true that K100D is offering better value for money (which actually it is), why would you get a camera which at this point of time is the best the company can offer. What would you do couple of years later if you want to upgrade (or even leap one level). With Nikon you can make atleast 3 more jumps (N80, N200, DX-whatever). With Pentax its Zero.

On top of it, do realize that there are many companies in digicam business who are going through tough times. Sales growth has slowed from 70%+ to 10% this year, with forecast of negative growth by2010. This can mean more companies folding up or bought by electronics giants (Sony-KM scene). With Pentax getiing very cosy with Samsumg, dont be surprised if all we see are Samsumg branded pentax camera. Would you like to caught on street with a Samsung hanging by your neck. i know I won't :?
ALIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:04 PM   #17

ALIP wrote:
Quote:
Having said that, now consider this
ALIP, those are respectable considerations to have in the decision process. I personally don't think Pentax is going anywhere. They've been in the camera business for a LONG time, and their new dSLR is an obvious winner. There is already a new camera being released (one jump up from the K100D). While I would consider the K100D "the best Pentax is offering" (at this time), I don't look at it as "the best they can offer". And if you are looking at it from that perspective, then the best Pentax CAN offer (at least in the low end game), is quite comparable (if not better in many ways) to it's competition (as you already stated yourself).

I realize if I go with the K100D, I will be marrying a "low end girl", but I don't think I'll ever "need"to upgrade. Over time, entry level camera's will get better and better, just as the high end ones will. And I don't plan on getting into the high end game (those women are too materialistic) :G

Thank you for your input.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:59 PM   #18

swgod,

for my 2 cents. all these entry level DSLR's have more than enough features to keep anyone happy. you will be able to get good results from any of these cameras. i think the most important item is how the camera feels in YOUR hands. over the long run a camera that is comfortable to hold and use will be used more, and you will be happier shooting with it.
Dadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:02 AM   #19

ALIP wrote:
Quote:
With Pentax getiing very cosy with Samsumg, dont be surprised if all we see are Samsumg branded pentax camera. Would you like to caught on street with a Samsung hanging by your neck. i know I won't :?
ALIP, if it is jewelry you want let me suggest a Leica M6.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:59 AM   #20

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
ALIP wrote:
Quote:
With Pentax getiing very cosy with Samsumg, dont be surprised if all we see are Samsumg branded pentax camera. Would you like to caught on street with a Samsung hanging by your neck. i know I won't :?
ALIP, if it is jewelry you want let me suggest a Leica M6.
If Samsung were to make a good camera, I personally could care less what others would think. I think vanity is the least important featureon camera. I find it hard to believe that anyone would worry about that. OK, maybe a professional would be concerned with his image (no pun intended).

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote