Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:05 PM   #1

Ok, so I've been considering these two camera's for the past couple weeks. What I'd like to know is what features one has over the other. I know the K100D has the SR, that is the obvious one...

(please correct me if I'm wrong)

K100D: DOF Preview, Mirror Lockup, Spotmeter

D50: ??

Keep in mind, I want to list the features the K100D has that the D50 doesn't have, and viceversa. I really am torn between these two, so unless I see a feature I think will be particularly useful to me, I may just flip a coin! :lol:

I'm also not particularly sure what "spotmetering" means at this point because I read the Canon 20D didn't have it, but the K100D does, so I'm a bit confused as to what this "feature" is...?

I'm mostly just concerned about features between the two. Not performance or handling etc. I've done that research up the ying yang.

Thanks.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:31 PM   #2

Spot meters measure the light from a very small area, this can be useful in very difficult lighting situations to get the correct exposure on your subject.

The biggest features, IMO, of the K100D are the SR (shake reduction) and the backward lens compatibility.

The biggest features of the D50 are the ability to move up to a pro model body if you want to and the better continuous shoot performance. VR (vibration reduction) lenses are available that some say are more effective than the Pentax SR system, but they are expensive lenses while the Pentax system works with all lenses.

BTW some will say the D50 is backward compatible as well but this is not really true because some early lenses will not work at all and some will work but will not allow the use of the camera's meter (guess or carry a handheld meter).

I like the D50 but I think the Pentax represents a leap forward in this price bracket. Konica Minolta started this ball rolling but when Sony took over the result was a camera one step up market from entry level while the K100D is almost as cheap as a D50.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 2:31 PM   #3

I find CCD Anti-Shakefeature should be the strongest feature if you would like to go with pentax. I own Nikon D50 and I am pretty happy about it. Nikon D50 strength is its ISO performance is superior to any other camera in the market.

Following are the major differences i have found.

1. CCD Anti-Shake (pentax has it & Nikon does not)
2. LCD size(pentax 2.5" & Nikon 2")
3. Remote control(pentax has wired remmote ? & Nikon does not, but may not cost much)
4. ISO rating(pentax 3200 & Nikon 1600)
5. Battary and Charger

(pentax uses AA cells which are cheap and not provided by Pentax. so you may need to buy the cells and the charger. Nikon LI-ION batties which you will get it with the camera. Down side of the AA is the battary charge will not last more than 2-3 days. which you may need to re-charge then even though if you have to shoot one picture out of it. So it is bit pain full when you shoot a picture or two every 2 days.)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...d&show=all

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e&n=502394
vsrinu30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:19 PM   #4

Thanks guys...I'll peruse the comparisonlink you provided...

Hmmm...looks like the K100D has 8 more pixels in the vertical plane!! That's good to know :lol:

Are these specs correct? The K100D doesn't have a front-rear curtain option for flash? It also doesn't have a popup flash :? I could have sworn it pop'd up on me in the store the other day.

So, does the D50 have DOF preview or mirror lockup? Hmm, Pentax's site doesn't even mention these as far as I can find...It's so difficult to determine the little things...

I think my biggest problem with the K100D at this point is the D50 feels better in hand. The D50 is lighter and slightly bigger...just enough to feel good. The K100D is smaller (which I like!)and heavier (which I don't - partially due to the batteries). I like the D50's high ISO performance (I don't feel like I need ISO3200). But, I really like having SR (having had it on the S2 IS) and the DOF preview sounds like a fun learning tool.

I am seriously considering just buying both :Gj/k
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:18 PM   #5

The K100D's flash will pop up automatically for certain settings, but on others (the ones I use most often) you have to push the button to get the flash to pop up. I don't look at that as a disadvantage - one of the first things I did with the Sony F717 I used to have was to turn off the automatic flash (prefer natural light unless I specifically choose otherwise).

Just my opinion, but both cameras will give you excellent photos. Unless there is something you specifically want, like the Shake Reduction, then get which one feels better in your hands. The K100D is a bit bigger than the *ist DS/DL cameras (though I didn't notice the difference after carrying the K100D for about 10 minutes), and heavier (something I do notice when my camera bag is on my shoulder).

You've said you prefer the feel of the D50 - that sounds like an excellent reason to buy it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 5:37 PM   #6

Knowing me, I'll wait so long to make a decision that new camera models will be released as replacements. That's how I ended up with the F30 instead of the F10 :lol:
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:36 PM   #7

The Pentax has a DOF preview, it is accessed on the power lever, just rotate it beyond the on position (marked with a diagram of aperture blades).

The Pentax has mirror lockup as part of the 2 second timer, whenit is activated the mirror flips up and two seconds later (after the vibration of the moving mirror should be stopped) the shutter fires.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:37 PM   #8

I use the rechargeable AA's and mine last longer than vsrinu30 believes. I have picked up my Pentax DL after setting for better than a week and have plenty of power. I believe rechargeable AA's are the best batteries in the camera business, you can buy them everywhere in a pinch.
rritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 6:46 PM   #9

Both are very good cameras. The nod goes to the Pentax since the iso goes higher than the Nikon D50 and has better noise control of any camera line out there.

One neat feature is the use of a remote control to take self portraits or long exposure type shots. It has been reported that a TV remote works with some patience in finding the code that make it work.

Being able to use any and all Pentax lenses is also a reason to get the K100D.

The kit lenses are the best of any line of cameras too.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:09 PM   #10

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
...one of the first things I did with the Sony F717 I used to have was to turn off the automatic flash (prefer natural light unless I specifically choose otherwise).
Ah haa! I found someone who used to have a Sony to pick her brain to compare with the K100D. In addition tothe typical differences between a digicam and adSLR, I'd like to hear your take of what one can expect between these two cameras, each excellent for their type.

I presenltly have a Sony F707, which I assumehas quite similar characteristics to the F717. Tell me what are the major difference in performance younoticed between those two cameras. What do you shoot, andhow do they compare for the type of work you have done?
gfmucci is offline   Reply With Quote