Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:59 PM   #1

Hey all, I'm looking for a good camera just to carry in my pocket for everyday use. My Kodak P850 is an amazing camera, but it's a giant, so I can only carry it when I specifically plan to take photos. I don't have many requirements, heres what I'm looking for.

-5MP would be nice, 4 is fine and I'll even take 3 if the price is right.
-LCD Screen size DOES NOT MATTER! In fact, I would prefer a small one because that usually cuts costs.
-It needs a viewfinder, sometimes I have trouble seeing in my Kodaks high quality massive 2.5" bright LCD, I sure don't want to be squinting into a compacts LCD, so this is a must.
-It's gotta be small. Smaller than 9.1(W) x 6.6(H) x 3.5(D) cm. I looked at a camera with those measurements and it was too big. Depth was the main problem on it.
-I don't need many advanced features. I want a macro mode and some scene modes. Manual mode would be nice, but that doesn't come cheap, and I'm willing to lose it.
-3x zoom would be great.

So anyways, either tell me what you use for a pocket camera or suggest a suitable one. Just bear in mind that this is a secondary camera and it doesn't need to be great.

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:17 AM   #2

Was I being too specific? I am very flexible, just suggest small cameras with viewfinders please.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:17 PM   #3

You might consider the Sony DSC-W30.

The only real difference from the W50 is it only has a 2" sceen. It has an optical viewfinder, a nice small pcoketable size, and it's a 2006 model with good image quality. For about $220 US.

You might find the Cannon SD500 competitive around that price, but that model is a year older.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4

I replied to your previous post with the same question. Well here is it again:

Tigerdirect.ca is selling Canon Powershot A430 for CAN$198:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2175883&CatId=127

Vistek for CAN$199.95, Henry's for CAN$199.99

4 MP, 4X optical zoom (39 - 156 mm), use 2 X AA batteries, ISO 64 - 400, and your requirement optical viewfinder! It has the thickness of an AA battery and it is not as slim as an Exilim or Cybershot T9, but those card cams use proprietary Li batteries.

Steve also gave this camera a thumbs-up!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a430.html

The only problem is the dimensions, but they are close:

10.3 x 5.2 x 4.0 cm (too thick for your liking?)

The thickness is to accomodate the AA batteries. For anything slimmer, you have to go with a camera with proprietary batteries, and that costs more.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2006, 12:55 AM   #5

Thank you both! That Sony definatly looks like a possibility!

As for the Canon A430, I actually looked at it today, and it is just too big. When you add up the volumes of the cameras, the Canon is almost twice as big as the Sony. Thanks for the advice though.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 2:11 PM   #6

My local camera shop, all the way downtown said Sony's are not the way to go!

shooting_rubber.:-)
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:34 AM   #7

Actually Sony isn't that bad if you don't plan to expand your memory cards (its a small cost that adds up heavily).

I like the idea of having a Carl Zeiss lens in my camera instead of a basic variety.

BTW...I work in a store in downtown Toronto that says Sonys are not a way to go.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Actually Sony isn't that bad if you don't plan to expand your memory cards (its a small cost that adds up heavily).
Ah, that's why the Sonys are so reasonable. They get you on the memory card. Really the W series Sonys look to me to be $50+ cheaper than comparable Cannon models right now in the US. And while the memory is a bit pricey, Newegg has the 1GB MS Pro Duo for $63, and the 512MB is around $45. So if you're only going to buy one card and normally transfer your images to the computer, I don't think that's too bad. It's not that different from the xD cards. But it is a bit less of a deal than I thought.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:33 AM   #9

I am agreement with the Sony opinions noted here, but the W30 is a good price for an ultracompact. The a430 will take better pics, faster, more zoom, and has a better autofocusing though. What I usually tell people when they buy cameras from us is that personal preference is the most paramount decision in buying the camera. If you want great pic quality in a fast camera then choose the Canon. If you want decent quality in a budget ultra-compact then choose the W30. It's what makes you happy in the end.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote