Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:29 AM   #11

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
This is the first time Canon is adding the OIS to their Powershot series and this 7 series model has it now. The 6x optical zoom on the previous A700 was a bit too long to hand hold properly; now the A710 model with the 6x optical zoom comes with IS to prevent blurry shots. That's great!

No it is not the first OIS Powershot. It is the first OIS Powershot "A" series.

See below... the Powershot S3 and S2 already had it

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=11368

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=13077

Also I don't think think the IS on the 700 is optical, at least I don't see it specified as such.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:32 AM   #12

Obviously I missed out the "A series" title. :GI was just too excited.

Code:
Also I don't think think the IS on the 700 is optical, at least I don't see it specified as such.
Oh come on, don't ever underestimate the A series Powershots, I personally think they are better than the S series Powershots.
Quote:
Code:
Image quality

The 6x optical zoom lens achieves a focal length range of 35-210mm (35mm equivalent) while allowing the camera to maintain a small form factor. A real-image optical viewfinder enables framing without the LCD through the full focal range, significantly extending battery life.

The PowerShot A710 IS's optical IS has been specifically engineered for this compact format using the expertise Canon has gained since introducing the technology to its professional range of EF lenses. IS counteracts camera shake to reduce blur, enabling photographers to shoot at shutter speeds up to 3 stops slower. It also allows for steadier shots at full zoom and when using the camera's 1cm Macro mode. The digital IS control chip processes up to 4000 signals per second, driving precise shifts of the lens element to compensate for any unwanted hand movements. The PowerShot A710 IS's ISO 800 and High ISO Auto mode complement the optical IS by enabling high standards of flash-free shooting in low light or indoor environments.
Quote:
Quote:
Optical Image Stabilizer

The PowerShot A710 IS uses a lens shift-type Image Stabilizer (IS) system to detect and correct slight camera shakes that can cause image blur. Minute vibration gyros detect lens tilting caused by hand shake. These signals – up to 4,000 per second – are processed by a single-chip IS controller, which discriminates between hand shake and intentional camera movements. Shake signals are sent to the IS unit, which moves one of the lens elements accordingly to deflect the light rays and cancel out the effects of shake. For improved accuracy and responsiveness, the moving lens element is supported on tiny ceramic spheres. In addition to minimising friction, ceramic spheres avoid some of the problems that can affect metal spheres, such as thermal expansion and magnetism. The PowerShot A710 IS's optical IS allows photographers to shoot at shutter speeds up to 3 stops slower with no perceptible increase in image blur.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:34 AM   #13

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Obviously I missed out the "A series" title. :GI was just too excited.
It's OK.... they do that on purpose to screw with people's minds. I have this conspiracy theory.....

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Well the SD700IS does have optical IS. The A700 didn't have it.

In any case, I'm not sure any of these are that much of a step up from the A540. If someone wants both more zoom and better low light performace, they probably want an actual DSLR. Like maybe a Pentax *istDS wouldn't be too far out of that price range.

But the new A710 IS is probably as good as you are going to get for a price near $350 in a compact. The IS could be well worth the upgrade.

The F30 will give you "DSLR lite" high ISO performance, but with less zoom, and no IS. Or something like a Sony DSC-H2 will give the big 12x zoom and IS, and a bit more of an SLR like body, but without great high ISO performance.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote