Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:32 AM   #1

Hello

This is my first post.

I'm looking for a good quality bridge camera (the most important being the image quality, also the zoom range, the shot shutter lag, and the price = no reflex), and hesitate between the sony H5 (my choice before the Fz-50 came out) and the brand new Lumix Fz-50.

Any advices ?

Franckpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:54 PM   #2

No one ?
Franckpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 4:59 PM   #3

According to Panasonic...

"The DMC-FZ50 will be available from September 2006."

Maybe it's available where you live, so maybe you could buy one and let us know if it's any good or not.

I wasn't thrilled with the H5's low light performance...at least not in this test:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/page10.asp

You didn't state if available light photography was important to you, but if it is...

I wouldn't expect the FZ50 to be much better...I could be wrong.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:38 PM   #4

Franckpixel wrote:
Quote:
Hello

This is my first post.

I'm looking for a good quality bridge camera (the most important being the image quality, also the zoom range, the shot shutter lag, and the price = no reflex), and hesitate between the sony H5 (my choice before the Fz-50 came out) and the brand new Lumix Fz-50.

Any advices ?

hi

I think in this day and age shutter lag is no longer an issue. My fz30 shoots as soon as i hit the shutter and even my cheaper dscw5 from sony didi the same thing. As long as the cam has focused and metered etc. (half pressed) or you are in full manual mode (focus and exp)

If you are looking at zoom range just compare the lenses. I dont no about the h5 but my fz30 has a 35m equiv of 35mm-420mm, which is a very long strtch. Sony has got a bit more zoom at 36m to 432mm. Between the 2 i dont think you will see any notable difference.

Image quality. Cant really comment here. I own the fz30 and i am very happy witht he image quality from this cam. As everyone mentions its performance does drastically deteriorate when higher iso levels are used. Moreover my old dscw5 also has very good image quality. I think on this one you will hae to figure out the main environment you wil be shooting in and look at sample images on this forumn from ppl who own the cams. Well current versions in the sense of the fz50

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote