Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:38 PM   #1

Hello,

Okay well I guess I was fooled at the showroom where I got my camera and now I am stuck with a camera that has very poor color.

I would return it accept its past the 30 days to return it. I have had such little time to test it. Anyway I guess Im going to sell it and get something that is hopefully more accurate in color.

The camera is a Sony DCS-H1.

I was thinking of upgrading to a digital slr. I think I saw a Nikon D50 for $500. If I sell my camera for Close to the $300 I paid I might be able to get the other $200 or so.

I want the nikon because my old 4 year nikon coolpix 2500 has awesome color, I get exactly what I see with my eye as long as I measure the white balance.

Does the Nikon D50 have macro capability? This is the most important function that it should have. I need it to take close up shots of aquarium corals, mushrooms, insects. I also want to take pics of birds, so I will have to wait to get a zoom lens.

Anyway is the Nikon D50 going to fulfill my needs?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I tried adjusting the Sonys White balance, saturtion, contrast with no success.
chupicabra30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 8:04 PM   #2

Most DSLR's have macro capability...if you use a macro lens. I don't own a D50 but have heard & read a lot of good about it. In my film days I was a Nikon man.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:00 PM   #3

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
I want the nikon because my old 4 year nikon coolpix 2500 has awesome color, I get exactly what I see with my eye as long as I measure the white balance.
Any Digital SLR will give excellent results.

Does the Nikon D50 have macro capability? This is the most important function that it should have. I need it to take close up shots of aquarium corals, mushrooms, insects. I also want to take pics of birds, so I will have to wait to get a zoom lens.
DSLRs have no macro capability, that is entirely dependent on the lens used, again there are excellent macro lenses available for all DSLRs

Anyway is the Nikon D50 going to fulfill my needs?
The Nikon D50 is an excellent camera but your post indicates that you may not be completely aware of the differences between digicams and DSLRs. Do lots of research into what you will need before you spend any more money.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

I tried adjusting the Sonys White balance, saturtion, contrast with no success.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:11 PM   #4

Well without getting outrageously expensive, since this will not be for professional use per say what will I need? What is a good Macro lens?

Thank-you.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5

Tamron makes an excellent 90mm macro that is available in Nikon, Canon, Pentax and other mounts, reasonably priced but not cheap. Sigma makes a 50mm macro and a 90 or 100mm as well. Any of these are quite capable.

On a budget there is a Cosina made macro sold as a Phoenix 100mm. It is surprizingly good optically but not terribly sturdy. Owners are very satisfied with the lens but admit it "feels" flimsy.

If you do not need extreme macro ability, there are a number of zooms with decent macro ability (usually labelled macro). Here is a sample from a normal zoom lens, not a macro at all:

The manufacturers own macro lenses are usually more expensive, but very good.

Ira

BTW maybe you should read this http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/ before you get rid of your H1 Sony.
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:11 AM   #6

I could be wrong, but judging from your posts, a DSLR would be a waste of money for you. They are best used as either professional cameras or cameras for those who are very into the hobby. I would probably look into the high-end prosumer cameras such as the Kodak P712.

chupicabra30 wrote:
Quote:
Well without getting outrageously expensive, since this will not be for professional use per say what will I need? What is a good Macro lens?

Thank-you.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:38 AM   #7

That does seem to have everything I need. I will have to go check it out.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 5:38 AM   #8

What is the best place to buy cameras and lenses in your opinion online?

Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:05 AM   #9

For price and selection, Adorama and B&h are two great online vendors. KEH offers a more limited range of mostly used cameras/lenses at fair prices and accurately described. Ebay can be good if your careful.

For convenience there are local options..your big box retailers. BBY, and Circuit city, and some of the camera store chains, like Ritz ,Cord etc. The downside is the lack of selection and higher price.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:32 AM   #10

Chupicabra30, did you ensure that you have all "picture effects" turned off? As a diehard Sony P&Sand Canon dSLRshooter, I am very surprised that the colors on your H1 arepoor ... perhaps a waranty problem?
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote