Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:35 PM   #1

I'm upgrading from my old 2.2mp point and shoot Kodak to a more serious grade camera.
My budget is around the $1,500AU mark ($1,100US).
It will be a general use camera but more towards outdoor/nature photography.
I want a reasonably light weight body as it will be used to travel with.
I want to look at purchasing new lenses in the future so I want to have the availability of decent lenses (would like something reasonably cost affective but good quality)
Reasonable to good battery life as well.
I am quite keen on the Canon EOS 350D as I have read good reviews and it comes right in on budget.
I would love to hear whether you feel this meets my requirements or whether you would recommend anything else over this.
Currently I'm looking at getting: http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p...-75-300-SILVER – which comes with 2 lenses.
Appreciate any feedback.
tumoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:50 PM   #2

Yes, this would be good, but you could also look at the Nikon D70, Nikon D200...or maybe the Olympus EVOLT E-500......:-)

If that is in your price range. You will be able to invest in decent lenses for this camera after you purchase.

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3

All of the entry level dslrs are fantastic.
I have the 350D and can really recommend it.
However, with those lenses you really are not going to get much better shots than a high-end point and shoot with a quality stabilised lens. With that kit you are going to want to replace both lenses fairly soon, buy a spare battery and more storage, get a tripod, buy filters ...
Unless you really do want to spend more in the future you might be better off with an fz30 or similar mega-zoom. This would save you a fair bit of money now and quite a lot in the future. The versatility of these cameras is really quite amazing and you are looking at well more than double the cost for a dslr kit that covers the same range. For travel they are also vastly more convenient. Unless you need to take pics that a p&s can't - low light hand-held shots, portraits with thin depth of field or landscapes that you want to print very large, a dslr might be overkill.
I think the istD with a Tamron/Sigma/Tokina 17-50f2.8 would be the cheapest entry point for a dslr with a nice, general-purpose lens.
By the way, slr cameras and lenses in Australia are hugely over priced, probably due to the limited market. Does seem t ohave gotten better in the last year but you might want to do some of that travelling before you buy...
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:42 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments.

The D200 is a bit to much of a stretch on the budget but I will look into the D70 and E500.

I've given a considerable amount of thought into either getting a good quality point n shoot or a lower end SLR and it's definatly going to be the SLR.

I'm prepared for the extra cost and the option to expand is a big reason for my choice. Already have the memory for the camera, a tripod and would buy extra batteries regardless of the camera I buy. The main consideration is the lenses.

I'm still quite torn on which camera to go for but I keep drawing towards to Canon 350D.

Would like to hear any reasons why I should, or why I shouldn't choose this camera.

I'd also like to hear whether buying a lense pack (as linked above) is a good option to purchase or should I buy them indapendantly later?

Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:26 AM   #5

Asking a photographer which camera system to buy into is a little like asking a priest which religion you should join. The answer is going to be 'my one.' I have a 350D and so I think you should get that.
Seriously, all of the entry level dslrs are really good and, by the standards of two years ago, fantastic value.
When I asked the same questions a year or so ago I found that general opinion was that canon cameras had slightly better high iso performance and nikon cameras were slightly better made and had better laid-out controls. The other brands seem faster to get new features to market (such as in-built anti-shake). Whether or not all of this is still valid, or even if it was then, I can't really say.
As to the lens pack, well the kit lens is really good value even though it is not a really good lens. The canon 75-300 is a bit of a dog - sigma make a similar but much better lens for less though the 'lens pack' might still make it a good deal. Just checked. You're paying about $250 over the body only for those lenses so that's fairly cheap though you can get the kit lens on ebay for $50 and that tele zoom is there at $150...
I would recommend getting a sigma/tamron/tokina 17-50 f2.8 as a general lens. All three companies make a similar lens and all are excellent and lenses you will want to keep, unlike the kit lens.
The best value telephoto zoom is (IMO) the sigma 70-300f4-5.6APO. I bought one for about AU$250 in China but they seem disappointingly more expensive here in Aus, as does all camera gear. You have to spend 2-3 times as much to get a significantly better lens than this one.
Those two make a pretty good and fairly cheap starter kit.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:19 AM   #6

Is the Tokina 16 - 50 F/2.8 APS-C zoom out already?
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:52 PM   #7

jacks wrote:
Quote:
Asking a photographer which camera system to buy into is a little like asking a priest which religion you should join
I understand what you mean.

I suppose the main thing I'm looking for are any camera's which have particular issues that I should stay away from, or whether the reviews I'm reading are lacking information that camera users them selves can make me aware of.

I'm also trying to avoid getting caught like many printer buyers do. Buy the cheaper printer and pay through the roof for consumables (similar to buying the cheaper DSLR and paying through the roof for lenses and batteries)

In the end this is going to be my first DSLR camera and I'm not going to have experience to compare it to, so as long as I'm not buying a known dud I'm going to be heavily impressed (compared to what I'm using now). I just want to know that I expand on it easily and that I'm not missing any other cameras on the market to look into before my final decision.

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:15 AM   #8

I only just brought the 350D (still unopened) and have just found out that the 400D gets released here next week.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Should I take the 350D back and go for the 400D?

What are some of the differences besides the mega pixels? (I don't need 10, I don't even reacon I'd use the 8)