Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:14 AM   #11

I like to check prices/shop online here:

http://stores.tomshardware.com/home_photo.php/

But I'm also surprised that that Sony is having color problems; judging from the reviews it should be doing better than the old Nikon Coolpix. There are some cameras that do better on color than others, but that one generally seems to have done well on color tests. Maybe a lemon.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:48 PM   #12

Quote:
I am stuck with a camera that has very poor color.
Umm, the tens of thousands of happy people using the H1 for anything from nature photography, insect macros, landscapes, portraits and sports do not agree with you.

If your camera has poor color then its broken, or you are using it wrong.

The H1 is widely regarded as one of the greatest cameras Sony has ever made.

Read the H1 whitepaper ( http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/ ) , view some pictures taken by the H1 in the Sony forums either here or at the Sony Talk Forum over at Dpreview.com and post some of the pictures you claim to have problems with.

Assuming the camera is broken then exchange it or have it repaired.

If its not broken, then running to buy a dslr which is way more complex will not solve your problems...

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 2:16 PM   #13

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Okay well I guess I was fooled at the showroom where I got my camera and now I am stuck with a camera that has very poor color.

I would return it accept its past the 30 days to return it. I have had such little time to test it. Anyway I guess Im going to sell it and get something that is hopefully more accurate in color.

The camera is a Sony DCS-H1.

I was thinking of upgrading to a digital slr. I think I saw a Nikon D50 for $500. If I sell my camera for Close to the $300 I paid I might be able to get the other $200 or so.

I want the nikon because my old 4 year nikon coolpix 2500 has awesome color, I get exactly what I see with my eye as long as I measure the white balance.

Does the Nikon D50 have macro capability? This is the most important function that it should have. I need it to take close up shots of aquarium corals, mushrooms, insects. I also want to take pics of birds, so I will have to wait to get a zoom lens.

Anyway is the Nikon D50 going to fulfill my needs?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I tried adjusting the Sonys White balance, saturtion, contrast with no success.
It might help if you posted a few samples of your pictures so we could see what you consider poor color or what might be the cause of it.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 4:39 PM   #14

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
I like to check prices/shop online here:

http://stores.tomshardware.com/home_photo.php/

But I'm also surprised that that Sony is having color problems; judging from the reviews it should be doing better than the old Nikon Coolpix. There are some cameras that do better on color than others, but that one generally seems to have done well on color tests. Maybe a lemon.

Everyone that I know of. I am using manual mode.

I will post the difference soon.
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:17 PM   #15

Okay first let me just say that I used the mesure white balance on both cameras under the same lighting which is a 14000 kelvin color metal halide bulb.

The nikon is the closest to what my eye sees and what my girlfriend and aquarium keeping buddys see.

http://server6.theimagehosting.com/i...?img=Nikon.jpg

The sony auto setting is a little closer then whatever combination of white balance/iso/fstop I try but it is not spot on. Not really even close if you ask me.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/S...setting.th.jpg

This is my settings as you can see its pretty poor.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/Sonymysetting.th.jpg

I used a little 3x5 white card under the same lighting to calibrate the white balance on both cameras.

This is really frustrating because I had the same problem with a Canon A610 and the sales guy tried to convince me that it was the cameras LCD that was fooling me and took a pic of the film containers on the shelf which looked fine, but for some reason under my aquarium lighting they both fail.

Now its very important that they be right on because as mentioned before the color needs to be pretty exact because I am going to trade/sale captive propigaed fragments of these corals in the future so potential buyers/traders need to see exactly what they are getting.

I dont think the camera is defective because its similar to the cannon in the fact that both had this problem. I know it will be impossible to convince the sales guy at adray camera (my local camera shop) to allow me to make a third trade-up although you think hed be happy if I was upgrading to a DSLR, means more money for him.

Again thanks for all your guys help!
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:46 PM   #16

You are shooting under tough conditions. I think many cameras, even DSLR's will struggle getting the color right in aquarium shooting with bright metal halide lights. Do you do any post work?? Editing software will allow you to fine tune the image to make it closer to what you see.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:07 PM   #17

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
You are shooting under tough conditions. I think many cameras, even DSLR's will struggle getting the color right in aquarium shooting with bright metal halide lights. Do you do any post work?? Editing software will allow you to fine tune the image to make it closer to what you see.

Yes but why does the Cheapy little 2mp Nikon do so well?!?!

I can do post work, but its a big difference so it will get kind of annoying having to edit every image like that.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 6:28 PM   #18
Administrator

I can't see the EXIF in your images (it's been stripped out by the software used to edit/downsize it, or the site you're posting it on).

But, I'd make sure it's not user error before jumping to any conclusions (i.e., you think the camera is using your custom white balance and it's not).

A suggestion...

Download something like Irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com and use the Image, Resize/Resample menu choice, downsizing it to around 640 pixels wide. Save it using "File, Save As" (leaving the boxes that are already checked alone, since you'll want to retain the EXIF)and post it to the forums so that users can take a look at the camera settings used (you'll see a "Browse" box when you make a post that allows you to attach an image).

Your last image appears to be underexposed, too. But, that wouldn't account for the White Balance problem (the section in the upper right corner appears to be *way* off, just as if you used a flash with a White Balance set to Incandescent.

You weren't using a flash, were you? If so, that's your problem. A custom white balance is designed for the lighting you're shooting in, and a camera's flash is going be be closer to daylight (somewhere around 5600k).

Some cameras may automaticaly override a custom WB when using a flash, and some may honor it.

P.S. -- A photographic gray card can work better with some cameras for setting WB, too. With some models, you really don't get a good reading from a white card since it can be too reflective. Some cameras are finnicky about needing to set them to spot metering for taking WB readings, too -- making sure the entire frame is filled with the white or gray card you're using as a reference.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:06 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I can't see the EXIF in your images (it's been stripped out by the software used to edit/downsize it, or the site you're posting it on).

But, I'd make sure it's not user error before jumping to any conclusions (i.e., you think the camera is using your custom white balance and it's not).

A suggestion...

Download something like Irfanview from http://www.irfanview.com and use the Image, Resize/Resample menu choice, downsizing it to around 640 pixels wide. Save it using "File, Save As" (leaving the boxes that are already checked alone, since you'll want to retain the EXIF)and post it to the forums so that users can take a look at the camera settings used (you'll see a "Browse" box when you make a post that allows you to attach an image).

Your last image appears to be underexposed, too. But, that wouldn't account for the White Balance problem (the section in the upper right corner appears to be *way* off, just as if you used a flash with a White Balance set to Incandescent.

You weren't using a flash, were you? If so, that's your problem. A custom white balance is designed for the lighting you're shooting in, and a camera's flash is going be be closer to daylight (somewhere around 5600k).

Some cameras may automaticaly override a custom WB when using a flash, and some may honor it.

P.S. -- A photographic gray card can work better with some cameras for setting WB, too. With some models, you really don't get a good reading from a white card since it can be too reflective. Some cameras are finnicky about needing to set them to spot metering for taking WB readings, too -- making sure the entire frame is filled with the white or gray card you're using as a reference.

Hi and really thanks for helping me!

No flash was used.

Apparantly the Exif is automatically turned off. I will try to turn it back on and get you another sample. Yeah because I used photoshop only to downsize the samples to make them easily downloadable to 400pixels wide.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:24 PM   #20

Cant seem to find where to turn the exif on, is this even possible with this camera?