Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 22, 2006, 2:23 PM   #1

Really not sure which one I should go for.

I don't know why but I really like the E1 but i think its abit too old.

The other one I really like is D50.

I will use the cameras for wedding and just portraits.

Thanks!
Gurbakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:16 PM   #2

Well, the last wedding I was at we got rain and hail... I would personally go with the E-1 for the weather sealing, but then I shoot a lot outdoors.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:26 PM   #3

Well, if you don't plan on shooting in low light conditions, the D50 is a safe bet. Otherwise, go Canon.
I own the D50 and it is a wonderful camera, still not quite as good with noise levels at high ISOs (~1600) as is the case with the 350D/20D. Hopefully the D80 will greatly improve on that.
Why would you choose an Olympus? Better a Pentax or even a K-M if you can find one, but Olympus? :lol:

P.S. Some people say that the D50 is better with skin tones than the 350D is and thus may be more suited for your needs. Personally, I wouldn't know. Portraits are not my major choice when photography is involved.
zygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:43 PM   #4

zygh wrote:
Quote:
Well, if you don't plan on shooting in low light conditions, the D50 is a safe bet. Otherwise, go Canon.
I own the D50 and it is a wonderful camera, still not quite as good with noise levels at high ISOs (~1600) as is the case with the 350D/20D. Hopefully the D80 will greatly improve on that.
Why would you choose an Olympus? Better a Pentax or even a K-M if you can find one, but Olympus? :lol:

P.S. Some people say that the D50 is better with skin tones than the 350D is and thus may be more suited for your needs. Personally, I wouldn't know. Portraits are not my major choice when photography is involved.

Hmmm I seem to remember that the D50 is ahead of its class when it comes to noise at iso1600..... I think your getting it mixed up with the D200.

agreed there are other choices out there ex. Pentax, sony.

Try handling some of the cameras. If your shooting an entire wedding you want to be sure your hands are not cramped. I personally liked the canon BUT, i simply could not find a comfortable way to hold it. Too small.-
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 7:55 PM   #5

Yep, the D50 feels and weighs just right in my hands. The 350D is unconfortably small and a little on the light side. Ofcourse, those are merely personal preferences.

Monx, what class would that be: The 6MP APS-C sensor dSLR class or the entry level dSLR class?

All I know is that the the 350D's 8MP CMOS coupled with Digic II processor is visibly better than the D50's 6MP CCD sensor in low to poor light conditions.No need to argue about that, it's common knowledge.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:16 AM   #6

Code:
Well, the last wedding I was at we got rain and hail... I would personally go with the E-1 for the weather sealing, but then I shoot a lot outdoors.
How often will people be in such a snowy condition???

Code:

P.S. Some people say that the D50 is better with skin tones than the 350D is and thus may be more suited for your needs. Personally, I wouldn't know. Portraits are not my major choice when photography is involved. ;)
There is some contradictions in your post zygh;

What do you mean by don't plan to shoot in low light conditions???

Don't you know that the D50 is one of the masters in low light photography???

The Rebel XT is AS GOOD as the D50 under dim lighting conditions.

And you are hopingthat the D80 will IMPROVE on THAT??? Come on once again, the D80 will most likely not be as superior as the D50 in lower lighting conditions.

monxis very right in his statements.

Code:
Yep, the D50 feels and weighs just right in my hands. The 350D is unconfortably small and a little on the light side. Ofcourse, those are merely personal preferences.

Monx, what class would that be: The 6MP APS-C sensor dSLR class or the entry level dSLR class?

All I know is that the the 350D's 8MP CMOS coupled with Digic II processor is visibly better than the D50's 6MP CCD sensor in low to poor light conditions.No need to argue about that, it's common knowledge.
Just because it is DIGIC TWO and CANON??? Visibly better is TOTALLY subjective! I also think the R1 at ISO 3200 looks VISIBLY better than both the D200 and A100 at ISO 1600..VISIBLY indeed.I can argue you with facts if you want concerning ISO on both cameras (Rebel XT and D50).

Have a nice day and sorry for the tone, I got very fustrated reading things that contradics what I know. :-)

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 6:31 AM   #7

Ben, I don't see why you're so confused. I thought I was pretty concise in my statements. Do I need to post some ISO1600 shots of the D50 with 50mm f/1.8D Nikkor lens in low light to demonstrate what I am saying?

I am curious as to what facts you have to support your argument that the D50 is "as good" as the 350D in low light.

The attached picture was shot under dim light at ISO1600 using the D50 and the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. I only resized the photo in Photoshop to fit it in this thread. Also, see this link of the dpreview ISO1600 test shots: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page24.asp .Is it just me (or my monitor) but the 350D is VISIBLY better than the D50?

Ben, I am anxiously awaiting your counter arguments. :|
Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:04 AM   #8

As well as shooting our studio test scene at each camera's lowest sensitivity we also shot it higher sensitivities. As you can see from the crops below all of the cameras use a combination of reduced sharpening and/or noise reduction. The cleanest image with the most retained detail is from the Nikon D50 closely followed by the Canon EOS 350D and the Nikon D70s. While the EOS 300D image looks cleaner in the lighter area of the image (the 'signal') more noise is visible in shadows.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond50/page24.asp

this quote is from dpreview itself ( which you yourself posted ).......................:-)

Lets keep it civil, no need to start and angry argument about ISO noise.

monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:22 AM   #9

Also note this graph>>>

As you can see, the D50 has the LOWEST noise levels of all and look>>>

Code:
Here's the same set of noise data at ISO 1600. What's most interesting here is that the Noise Spectrum plot actually shows more high-frequency content (the plot stays higher longer as you move to higher cycles/pixel), making the D50's noise finer-grained at high ISO than at low ISO. This is just the opposite of what usually happens, and helps explain the pleasing appearance of the D50's images at very high ISOs.
Read more in this link>>>

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...D50IMATEST.HTM
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:16 AM   #10

Hmm, apparently the evidence stacks up against my earlier statements. I admit when I am wrong. Still, I would definetely want lower high ISO noise. There were some test shots on dpreview forums and from that it would appear that the D80 improves even more on the D50. It was better yet than the 20D. If you're interested I will look for the link and post it here.

Still, it's amazing to see the 7D doing so well and the A100 not being able to follow in its footsteps regarding noise. From what I've seen the A100 is pretty sucky in that department, pardon my french.