Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:10 PM   #1

I have narrowed my selection down to these two cameras. I have read many reviews and checked prices for both. They are both neck and neck so far in my opinion. I was hoping to get some opinions from the guys here. Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.

Crimcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:33 PM   #2

Crimcheck wrote:
Quote:
I have narrowed my selection down to these two cameras. I have read many reviews and checked prices for both. They are both neck and neck so far in my opinion. I was hoping to get some opinions from the guys here. Any insight you can offer would be appreciated.
Well I guess I won't mention what camera I use since it isn't on your list.

Canon - more lens and flash options, better high ISO performance, faster startup (no dust removal to wait for, excellent image quality.

Olympus - larger LCD, sensor dust removal on startup, much better "feel" (subjective I know), excellent image quality (all entry level dSLRs offer excellent image quality, the worst is merely fantastic)

Both cameras offer upgrade paths in future, there are more Canon lenses but the quality of the Olympus lenses are beyond reproach. Both offer budget lenses and very expensive pro glass. The Canon does have the option of IS (image stabilized) lenses (Olympus may inherit this technology from their Panasonic partner but it is not currently available. Nikon calls their lenses VR while Pentax and Konica/Minolta/Sony now has it built into camera bodies so all lenses offer resistance to camera shake). This may be a concern if your interests lie in long telephoto lenses or low light shooting.

Subjectively I like the Olympus, but objectively Canon does offer a more complete system.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 1:41 PM   #3

crimcheck-

You might also want to take a look at the thread in this folder titled, "DSLR-HELP."

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:44 AM   #4

IMHO, the Olympus EVOLT E-500 is much better than the Canon EOS-350D in every single ways other than the image sensor alone. This is obviously my humble opinion but I have researched the EVOLT E-500 and EOS-350D intensively before (Not long ago). In fact, the solid state/full frame transferCCD of the EVOLT E-500 isn't bad at all! It can be comparable to the CMOS on the EOS-350D.

Take a look at this link and scroll down to the noise graph>>> http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...500IMATEST.HTM

It has been raving around that the problem with the E-500's solid state CCD is the noise levels; but if you take a look at the noise graph, you can clearly see that the noise levels are directly comparable to the EOS-350Ds'. >>>

So what's the problem??? No problems and that makes the EVOLT E-500 dSLR even more superior considering that it is already superior in ALL the others ways.

The technology in the solid state 4/3 CCDof the Olympus E-500 is different from conventional CCDs, sinceit's dimension is physically smaller than other conventional CCDs on other dSLRs, it has to be higher in quality to compete with the competitions. The 4/3 CCD is denserand pose a new design thatutilizes more surface area for light gathering (Photons). In a conventional CCD, the entire surface is mostly made up of electronics that takes up space, so there are fewer spaces left forthe sensitive light gathering surface. The new 4/3 CCD eliminates this problem with a new design concept that can get those electronics out of the way; thus resulting in more light sensitive areas.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0509/05...lympuse500.asp

I remember reading somewhere that the entire CCD compartment of the EVOLT E-500 is sealed up with a glass sheet that prevents dust from touching the CCD. The Supersonic Wave Filter will vibrate 35,000 times a second to shake those dust off the glasssheet to give the CCD a clear view everytime you switch on the camera.

The Olympus EVOLT E-500 is a pretty interesting dSLR compared to others. I think it has the BEST feature set among entry level dSLRs and high end prosumers (Features you would normally find on higher end dSLRs). It has the best LCD display.

I forgot to mention that the design and build of the EVOLT E-500 is levels ahead of the EOS 350D. Many reviewers and users mentioned about the great feel it has.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 6:11 AM   #5

Both cameras will produce a decent image (a friend of mine at work has the original Digital Rebelthat has produced great shots, which I have only seen as 4x6 or on a computer screen). I have an Olympus product, but not the E-500. Monza76 is right about the "feel". I've held both the Rebel and E-500 at retailers and the Canon just feels "plasticky" to me (it's OK, I make up my own words). Oh, the E-500 is a plastic outer shell too, but feels more solid, as does the standard kit lens.

My Olympus has the dust-removal feature and I have yet to clean my sensor. It was a major selling point for me. The Rebel has more focusing points, and if that's a hot-button for you, look that way (I'm "old school" and use the center one only). For me, one is good enough as long as it's accurate. The Canon also boasts (and proves in tests) better high-ISO performance. Up to ISO 400 there isn't any noticeable difference. If you shoot at higher ISO's (800,1600) the Canon has proved itself better. Again, if this is your type of shooting, look Rebel. The Canon also wins in the world of aftermarket lenses, with companies like Sigma and Tamron offering more choices for the Canon mount (although Sigma is releasing 5 new Olympus mount lenses in the fall). As far as IS (image-stabilization) is concerned, mine is called a tripod.

Olympus; 8 MP. Canon; 6 MP. If you're a number junkie that's important. If not, no tie-breaker here. Finally, look through the viewfinder of both cameras. Your eye will be spending a lot of time here, make sure you're comfortable with the view (size, brightness, display, etc.). If you have the chance, go to retailers that have lens-mounted models and bring your own memory card with you. Take shots in the storewith both and review them at home. A picture is worth a thousand dollars.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 7:18 AM   #6

Quote:
remember reading somewhere that the entire CCD compartment of the EVOLT E-500 is sealed up with a glass sheet that prevents dust from touching the CCD. The Supersonic Wave Filter will vibrate 35,000 times a second to shake those dust off the glasssheet to give the CCD a clear view everytime you switch on the camera
All sensors are covered by a filter. The filter is not user (or dust) accessible in any DSLR camera. The sensor cleaning option is a nice feature, but I maintain that through careful use, sensor cleaning will not be an issue with any dslr. In two years I've only cleaned the sensors once in each of my cameras. It is not a daunting task by any stretch. Eventually all sensors will need cleaning, and Olympus's cleaning system will not prevent dust from adhering to the sensor at some point in time. It should not be a reason to not be careful or change lenses willy-nilly in poor conditions.

Again, all DSLRs give great images. My only issue with olympus (and the other 4/3 bodies) is the lack of 3rd party support (cheaper, more available lenses and accessories) and lack of upgrade path. The Suiko lenses although being optically great, are also extremely expensive,and usually the only option.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 9:14 AM   #7

Remember that the Olympus EVOLT E-500 has an extensiveWB temperature and fine tuningsetting over the EOS-350D; (Makes the camera pretty interesting IMO).

• Auto
• 3000 K (Incandescent)
• 4000 K (Fluorescent 1)
• 4500 K (Fluorescent 2)
• 5300 K (Daylight)
• 6000 K (Cloudy)
• 6600 K (Fluorescent 3)
• 7500 K (Shade)
• Kelvin (2000 - 10000 K)
• Custom• Red - Blue: +/- 7 steps (2 mired each)
• Green - Magenta: +/- 7 steps (2 mired each)

WB Bracketing:

• 3 frames
• 4, 8 or 12 mired steps

E-500 WB quote from dcresource:

Code:
The E-500 has a complete set of white balance controls, as you'd expect. You can choose from several presets, and a custom feature lets you use a white or gray card for perfect color in any lighting. You can also fine-tune each WB setting in the red/blue and green/magenta direction. If that's still not enough, you can even set the color temperature yourself (range of 2000K - 14000K).
I don't think the EOS-350D is that advance in the WB area. The E-500 wins even the WB function ofthe Sony Alpha A100 dSLR. http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

And it has more precise ISO selections at 1/3 EV increments that the EOS-350D doesn't have:

• Auto (ISO 100 - 400)
• ISO 100
• ISO 125
• ISO 160
• ISO 200
• ISO 250
• ISO 320
• ISO 400
• ISO 500
• ISO 640
• ISO 800 (expanded range option)
• ISO 1000
• ISO 1250
• ISO 1600 (expanded range option)

Compare (For the more particuler ones);

EVOLT E-500: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page2.asp

EOS-350D: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page2.asp

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:07 PM   #8

Olympus E-Volt E-500 for sure:-)
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:40 PM   #9

This may sound strange but I cannot hold onto a Canon 350D, the ridiculously small grip makes it fall out of my hands (dropped one in a store, only the theft prevention tether kept it from hitting the floor, when I recovered from the shock I put it back and said never again.)

The E-500 on the other hand is a well balanced easy to hold camera (as are the Pentax *istD-series cameras, the Sony (or K/M) model(s) and the Nikon D50). I would pick the Olympus for that reason alone.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:38 PM   #10

I wanted to thank everyone for taking the time and replying. I have decided to go with the Evolt E-500.
Crimcheck is offline   Reply With Quote