Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:09 PM   #11

Well said, rjseeney-

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:30 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Yeah - when are you actually going to buy this camera?

Isn't this about your 5th thread comparing all the entry-level DSLRs.

If you take your photography seriously you will shoot RAW and process on the PC and that means that 75% of the things you are obsessing about are going to be irrelevant at that point.

rjseeny is 100% correct the most important difference between these cameras is ergonomics. How they feel in your hands; that is a very personal choice. On pretty much every other factor they are all very very close, so your obsessive worry about making the wrong choice is not going to happen because they are all very similar cameras.

The pictures you are seeing there are worthless precisely because they are carelessly taken. He's just taking snaps of similar scenes, but under diffrerent conditions.

You've really had all the advice we can give you - good luck with your choice, but this is my last post to you until AFTER you have bought the camera and posted some of YOUR pictures.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:56 PM   #13

"The best camera is the one that's used the most often".

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:13 PM   #14
TC3

I went with the K100D after trying both the 350D and Nikon D70/50. I definatly made the right choice for me. The SR is fantastic and i am taking pics handheld at 1/2 and 1/4 sec blur free! The camera comes with one of the better kit lenses on the market. This camera is gonna be hot and is sold out in Japan as they can not keep up with demand.

Of course your needs might be different but why not check out the pentax slr forum on www.dpreview.com and am pretty sure u will be impressed with the user reviews. There are not proper expert reviews at the moment but i for one take no notice of those and prefer to see what people who actually own the camera think of it
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:34 PM   #15

BenjaminXYZ

I have been following your posts in this forum and others and I believe that rjseeney, MT and vIZnquest are all correct. You show signs of over-research, you have used quotes from reviewers to contradict comments by actual users. There are many "measurbators" and "pixel-peepers" out there, partly because the only way to differentiate between products in this market is through obsessive fascination with minute details.

It is not that these details are not important, but are often meaningless to the specific user. it is like the often quoted top speed of an automobile, probably the most useless performance statistic. The Subjective, qualitative, experience of using a camera and enjoying the results are for more important than the objective, quantitative statistics. Qualitative features make the camera a joy to use, and qualitative image features make the results more pleasing. My Fuji S7000 is an example of a camera that is maligned for its image quality since it produces results that do not look sharp at 100% on a computer screen, however I have never owned a camera that could produce a better 8" X 10" print, the best I have seen merely equals it. Many cameras with better specs produce images that may be technically perfect but lack some elusive quality that makes them good print makers.

Quantitative statistics deal with detail. If I were a sports shooter I would be interested in burst speed and depth, if I were a landscape photographer I would probably go for the highest resolution and the best wide angle glass, if I were an available light enthusiast I would look for some sort of stabilization and wide aperture lenses along with good noise statistics, if I were a macro photographer I would want a good macro lens and a good flash system, if I were a portrait photographer I would want low noise and a good short telephoto lens... Are there cameras that offer all of these features, most pro models come close.

At the entry level we have to decide which compromises best suit our shooting style. As a former Pentax and Minolta 35mm film SLR user I looked at what my option were and chose the Pentax DL, it suited my style of photography. I would have considered a Konica/Minolta but I was in the market during the upheaval and couldn't even get my hands on a camera unless I ordered it sight-unseen. I believe the feel of the camera in your hands is very important (that is why I could not own a Canon Rebel XT, it feels as bad as the Canon 20D is good, I would have to save for the 20D or 30D because I would drop an XT, just cannot hold unto it at all).

I believe it is time for you to make a decision instead of confusing yourself with excessive information. You say you want a camera that suits your skills, well that is a decision that you have to make. You are obviously not a "jewelry shopper" (those who buy Leica or Canon or Nikon because it is fashionable) because you have named every major brand here. Start listing features that you want and you need and then pick the camera that best fits. Image quality is not an issue of enough consequence to be on this list since these cameras all produce excellent image quality, however absolute resolution or good noise characteristics may be important to you.

This is just like asking someone to tell you what car to buy, you get lots of opinions butultimately the only person it has to please is you.

Sorry for being so long winded. Good luck

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 7:45 PM   #16

BenjaminXYZ,

Your question is very serious and deserves a seriuos answer. I do not deeply know some of cameras you mentioned, I am an amateur photographer and I hesitate before lefting behind my Pentax 6x7, Hasselblad and a 4x5 Toyo view camera because I didn't believe the digital could give an acceptable level of resolution. Now Ialready had six digital cameras (Isell one to buy another). My best camera now is the Sony R1. It satisfies my needs. Resolution for me is essential and it is a top level on it (I would rather have a digital Hasselblad, but it is too much money and hard to use). I think that if you do not intend to buy a long tele, there is no advantage on having a SLR with a mirror to make noise. The R1 synchronizes the flash up to 1/2000. The disavantage isthat the LCD viewfinder isn't fast enough for sports.In the mode "framing" the viewfinder can be kept bright even if the the photo is supposed to be underexposed but theproblem is thatthis mode doesn't work when you use manual focus.To operate in this condition I made an external viewfinder, just a piece of metal with a hole and awire frame in front of it to give some idea ofwhat I am shooting, it fits the hotshoe of the camera. With this arrangement I can shot very quikly using manual focus and manual exposure without flash.

Now I am waiting for the Nikon D80 with the new lens 18-135, 28-200 equivalent(I believe) this would give a better range than the R1, but I doubt it would be a replacement for the R1 but it surely is for some of the cameras you mentioned, if you accept a polycarbonate body, like the R1. For me it would be ok. The ne Sony SLR is also to be considered.

The R1 is not very lightweight but it is acceptable for me. The photos are excellent.

I hope other participants can share their experiences with other equipments. This is the purpose of the forum.

Good luck
Kleber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:30 AM   #17

Thanks to all for all the strong advices. Since this thread is still about the photo comparisons (which is appearantly looking pointless), I won't make my (hopefully) final "which camera to buy" speech very long.

Here goes;

I have safely concluded that my main criterias for my next camera are specified in the following list:

High ISO performance up to ISO 1600 atleast. (I am going to shoot a lot of concert shots, indoor conference shots, candid shots in dimly lit restorants, and in my church where the lightings often requires ISO 800 and above to get clear results. I will be shooting allthose applications mostly without the flash because the flash often distract people. (These places are people filled places and they oftenget distracted easily most of the time). I don't want to take every shot with people expressing annoyance or attention you see.

Secondly, I always encounter serious white balance accuracy problems while shooting in (Expecially)indoor situations, somehow the auto or preset white balance settingsdoesn't always give me the desire results. (I alwayscan't seems to get the WB right). I guess I need WB fine tuning or color temperature settings; I know all this can be done in photoshop. However, it is not all the time that I can spend my time at photoshop and sometimes I would just like to get it right once and for all without worry for later.

Thirdly, I capture a lot of long exposure shots (on any circumstances) whether it is macro or landscape shots, so I need the mirror lock up feature to counter any blurr image at all. (These shots are usually my masterpiece and I will always use the self-timer to prevent even the slightest vibration).

Fourthly, I would like an LCD thathasasharpness enough for me to check for critical sharpness. Size is not so important, but resolution is more important.

Fiftly, in a dSLR; since I will be using the TTL viewfinder all the time (you know right), I will therefore prefer one that is big and bright enough. (Something with .8x magnification and above with viewfinder gridlines if possible since I do achitectural shots).If it is an EVF, then somethingwith 230,000 pixelsand above will be just fine. Ofcouse if there is a live preview mode, then the main LCD should be sharp and bright enough.

Finally, speed is important since I shoot actions. I just need fast focus and start up times. This also reminds me that I also need convenient controls that I can reach easily during such a situation to make quick adjustments. Generally I want a fast or responsive camera to do the job, not one that would keep me waiting in any way.

Actually this morning, I was really excited about the idea of gettingthe Canon EOS 20D (new). I was thinking of getting it with the Canon 50 mm F/1.8 prime lens (new) since my entire budget is only 900 USDs. I will then put up with that prime until I get a good zoom later. I get to have the EOS 20D!!! (It was so exciting thought)But things might not turn out that well I can imagine. The EOS 20D might still be above my budget. On the other hand, I got so excited to the extend of thinking about a refurbish EOS 20D IF I cannot afford a new one! Actually I really LIKE that camera, it doesn't look like a camera that can get outdated. I really wish I could go for it or could I? On the other hand, the Nikon D70s with the 18 - 70 glass (kit) now seems to be for $899 according to dpreview. (I also like it a lot). :|

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nikon_d70s.asp

Finally, keep in mind that any of these selected cameras will have to last me a few years down the road, it better be _______.......I might have to pull the trigger within the next few days, but if I have to wait, I can wait. (Unfortunately, the big one week conferencestarts tomorrow; but there is more eventsto come at year end)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:25 AM   #18

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Actually this morning, I was really excited about the idea of gettingthe Canon EOS 20D (new).
Quote:
On the other hand, the Nikon D70s with the 18 - 70 glass (kit) now seems to be for $899 according to dpreview. (I also like it a lot). :|

I hate to say this given the tone of your thread but, why would you consider the D70s over say the D50 - the D70 has WORSE high ISO noise performance. From the Nikon camp the D50 is the best performer at high ISO.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:38 AM   #19

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Actually this morning, I was really excited about the idea of gettingthe Canon EOS 20D (new).
Quote:
On the other hand, the Nikon D70s with the 18 - 70 glass (kit) now seems to be for $899 according to dpreview. (I also like it a lot). :|

I hate to say this given the tone of your thread but, why would you consider the D70s over say the D50 - the D70 has WORSE high ISO noise performance. From the Nikon camp the D50 is the best performer at high ISO.
The D70 also does not have mirror lockup. Also, don't forget about the added costs of memory and a tripod (for you long exposures). Those items will add another $200+ to your final cost.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 7:49 AM   #20

Ehhh, the reason why I selected the Nikon D70s is because of the TTL VF grid lines, WB finetuning, and the ISO selection at the 1/3 EV steps. :-)I like to have more control you see. BTW, my parents might be coming out for the HS (high speed)CF cards for me considering thatthey are not a lot of $$$$.

I also like the Nikon D50 a lot but but but it has obmitted certain controls in the D70s (I heard) that makes the camera more inconvenient to operate swiftly (Something I desire much out in the field).

Regards. (BTW, I didn't dare tomention that I have actuallygot a perfect match withthe Sony A100 dSLR after using the dpreview feature search guide). No, it wasn't the 10 MP that made it, it was the features that I selected with the MP space at "don't mind".

BTW, I already have a tripod. (So, not an issue at cost).

So which camera or dSLR should I go for? (Just be frank)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote