Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:16 AM   #11

Cameta has so far provided me with two E-1 bodies, a 14-54 and 40-150 lens and an SHLD-2 power grip.All seamless transactions. You can actually call and get someone knowledgeable there, and while they will suggest add-on's with your purchase there's no hard-sell. Shipping has always be fast (my second E-1 arrives today if UPS does it's thing!).

With regard to the previously discussed 3 focus points...I'll take one as long as it's accurate (My E-1 has been set to center-point from day one).

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:22 AM   #12

stowaway7 wrote:
Quote:
Cameta has so far provided me with two E-1 bodies, a 14-54 and 40-150 lens and an SHLD-2 power grip.All seamless transactions. You can actually call and get someone knowledgeable there, and while they will suggest add-on's with your purchase there's no hard-sell. Shipping has always be fast (my second E-1 arrives today if UPS does it's thing!).

With regard to the previously discussed 3 focus points...I'll take one as long as it's accurate (My E-1 has been set to center-point from day one).

I have delt with Cameta and found them fast and efficient.

As for focus points I agree. I have turned off all but the centre point in my camera for the simple reason that after nearly 30 years of cameras which you focus in the centre and then recompose why change now. I found all the focus points and lights too distracting anyway.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:11 PM   #13

Flynn-

I am a professional DSLR instructor. I do a variety of workshops, but by far the most popular workshop is "An Introduction to Consumer Level DSLR Cameras." As you might guess, I own, and actively use, all the current crop of Consumer level DSLR cameras except the new Canon 400D/XTi which is not yet available on my dealer's shelves.

Eighteen months ago, if you had asked, I would have said the Anti-Shake (the KM term) or Shake Reduction (the Pentax term) was a non issue. However, after using both the KM 5D and the Pentax K100D forseveral thousand images each, I must change that answer dramatically. IS, AS, or SR does make a huge difference in day to day usage of DSLR cameras.

The dual lens Olympus E-500 kit is a really value packed package, there is no doubt about that. However, the Pentax K100D does offer two very measurable differences that are NOT found on the E-500:

(a) A much wider Dynamic Range than the E-500.

(b) Shake Reduction

Arethose differencesworth an about $200 to $230 difference? That is up to you. For somebody like me, who shoots photos as a business and also teaches, there is not one single doubt. It is worth the price difference . Those features will pay measurable dividends each day you use your Pentax K100D DSLR camera.

Finally, I will draw your attention to the fact that the Pentax K100D is the fastest selling camera in Pentax's history. They literally cannot produce them fast enough to keep up with the world wide market.

Least you wonder about my Olympus experience, I own and regularly use both the E-300 and the E-500 models.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:40 PM   #14

I'll add another vote for the K100D. The feature set is pretty nice and SR is a wonderful feature. The dynamic range and low light performance is very nice (I think it's the best out there for the price). One final vote for Pentax is the fact that you can mount practically any Pentax lens ever made (even the screw mounts with a cheap adapter). Do a quick search on eBay and you'll find hundreds of lenses for sale at anytime, for a wide range of prices. The quality of Pentax lenses is also well recognized, so you're getting good, cheap lenses. After all, it's really the lens that makes the picture. The camera is just the box to capture the light. The lens shapes it the way you want it.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:41 PM   #15

There is a Pentax dual lense kit available for $800US at

http://www.berger-bros.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PEN19029 &Category_Code=PENTAX&Product_Count=10

The lenses are the 18-55mm zoom and the 50-200mm zoom both Pentax

Note - I have not checked in to berger-bros.com, just saw the price during my search
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:40 PM   #16

Also remember about the you are also buying into the lens options. Im not sure about how many lenses are there for the oly but the k100d can use all k-mount lenses plsuy m42 screwmounts with a m42-k adaptor. But what ever you choose all cameras these days are great. No matter what you choose i think you will be happy. Personally i prefer the k100d but its your choice in the end. Happy shooting:|
hoodsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:09 AM   #17

Code:
low light performance is very nice (I think it's the best out there for the price).
Do you think that the Pentax K100D can still hold its low light performance title at the Nikon D50's level without the SR feature?

This is going to task on the K100D's high ISO quality. (Expecially the ISO 1600 quality where the D50 is very good).
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:26 PM   #18

Because I own and useboth the Nikon D-50 and the Pentax K100D extensively, I can tell you with certainty that the K100D outperforms and beats the D-50 rather handily at ISO 1600.

MT
Old Aug 27, 2006, 4:59 PM   #19

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Because I own and useboth the Nikon D-50 and the Pentax K100D extensively, I can tell you with certainty that the K100D outperforms and beats the D-50 rather handily at ISO 1600.

MT
And this is first hand experience, not just reviews.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:03 AM   #20

Well, Mr. Flynn-

The next move is up to you. i would suggest a good look at the Pentax K100D.

MT