Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:27 PM   #21
Administrator

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
No flash was used.

Apparantly the Exif is automatically turned off. I will try to turn it back on and get you another sample. Yeah because I used photoshop only to downsize the samples to make them easily downloadable to 400pixels wide.
If you use the "Save for Web" feature in Photoshop, it will strip the EXIF. Use Save As instead. But, even if it's not stripped by PS, the site you're posting the images to may strip it out (a common problem with many image hosting sites, since they do everything possible to reduce image size, saving them space and bandwidth cost).

If you're not using a flash, then that's not the problem with your WB. That was my first thought (some users assume that a custom WB will be accurate when using a flash, when the temperature of the light from a flash may be very different than the temperture of the lighting they used for setting the WB).

So, I don't know why you'd have that much difference in color accuracy, unless the camera is not using your custom WB settings for some reason (my suspicion from comparing the samples), or you are doing something wrong using this feature.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:32 PM   #22
Administrator

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
Cant seem to find where to turn the exif on, is this even possible with this camera?
The images from the camera include the EXIF showing camera settings used. Something you're doing (like using Save for Web in Photoshop) is stripping it out. See my previous post.

Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:53 PM   #23

Well I do not see the exif in the raw file either. Could it be the way I am transferring them to my comp? I put the media in my printer it has a built-in reader. I then go to my computer and select the drive which is F on my machine. I then drag and drop to my desktop.
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:05 PM   #24

What raw file are you referring to?? The H1 does not have RAW capability, does it???
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:44 PM   #25

I mean the jpegs sorry.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:49 PM   #26
Administrator

The EXIF should be there.

One tool for viewing it is Irfanview (mentioned in my previous post as a good choice for downsizing the images without stripping it out).

You can see the EXIF using Image, Information, EXIF with it.

Another way to see EXIF is to "right click" on a file in Windows Explorer, and select Property, Summary, Advanced. But, it doesn't show you WB settings.

Yet another way to view EXIF is using IExif from Opanda. When you right click on an image in Windows Explorer, you'll see a new choice for viewing EXIF after you install it. It also works with Internet Explorer.

After loading it, you can also install a plugin for Firefox so that you can see EXIF in images using Firefox without downloading them. I use it often for looking a camera settings from posted images to check for any obvious problems.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:58 PM   #27

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The EXIF should be there.

One tool for viewing it is Irfanview (mentioned in my previous post as a good choice for downsizing the images without stripping it out).

You can see the EXIF using Image, Information, EXIF with it.

Another way to see EXIF is to "right click" on a file in Windows Explorer, and select Property, Summary, Advanced. But, it doesn't show you WB settings.

Yet another way to view EXIF is using IExif from Opanda. When you right click on an image in Windows Explorer, you'll see a new choice for viewing EXIF after you install it. It also works with Internet Explorer.

After loading it, you can also install a plugin for Firefox so that you can see EXIF in images using Firefox without downloading them. I use it often for looking a camera settings from posted images to check for any obvious problems.

http://www.opanda.com/en/iexif/index.html

Ah! Thanks very much! I used the Windows explorer technique. Here is the information for the three different photos:

Nikon

Focal length: 12mm

F-Number F/4.1

Exposure time 1/37 sec.

ISO Speed: ISO-100

Metering Mode: Pattern

Light Source: Unkown

Exposure compensation: -0.3 step

Sony Auto Setting

Focal length: 14mm

F-Number F/7.1

Exposure time 1/15 sec.

ISO Speed: ISO-64

Metering Mode: Spot

Light Source: Blank

Exposure compensation:0 step

Sony Manual Settings

Focal length: 20mm

F-Number F/5

Exposure time 1/50 sec.

ISO Speed: ISO-64

Metering Mode: Spot

Light Source: Blank

Exposure compensation:0 step
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:06 PM   #28
Administrator

As I mentioned, Windows Explorer doesn't give you White Balance info. ;-)

So, you can't tell whether or not the camera was using your custom WB.

With the other products I mentioned like Opanda, you can see this info.

Note the White Balance field on this screen print from an H1's EXIF.

Attached Images

Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:10 PM   #29
Administrator

P.S.

The EXIF you posted does tell me why the last photo was underexposed though (you were using manual exposure and your settings caused it to be too dark).

I also see that you're using spot metering (which is OK, as long as you're careful what you meter from). I can't see what the camera's settings for WB were though (and I've got a suspicion that it's not using your custom setting).

I'd make sure to read the user guide carefully to make sure it's using it. But, let's check the EXIF to find out. You can either post an image that includes it so we can check it, or check it using a better tool compared to Windows Explorer.

Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:47 AM   #30

Ah okay I see! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well your not going to believe this, but there isnt even a white balance category being displayed for the sony mysettings photo. However the nikon and the sony auto have white balance read outs.

So what does that tell you?

I thought I read the manual carefully, but apparantly I will have to reread it and make sure Im doing the white balance measurement correctly.

Again thanks for your help!