Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:03 AM   #1

Hello to everyone

This is my first post in this very active forum. I am looking for every kind of camera now and I am not satisfied from my canon 540 camera. I did some indoor pictures and all I got was noise in everyphoto.

I know that a DSRL gives the best pictures for indoors situation with low light.

But my question is this... Is there any camera with super zoom that comes one or two steps close to a DSRL in some situation...

I was thinking about Kodak P850...

My budget is not over than 350$ for this kind of camera...

What do u think people?
discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 5:52 AM   #3

I think the P850 is a nice camera, but it will have more noise than your A540. Noise above ISO 200 is the one major drawback with that camera.

And while some of the ones listed above will do as well as the A540, I'm not sure any are better on noise. The ones with IS might at least let you use a longer shutter and a lower ISO in some cases (for still shots).

A Fuji F30 will give near DSL performance at high ISO, but is only a 3x zoom.

The not yet released Fuji S6000, using the same chip in the F30, will be a 10.7X zoom, and may be what you're looking for. But, it remains to be seen whether it lives up to expectations. And it will likely sell for at least $400+.

Or maybe look for a used DSLR.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:13 AM   #4

discovery wrote:
Quote:
Hello to everyone

This is my first post in this very active forum. I am looking for every kind of camera now and I am not satisfied from my canon 540 camera. I did some indoor pictures and all I got was noise in every photo.

I know that a DSLR gives the best pictures for indoors situation with low light.

But my question is this... Is there any camera with super zoom that comes one or two steps close to a DSLR in some situation...

I was thinking about Kodak P850...

My budget is not over than 350$ for this kind of camera...

What do u think people?
I don't know if I would call them one or two steps close but there are some decent performers out there. A good DSLR will shoot very acceptable photos at 800 to 1600 ISO. A good super zoom won't get you much past 200 ISO, but that really is subjective on what you deem as acceptable and there are a few exceptions.If you are shooting outdoors or indoors in decent light than high ISO is irrelevant.The Fujis seem to handle the noise quite well, but a bit short on zoom, but as another member posted the 6000 is due out shortlyunless you wait for.

You might wantreevaluate if you need really a super zoom. Most people start outthinking they want the most zoom, myself included, but then they find they wish they had more wideangle instead. Granted for my DSLRs I have a lens for just about every situation, but in a pocket camera like my Fuji F30, I find the wide angle more useful for the type of shots I take with this camera.I, like many others, started out with an Ultrazoom and found thatit just didn't cut it. I ended upreturning it after a decent trial run and bought a DSLR to cover my hobbyist needs and later decided I needed a compact fun camera that my wife could use. Mypoint is... it really makes sense to have different cameras for different needs instead of trying to squeeze everything into one. There are some good compromises out there, but you will compromise since no camera exist that does everything well.

Here are some Fuji F30 samples, but bear in mindthat due to resizing requirements of photo storage sites, these shots are actually better than they appear. Note: I paid 312 shipped to my door and there was a fifty dollar rebate.

ISO 100

ISO 400 (although technically enough light for a lower ISO, the subject was moving so the higher iso helps)

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:17 AM   #5

Here's some an indoor ISO 1600

( I actually find these acceptable as far as noise... I could have used the flash but wanted to test the high ISO and I pefer the natural look without extra light)

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:09 AM   #6

Fuji seems to be at thee leading edge in producing low noise, high ISO cameras. Many other makers offer some sort of image stabilization but this does not work if your subject is moving, only a higher shutter speed (possible with a higher ISO) can do that.

The Finepix 5200/5600 is also available at very low prices right now, it offers very fast startup, a big zoom and ISO up to 1600.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:07 AM   #7

Thnx for all your fast replies. One more question.Does this F5600 behave like a SRl in functions? I want to learn this camera and be ready for my future slr camera.

thnx
discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:00 AM   #8

Oh, just take a look at the newly announced Canon Powershot A710 IS!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...anona710is.asp

The is one cool Powershot man! Finally Canon decided to add IS and an optical one it is with the usual 6x optical zoom! Congrats to Canon!!!

Also take a look at thenewly announced Canon PowerShot A630 & A640!! Fully featured and value for money! Image quality will certainly be just as greatas the A610 and A620 was!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...nona630640.asp
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:16 AM   #9

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Oh, just take a look at the newly announced Canon Powershot A710 IS!!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...anona710is.asp

The is one cool Powershot man! Finally Canon decided to add IS and an optical one it is with the usual 6x optical zoom! Congrats to Canon!!!

Also take a look at thenewly announced Canon PowerShot A630 & A640!! Fully featured and value for money! Image quality will certainly be just as greatas the A610 and A620 was!

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06...nona630640.asp
You might want to clarify that statement. According to the review it is the firstPowerShot A-Series camera with Optical Image Stabilization.Canon already has optical IS inthe S2 and S3.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...categoryid=113

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:23 AM   #10

This is the first time Canon is adding the OIS to their Powershot series and this 7 series model has it now. The 6x optical zoom on the previous A700 was a bit too long to hand hold properly; now the A710 model with the 6x optical zoom comes with IS to prevent blurry shots. That's great!
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote