Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:19 AM   #21

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Ehhh, the reason why I selected the Nikon D70s is because of the TTL VF grid lines, WB finetuning, and the ISO selection at the 1/3 EV steps. :-)I like to have more control you see. BTW, my parents might be coming out for the HS (high speed)CF cards for me considering thatthey are not a lot of $$$$.

I also like the Nikon D50 a lot but but but it has obmitted certain controls in the D70s (I heard) that makes the camera more inconvenient to operate swiftly (Something I desire much out in the field).

Regards. (BTW, I didn't dare tomention that I have actuallygot a perfect match withthe Sony A100 dSLR after using the dpreview feature search guide). No, it wasn't the 10 MP that made it, it was the features that I selected with the MP space at "don't mind".

BTW, I already have a tripod. (So, not an issue at cost).

So which camera or dSLR should I go for? (Just be frank)

The Sony is a nice choice because it will probably do most of what you want and it has image stabilization built into the camera and an anti-dust feature.

The only complaint so far about the Sony seems to be from people who previously owned it's predecessor theKM 5D or the higher end KM 7D. The complaint is that it is noisier than the KM 5D, which it replaced. The noise is due to Sony using a10 mega-pixel sensor instead ofthe 6 mega-pixels of the KM 5D. Unfortunately increasing mega-pixels in the same size sensor means using smaller pixels, which translates to higher noise ratios because smaller pixels can't capture as much light as larger ones.

Truthfully, from the results I have seen, I don't find the additional noise that bad and having 10 mega-pixels will allow for larger size prints. I personally own both a KM 5D and 7D and they are great cameras.

Sony basically took what was already a great camera and added some enhancements. The slightly elevated noise issue wouldn't stop me from buying it, but I thought you might want to be aware of it.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:32 AM   #22

I own both the D70 and D50, and honestly use the D50 more often. I only use the D70 if I'm using multiple flashes (nikon's creative lighting system, as the D70's flash can be used as a remote commander), or if I need a bit extra control, such as studio work. White balance tuning is no big deal, as I always (or almost always) shoot RAW. I've found this gives better results than trying to dial in the white balance in camera and using JPEG. Image quality, and high ISO performance is better in the D50, although all high ISO images benefit from noise reduction (I know that you don't want to do post work, but believe me, its unavoidable with a DSLR especially at high ISO's). The only feature I really miss in the D50 (in addition to remote flash ability) is the grid lines, although this is easily fixable in Photoshop too. You could easily get the D50 with two kit zooms (solid if unremarkable performers) and a 50 f1/8 for only a few dollars over your proposed budget. This would give you tons of flexibility and cover just about every shooting situation you could encounter (except maybe wildlife, where a longer zoom is needed).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:05 AM   #23

Yeah, the noise seems to be more in the Sony A100 dSLR...

The new Sony CCD chip in their A100 is only a tiny bit larger than the 6 MP ones. I think it is at 23.6 x 15.8 mm if I am not mistaken wherebout the 6 MP one was at 23.5 x 15.7 mm. You can use a culcalator and multiply them to find the area. :-)Only a tiny bit larger if should be considered at all; they are 1.5 crop factorCCDsanyway. (Only the CanonAPS CMOSones are 1.6 crop factor)

The Minolta Maxium 7D actually fits my criterias very well, but I guess it isn't selling new anymore. :sad:The A100 is the next in line to it. (Perhapes they are the same IMO)

Regarding the D50, I understand that it has some superiority over the D70s and it has been mentioned in most reviews if not all. Most notably the CCD in the D50 has a broader dynamic range (One of the best in fact), less noise at all the ISOs, and also less moires. I don't know why Nikon can make it better than the D70s...The noise characteristics of the D50 is also finer grained at higher ISOs which is a better thing.

Here isthe nerdy Imatest Results of the D50 proclaiming it's superiority over the D70s in the image sensor department. (Sorry, I feel in the mood today). :-)

Compare: :idea:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D50/D50IMATEST.HTM (Look at dynamic range^)

D70s Imatest Results; (If you are interested)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...70SIMATEST.HTM

You can note the less wow factor.

Allright, back on topic>>>

I have decided to go for the Nikon D50 but I have an interest in creating dept of field effects...I want to be able to blur out backgrounds easily with sharply focus subjects anywhere anytime. How isthat possible with the D50? I believe I need a lens with F/1.8or F/1.4 aperture is it true?

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:40 AM   #24

The D50 has no more difficulty blurring backgrounds than the D70. The easiest way to achieve the effect is with larger aperatures, but blurred backgrounds can be achieved at f5.6 or even higher by increasing the subject to background distance, or by using a lens with a longer focal length
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:46 AM   #25

Okay thanks, I will be seeing to the glasses, apertures and focal lengths.

Right now, I think it is settled for me. Bye!

8)
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:31 PM   #26

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, the noise seems to be more in the Sony A100 dSLR...

The new Sony CCD chip in their A100 is only a tiny bit larger than the 6 MP ones. I think it is at 23.6 x 15.8 mm if I am not mistaken wherebout the 6 MP one was at 23.5 x 15.7 mm. You can use a culcalator and multiply them to find the area. :-)Only a tiny bit larger if should be considered at all; they are 1.5 crop factorCCDsanyway. (Only the CanonAPS CMOSones are 1.6 crop factor)

The Minolta Maxium 7D actually fits my criterias very well, but I guess it isn't selling new anymore. :sad:The A100 is the next in line to it. (Perhapes they are the same IMO)

Regarding the D50, I understand that it has some superiority over the D70s and it has been mentioned in most reviews if not all. Most notably the CCD in the D50 has a broader dynamic range (One of the best in fact), less noise at all the ISOs, and also less moires. I don't know why Nikon can make it better than the D70s...The noise characteristics of the D50 is also finer grained at higher ISOs which is a better thing.

Here isthe nerdy Imatest Results of the D50 proclaiming it's superiority over the D70s in the image sensor department. (Sorry, I feel in the mood today). :-)

Compare: :idea:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D50/D50IMATEST.HTM (Look at dynamic range^)

D70s Imatest Results; (If you are interested)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...70SIMATEST.HTM

You can note the less wow factor.

Allright, back on topic>>>

I have decided to go for the Nikon D50 but I have an interest in creating dept of field effects...I want to be able to blur out backgrounds easily with sharply focus subjects anywhere anytime. How isthat possible with the D50? I believe I need a lens with F/1.8or F/1.4 aperture is it true?
The specs you are quoting on the sensor size are not significant enough to even call it a tiny bit larger though you would be technicallycorrect. That would be like me telling you that the crop factor on the KM is really 1.52 instead of 1.5, which it is, but for multiplication purposes 1.5 is easier.

The Maxxum 7D is still selling new and at a terrific price (724.00) with the 18-70mm kit lensand it is not the same as the Alpha 100. The Alpha is patterned after a 5D body.The 7D is a bigger, heavier camera with a lot more external controls than either the 5D or the Sony Alpha and aimed at a different market. In terms of actual picture quality the 5D and 7D are almost identical. These twocameras are hard to beat for low noise and taking pictures in low light conditions, so if the Alpha has a little more noise, it is still a good choice, just not as good in noise department as the 7D and 5D.All three have built in image stabilization so you will also be able to use at smaller aperatures and or shutter speeds, which also helps you take pictures in lower light conditions with each and every lens you attach to these cameras. You can't get that in the Nikon or Canon without special lenses. Something many shoppers overlook when buying a camera is ergonomics. All three cameras also have some of the best ergonomics in the industry. A very important feature ifyou plan to take a lot of pictures is how comfortable they are to hold. I've tried them all and only a few come close.

Here is a link to the 7D for 724.00 with the kit lens.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4898002

By the way if you search hard enough you can still find brand new 5Ds at less than 500 dollars with the kit lens.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:56 PM   #27

Itis really really really a blessing that the 7D is still available.

I will definitely shoot out at once and get hold of one if I can; unfortunately now it is 1.52 AM in the morning for me!

I hope that the dealers around my area still has it...:O:O:OI don't want to find them sold out!!

I can't believe that it is $724.00 with kit lens! Mann, that is certainly a DEAL!

If I ever cannot get hold of one, then I might just have to be contended with something else...

Thanks a million for that information.

Old Aug 21, 2006, 4:57 PM   #28

Ben,

Go with the E-500. It's feature set exceeds that of the D-70s.

randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:39 AM   #29

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
<snip>So which camera or dSLR should I go for? (Just be frank)
Like you (apparently), I've invested some serious time at assorted user forums and review sites, trying to figure out which entry level dSLR would be best for me. Because I now have a Panasonic FZ7, **the** most important criteria for me = high ISO/low noise combo. I like to shoot birds (hmm, needs rephrasing, eh?), which frequently involves low light, so that steers my "which lens??" decision. All of which has narrowed down **my** field to the Nikon D50 (b/c the D70 is pretty much universally perceived as wanting, compared to its sibling D50's high ISO performance); Canon's 350D Rebel XT, and Minolta's Maxxum 5D (or 7D). The prices went up, dramatically, as the Minolta cams started disappearing in the wake of the recent Sony-takes-over news. Can't find it, so that built-in stabilizer deal no longer entices me. I'm left with the choice of D50 or Rebel XT-- either of which, ** I ** am convinced, would yield good bang for the buck.

I like the idea of the Rebel's extra pixels, solely because I know it will be awhile before I get the prime lens I truly want, so in the interim, I'll be cropping like mad. But I ain't thrilled with its lack of spot metering. Then again, I really like some of the comparatively unique factors offered by the D50. I've compared lenses and related prices/commentary for both "families", including their 3rd party counterparts, and have concluded both dSLRs are sufficiently popular that FINDING a good lens won't be the problem; paying for the sucker will be.

Today, my research will conclude once I determine comparative strength/weaknesses of the respective kit lenses involved. I'm still trying to discern if I should get a kit vs body only, as I will be getting a 50mm f/2.8 lens the same day I place the dSLR order. Thereafter, I will be visiting assorted stores this week, fondling each camera for as long as I can before they call the cops or mental health folks. Somewhere along the line, the ergonomics will tell my gut precisely which of these 2 dSLRs has my name on it. At which point, I'll come back home, sit at my 'pudah, and place my order, likely for overnight or 2-day delivery.

Whichever one I ultimately choose, my research tells me that I win, since this is one of those rare "can't go wrong" scenarios. Now, as for which one would float your boat? Frankly, I have no clue.
TreoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:35 PM   #30

It's nice to come back to this thread. :-)

Judging myself lately, I can conclude that I have no choices at all actually; (I am just like a person in a four way crossroad>>>

(Sorry, I have to rule out the Minolta Maxium 7D because of some reasons and the Olympus EVOLT E-500 as well for some personal reasons). Keep in mind that I am no longer bashing the cameras; I am just trying to appreciate them all from now on.

I ruled out the Olympus E-500 and the Minolta 7D not because they are inferior in anyways, but sometimes there is always a personal choice or preference you see thatcan make me change my mind (For no bad or negativereasonsfor the 7D and E-500's part).

I like all those 4 cameras shown below in those links and will gladly have any one of them>>> (I also like the Nikon D50 - not shown).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sony...lroundview.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Sony...lroundview.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/Nik...lroundview.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Nikon/d70s-01.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Nikon/d70s-02.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Nikon/d70s-03.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Nikon/d70s-04.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Nikon/d70s-05.jpg

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/Nikon/d70s-06.jpg

Don't need to open all the D70s' links.

I was lazing around and admiring thedifferent designs.

I carried an R1 in a Sony outlet and it was really heavy and solidly build. The mainLCD was surprisingly sharp and saturated while the 235,200 pixels EVF (Although is a high quality one) is looking more pixelize to my eye than the main LCD.

Themenus are interesting with the live preview and makes me want to explore them.Overall, the camerawas rather complicated to me with all those buttons and dials. I only used the joystick lol! :lol:Theuser interfacelooks feature laden and interesting.

The buildquality and design of the R1 is just high in quality and the top mountedLCD (when faced up) makes the camera look futuristic.