Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:08 AM   #31
Administrator

It should show it somewhere in the EXIF.

If you don't see it, post an image without the EXIF stripped out, and I'll take a look (I've got a variety of tools that can read it, and some are better than others).

But, my suspicion is that it's not using your Custom WB settings. Some cameras are a bit tricky using these kinds of features. So, you may have overlooked something in the manual, and/or you're not setting it in a way that works well (surface too reflective on white card, not close enough to the light source, not filling the frame all the way with the card, etc.).

When I use something white in a pinch, I typically use a few white coffee filters stacked together to set it, since some cameras are "finnicky" if the surface of your target is too reflective (but, a photographic gray card is usually best).

There are some other tricks for setting a custom WB, too. One way is to use the translucent gray lid from a pringles potato chip can, pointing the camera at the light source (through the lid held in front of the lens), and setting it that way.

P.S.

Or, if you want to use something with the same principle and pay a *lot* more (and not have a can of potato chips as a bonus), check out the Expodisc product line.

http://www.expoimaging.net/products/

They've got instructions for using one (and this would also apply to using a lid from a Pringles Can held in front of the lens) here for a Sony DSC-F828. But, I don't know how similar setting it in your H1 would be. Make sure to note the symptoms if it was *not* set, too (apparently it flashes an indicator at you letting you know your attempt to set it failed).

So, if you ignored the flashing WB indicator, you may have thought you set it when you didn't, because the camera couldn't get a good enough reading from your target. ;-)

http://www.expoimaging.net/support/m...nyCustomWB.pdf

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:14 PM   #32

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It should show it somewhere in the EXIF.

If you don't see it, post an image without the EXIF stripped out, and I'll take a look (I've got a variety of tools that can read it, and some are better than others).

But, my suspicion is that it's not using your Custom WB settings. Some cameras are a bit tricky using these kinds of features. So, you may have overlooked something in the manual, and/or you're not setting it in a way that works well (surface too reflective on white card, not close enough to the light source, not filling the frame all the way with the card, etc.).

When I use something white in a pinch, I typically use a few white coffee filters stacked together to set it, since some cameras are "finnicky" if the surface of your target is too reflective (but, a photographic gray card is usually best).

There are some other tricks for setting a custom WB, too. One way is to use the translucent gray lid from a pringles potato chip can, pointing the camera at the light source (through the lid held in front of the lens), and setting it that way.

P.S.

Or, if you want to use something with the same principle and pay a *lot* more (and not have a can of potato chips as a bonus), check out the Expodisc product line.

http://www.expoimaging.net/products/

They've got instructions for using one (and this would also apply to using a lid from a Pringles Can held in front of the lens) here for a Sony DSC-F828. But, I don't know how similar setting it in your H1 would be. Make sure to note the symptoms if it was *not* set, too (apparently it flashes an indicator at you letting you know your attempt to set it failed).

So, if you ignored the flashing WB indicator, you may have thought you set it when you didn't, because the camera couldn't get a good enough reading from your target. ;-)

http://www.expoimaging.net/support/m...nyCustomWB.pdf

Well I swear to you that there is no white balance read out in the sony my setting exif. The reason you will know is because I was able to find it for you on the Nikon pics exif read out and the sony auto setting pic exif.

However I think I know why thanks to your expert know how! You mentioned that perhaps the white balance was not actually calibrated when taking the pic and that there may be a flashing white balance icon. I went to try and use the coffee filters method and the ole white paper I had before and guess what the flashing white balance icon appeared. Also this thing is not complicated to set the white balance, you just got to the menu and move your cursor to the top of the white balance list, the camera flickers a bit and then it should be set. However apparantly it does not like the aquariums reflective surface. Mind you the surface it perfectly still as I have the circulation pumps off when snapping.

Also why is the cheap ole Nikon coolpix 2500 able to take a white balance? I dont get it.

I will have to go get some pringles.

Oh and maybe its the way in which I am doing the white balance procedure. I take the camera and hover it about 8-10" above the paper or filters (just how many is a few, I used 6 btw) and have the paper barely above the surface of the aquarium. I then do the white balance measure feature. Hopefully I was doing it right.

You have been such a big help, thank-you! I wish I could reward you with a beer or something!
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote