Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:29 PM   #61

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. :lol:
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:56 PM   #62

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Do you hear voices in your head?

You seem to have about 20 different people in there.

I'm passed being bored by this I think it's really funny again.

Read the article linked to on this page...

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-7897-8537

I bet you'll change your mind again after you read it.
Oh No! Please take that link off before he sees it!

Once he reads that, we will be doomed! :shock:

Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:22 PM   #63

rfortson wrote:
Quote:
Actually it's kinda funny in a sad sorta way.... makes me glad I'm not young anymore.

I had too much energy and I did a lot of evil things. I remember buying my first SLR like it was yesterday. Walked into Macy's... back then they had a real camera dept... looked at a Minolta SRT101... liked the way it felt... gave them my credit card and out the door I went. It was my first purchase on a credit card... it felt like I was getting it for free. Man was I wrong! Anyhow, that was the best camera I ever owned. Nothing I bought after ever that took better pictures. I bought that baby... no research... no comparisons... nada... zilcho...

That was the beauty of film cameras... less to compare. Crop factor,my eye! Sure therewere better cameras, with better lenses, but in those days it was all about photography. Now we have these cameras that more closely resemble a computer than a camera. They focus for us, they decide whether or not to flash. They take pictures by themselves.

Iso, Shmiso! Iso was a type of film not as camera setting. When you wanted to take pictures with no light, you went high ISO. None of this BS, I can't buy a camera because it's too noisy or it handles noise better but leavespictures too soft. Noise????? What Noise???? We called it grainy! and god forbidyou used film other than Kodak. That was down right sacrilege. There was no stinkin Fuji blimp. You saw in blimp in the sky, you knew it was Goodyear. I miss those days back when men were men and sheep were nervous. Back then we took real photosand put them in albums. Now??? we put them on a PC and we watch a slide shows... how dainty!!!We have to make backups and we run out of space because we save every friggin photo because we think we can save it with Post Processing. Makes me want to puke!

Meatwhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:46 AM   #64
Super Moderator

The challenge is now to post links which make him change his mind again.

I have a lovely photograph pinned (magneted?) to my fridge from a friend who was using one of these.

http://www.pinholeresource.com/agora...meras#leonardo

Advantages:

1. Massive depth of field.
2. Enormous 5x4" negative gives far greater quality than even the best DSLR.
3. Batteries last for millions of shots.
4. Floats in water.
5. Looks very cool and attracts the chicks.
6. Makes you feel like a proper photographer.
7. Very reasonably priced.
8. Solid construction, will last a lifetime if treated with care.

Disadvantages:
1. Requires tripod.
2. Not so good for fast action because exposures are normally measured in minutes.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:08 AM   #65

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
The challenge is now to post links which make him change his mind again.

I have a lovely photograph pinned (magneted?) to my fridge from a friend who was using one of these.

http://www.pinholeresource.com/agora...meras#leonardo

Advantages:

1. Massive depth of field.
2. Enormous 5x4" negative gives far greater quality than even the best DSLR.
3. Batteries last for millions of shots.
4. Floats in water.
5. Looks very cool and attracts the chicks.
6. Makes you feel like a proper photographer.
7. Very reasonably priced.
8. Solid construction, will last a lifetime if treated with care.

Disadvantages:
1. Requires tripod.
2. Not so good for fast action because exposures are normally measured in minutes.
I'm gonna buy a few and sell on EBay for a quick profit
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:15 AM   #66

Code:
The D50 is the best choice amongst these cameras, although I do prefer the viewfinder and ergonomics of the K100D, but it just can't match the SNR of the D50, but it would be my 2nd choice.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan for clarifying that. I certainly thought that the DR and high ISO quality of the Nikon D50 will be better than that ofthe K100D's. (Sorry Pentax folks...)

Some interesting post above BTW. :-)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:03 AM   #67
NHL

IMO you can shop around for the camera you want...
It's until you shop for the lenses that you wished your camera has built-in IS/VR...

So what if the image is noisy at high ISO? Do you have to shoot always at high ISO or only once in a while, and even there's Neat image. I have two Canon's dSLR, but still wish it had the features of the Alpha (and I also have many lenses with Is) and never exceed ISO 400.
If it's that dark, I would pull out my flashes before turning up the ISO - sure you can snap a few pictures at high ISO, but rarely the resulting images deserved to be enlarged or framed:
-> Photography is all about lighting or the creative way about using it :idea:
(You are just missing all the fun which is what happen when the ISO is cranked up) :lol: :-) :G
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:07 PM   #68

Meatwhistle wrote:
Quote:
rfortson wrote:
Quote:
Actually it's kinda funny in a sad sorta way.... makes me glad I'm not young anymore.

I had too much energy and I did a lot of evil things. I remember buying my first SLR like it was yesterday. Walked into Macy's... back then they had a real camera dept... looked at a Minolta SRT101... liked the way it felt... gave them my credit card and out the door I went. It was my first purchase on a credit card... it felt like I was getting it for free. Man was I wrong! Anyhow, that was the best camera I ever owned. Nothing I bought after ever that took better pictures. I bought that baby... no research... no comparisons... nada... zilcho...

That was the beauty of film cameras... less to compare. Crop factor,my eye! Sure therewere better cameras, with better lenses, but in those days it was all about photography. Now we have these cameras that more closely resemble a computer than a camera. They focus for us, they decide whether or not to flash. They take pictures by themselves.

Iso, Shmiso! Iso was a type of film not as camera setting. When you wanted to take pictures with no light, you went high ISO. None of this BS, I can't buy a camera because it's too noisy or it handles noise better but leavespictures too soft. Noise????? What Noise???? We called it grainy! and god forbidyou used film other than Kodak. That was down right sacrilege. There was no stinkin Fuji blimp. You saw in blimp in the sky, you knew it was Goodyear. I miss those days back when men were men and sheep were nervous. Back then we took real photosand put them in albums. Now??? we put them on a PC and we watch a slide shows... how dainty!!!We have to make backups and we run out of space because we save every friggin photo because we think we can save it with Post Processing. Makes me want to puke!

I am right there with you on that one. Great start of the day for me. I am still laughing.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:43 AM   #69
TDN

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Code:
The D50 is the best choice amongst these cameras, although I do prefer the viewfinder and ergonomics of the K100D, but it just can't match the SNR of the D50, but it would be my 2nd choice.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan for clarifying that. I certainly thought that the DR and high ISO quality of the Nikon D50 will be better than that ofthe K100D's. (Sorry Pentax folks...)

Some interesting post above BTW. :-)

Don't forget you win a few stops (or an ISO setting) with that SR on the K100D

hehe, just teasing you man. It's good that you made up your mind. You can research & research, but one day you have to follow your gut.

I think the D50 will be a great first step into DSLR's, you'll definitly get a bang for your buck, there are lots of lenses out there to experiment with, and you've got a solid basis to upgrade in the future.

Here's a tip though: once you have the camera, don't go looking at 100% crops and inspecting every pixel to see if you made the right choice. Go out there and take nice pictures! Have fun with your camera! (which I am absolutely sure you will)

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:28 PM   #70

I want to thanks everyone in here for the replies up to this stage.

My extensive search for a capable dSLR or advance prosumer has finally been concluded.

I only have one more problem left, and it has got nothing to do with this forum now;

I need to sell of my Sony Cyber-ShotDSC-N1 camera that I brought last Christmas using my very own money (I brought it for 550 USD). I need to sell it off in order for me to afford my next dSLR with a good quality lens for now; then if I pass my exam by the end of this year, I will be getting a compliment lens for my dSLR.

The thing is; I can have plenty of time even after making my decisions already. I actually tricked my family members some time ago saying that Iwas going to walk to the shops that very minute totrade off my N1 and get my new camera already...(I was getting fustrated).

They quickly assured me that I should wait until Christmas to get the "whatever professional camera" I was wanting to get so badly and use my brand new N1 for a little while more...my N1 was recently replaced with a new motherboard, LCD parts, lens and sensor module by SONY you see; it got damaged and SONY replaced those parts for free. (SONY was really good considering I actually damaged the camera myself - self-inflicted damage). Don't worry, I wasn't in a temper. :-)

So people, I won't be getting my dSLR so fast unless I can sell of my N1 for that fast! :G

See you guys.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote