Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Default

I would like to buy a new camera around december, but I cannot choose between the fz30 and the fz50.

I've heard that the fz50 is better in high iso, but that does'nt interest me. I want to make landscape's so i'm probably only use iso 100, 200 and 400. Is the fz50 than a good choise instead of the fz30?

the fz30 is very good, but they complain about noise at already iso 200. Is it better with the fz50 without any loss of detail?

thank you very much and sorry for my bad english, I am dutch.


paul1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 2:10 PM   #2
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5
Default

Hello

If you plan to shoot landscapes, you should consider the sony R1 : more expensive, but with a wide-angle zoom, best suited for landscapes.
Franckpixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:14 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

paul1987 wrote:
Quote:
I would like to buy a new camera around december, but I cannot choose between the fz30 and the fz50.

I've heard that the fz50 is better in high iso, but that does'nt interest me. I want to make landscape's so i'm probably only use iso 100, 200 and 400. Is the fz50 than a good choise instead of the fz30?

the fz30 is very good, but they complain about noise at already iso 200. Is it better with the fz50 without any loss of detail?

thank you very much and sorry for my bad english, I am dutch.

Neither camera does well above ISO 200. Be certain that you can live with never takingpictures in lower light settings without a flash. They are not good for landscapes. The lens is just not wide enough and using a wide adapter diminishes your light. You are better off with a DSLR.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
BenjaminXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 788
Default

Guess it's my turn to start helping people out. :-)

Code:
I would like to buy a new camera around december, but I cannot choose between the fz30 and the fz50. 

I've heard that the fz50 is better in high iso, but that does'nt interest me. I want to make landscape's so i'm probably only use iso 100, 200 and 400. Is the fz50 than a good choise instead of the fz30?

the fz30 is very good, but they complain about noise at already iso 200. Is it better with the fz50 without any loss of detail?

thank you very much and sorry for my bad english, I am dutch.
I believe the Panasonics fails even at ISO 400. If you are going to use above ISO 100, you better look away from those!

Both models will be just as bad at ISO200+ and above!

I shall suggest models that have VERY GOOD (Much better)ISO 400 performance>>>

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...nepixs6500.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...epixs5200z.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...epixs9000z.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...canon_s3is.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch5.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...sony_dsch2.asp

See, the choices are plenty.










BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:27 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 28
Default

I work in a camera shop in Toronto and earlier this week we finally got our shipments of Panasonic FZ50. I can tell you, the camera is a must buy if you were planning to get the FZ30 earlier. The FZ50 has a usable ISO up to 1600 at full resolution. I managed to take a few sample images. The Venus Engine III does wash out a lot of details at ISO 1600 (obviously) but ISO800 and ISO400 are very usable and it is certainly a very nice improvement over the noisy sensor in the FZ30.

Also I managed to try out the Intelligent ISO Stabilizer. It really does work! I was really impressed. I tried taking a picture of a metronome (a musical beat timer) and it really did know how to calculate the ISO to get the metronome 'frozen'.

To sum it up, if you were being turned off by the FZ30's noise, definately consider the FZ50 ($799 CDN retail). I was playing with that camera for hours at work. Its a breeze to use and the subtle improvements are making this camera closer to perfect.

Oh and it can fire Olympus flashes because it has a new connector.
Renegade_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:46 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Renegade_R wrote:
Quote:
I work in a camera shop in Toronto and earlier this week we finally got our shipments of Panasonic FZ50. I can tell you, the camera is a must buy if you were planning to get the FZ30 earlier. The FZ50 has a usable ISO up to 1600 at full resolution. I managed to take a few sample images. The Venus Engine III does wash out a lot of details at ISO 1600 (obviously) but ISO800 and ISO400 are very usable and it is certainly a very nice improvement over the noisy sensor in the FZ30.

Also I managed to try out the Intelligent ISO Stabilizer. It really does work! I was really impressed. I tried taking a picture of a metronome (a musical beat timer) and it really did know how to calculate the ISO to get the metronome 'frozen'.

To sum it up, if you were being turned off by the FZ30's noise, definately consider the FZ50 ($799 CDN retail). I was playing with that camera for hours at work. Its a breeze to use and the subtle improvements are making this camera closer to perfect.

Oh and it can fire Olympus flashes because it has a new connector.
Quote:
Please post some samples because what I have seen so far at ISO 1600 is horrible. 800 and 400 are not that great either unless you areshooting in daylight and in those conditions you don't need anything above 200.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2
Default

I just saw the Pentax DSLR K100D with a 18-55 mm lens, for 661€ thats a nice price, so maybe it also could be a pentax. But I shall first look around on how the test results are.
paul1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Default

paul1987 wrote:
Quote:
I just saw the Pentax DSLR K100D with a 18-55 mm lens, for 661€ thats a nice price, so maybe it also could be a pentax. But I shall first look around on how the test results are.
A much better choice for sure


Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:12 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
zygh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 531
Default

I agree. Both Panasonics are horrible for ISO speeds above 100. As a former owner of the FZ30, I will never consider buying a Panasonic again, at least not as long as they have those terrible issues with noise. On the other hand, if I were to get a P&S with zoom and a wide lensI would choose Fuji's S6500 which is promising to be the best of it's class ever built, as it is the case with the F10 and now the F30. When you are speaking P&S there is only one language as far as I am concerned: Fujifilm.

Still, a dSLR will put any P&S to shame. And the K100D is one of the best 6MP out there. Still, I would advise you to get a better lens. The 18-55mm lenses presentin most entry-level dSLR kitsare mediocre at best. If you're gonna shoot landscapes the first lens you'll need is the widest and the fastest one you can afford. That will give you more space to grow into and will prevent you from reselling your gear to finance the lenses that are best suited to your needs. Watch out for Tokina's upcoming 16-50mm F2.8 lens. I have made another list of fast and widezoom lenses here: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=66. Ofcourse, those lenses should be available in Pentax mount as well. If it's wider lenses than that then I think Sigma has a 10-20mm and Tokina has a 12-24mm. They also should work greatfor landscape photography.

Cheers!

zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 163
Default

for landscape you want a wider lens, such as the

28mm that the Fuji s9000 has.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:54 PM.