Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:37 AM   #61

TDN, I have already selected my camera and it is going to be a dSLR for your information. The model of the dSLRis going tobe the K100D model from Pentax.

The reason why I have selected the Pentax K100D dSLR is because it has fully usable ISO 200 - 3200 as far as I can see from a detailed review I have just read a little while ago. The second reason comes as a bonus and it was not originally located in my criteria list;

It is the shake reduction/anti-shake feature or rather the gyro sensors. I observed that it is a highly regarded feature in the review. This feature should be helping me in the lower lighting conditions coupled with the high ISO performance as far as I can see.

Thirdly, it is the bigger and brighter pentamirror viewfinder with 96% field of view coverage as stated by Pentax; it should be better than the one on the Nikon D70, D70s, D50, and the Canon EOS 350D/400D. 11 focus points also looks like a bonus and better compared to the rest. However, I wish it has the Pentaprism TTL viewfinder of the Samsung GX-1S dSLR. Overall, not a bad Pentamirror viewfinder at all with 0.85x magnification.

Finally, it has a 210,000 pixel 2.5" TFT LCD to complete the cycle. (I am usually very particular about the resolution of the main LCDsof the dSLRs)

It it wasn't because of the review, I wouldn't have been so convinced.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:49 AM   #62

Quote:
The reason why I have selected the Pentax K100D dSLR is because it has fully usable ISO 200 - 3200 as far as I can see from a detailed review I have just read a little while ago.
Could you please post link to that review?
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 6:52 AM   #63

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Code:
Those reviews and tests are subjective.
Quote:

Tell me how they are subjective. (I meant the test).
Code:
Think of it this way. These tests are comparing camera bodies. However, so much more goes into the final image...as I said, the lens (ALL lenses are different, even theough focal length and other specs are the same) and the cameras have many different settings (none of which are EXACTLY the same). Because there are so many variables, it is completely impossible to without question come to a definitve conclusion across the board. Sure you can make a conclusion for that specific test, but to accurately compare you'd need to make millions of tests to "pick a winner" So yes, these results can be important, and can get you started, but I wouldn't give advice based on these tests .

You can't do reasonable comparisons because there are too many variables that go into the final image, many of which have little to do with the camera body itself (the lens, post work, even the monitor YOU are using to read/look at the review).
Quote:

So you think those reviewersuses different monitors throughout thetest???
I'm not referring to reviewers...read my post again...I'm referring to the person READING the review/veiwing the test images. Is your monitor calibrated?? If not, you are viewing images that may or may not be accurately displayed. I'm willing to bet most newbies (including yourself) are working with uncalibrated monitors which will skew the interpretation of the images, espcially concerning color and white balance.
Quote:
They also uses standard 50 mm prime lenses for testing out dSLRs. (Stopped down to the optimal sharpness values).
Which are different for each lens, which create slightly different results because of the change in aperature value. Also, every lens is created differently, and is different. Also, how many folks are using a 50mm prime as their main lens...not many. Most are using a consumer grade zoom and not always stopped to optimal sharpness. They are also not viewing the final images through a loupe to completely disect the image critically.

Quote:
No matter what, the review will always be the first to provide me with the initial first impression of the camera. I will always start with dpreview, then imaging resource, and so on.

Imagine coming across a review that states some issues with a camera (It can be anything), don't you think that itwill beworth noting the issue?

Reviews are nonetheless; very helpful. (At least to me).
THis is true, they are a good starting point. But they are not the ending point, and I certainly wouldn't give advice on a subject soley based on reviews.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:00 AM   #64

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
TDN, I have already selected my camera and it is going to be a dSLR for your information. The model of the dSLRis going tobe the K100D model from Pentax.

The reason why I have selected the Pentax K100D dSLR is because it has fully usable ISO 200 - 3200 as far as I can see from a detailed review I have just read a little while ago. The second reason comes as a bonus and it was not originally located in my criteria list;

It is the shake reduction/anti-shake feature or rather the gyro sensors. I observed that it is a highly regarded feature in the review. This feature should be helping me in the lower lighting conditions coupled with the high ISO performance as far as I can see.

Thirdly, it is the bigger and brighter pentamirror viewfinder with 96% field of view coverage as stated by Pentax; it should be better than the one on the Nikon D70, D70s, D50, and the Canon EOS 350D/400D. 11 focus points also looks like a bonus and better compared to the rest. However, I wish it has the Pentaprism TTL viewfinder of the Samsung GX-1S dSLR. Overall, not a bad Pentamirror viewfinder at all with 0.85x magnification.

Finally, it has a 210,000 pixel 2.5" TFT LCD to complete the cycle. (I am usually very particular about the resolution of the main LCDsof the dSLRs)

It it wasn't because of the review, I wouldn't have been so convinced.
You've changed you mind again:?. Hopefully this will be the end. Although, I'd caution you (I'll do it even though I know you won't listen) to HANDLE the camera before settling on a final choice.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:33 AM   #65

I think it is highly unlikely that I can change my mind again after reading the detailedreview. Somehow a review puts a kind of trust in me.

Regarding my monitor, don't you think that (Even with a non-calibrated monitor), I should style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"still be able to compare the results as relative?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp

Code:
Which are different for each lens, which create slightly different results because of the change in aperature value. Also, every lens is created differently, and is different. Also, how many folks are using a 50mm prime as their main lens...not many. Most are using a consumer grade zoom and not always stopped to optimal sharpness. They are also not viewing the final images through a loupe to completely disect the image critically.
I think they want to compare the image sensors of the dSLRs. So they might need a base to build upon such as a standard 50 mm prime etc...I remember that dpreview always selects the best aperturefor each and individual 50 mm prime lenses with their respective dSLRs.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page20.asp

Code:
Aspect ratio advantage, aperture used 
The E-500's aspect ratio difference (4:3 vs. the film normal 3:2) it gets an added vertical resolution advantage over other cameras, because as with all of our comparisons the scene is framed vertically. Note that we selected F6.3 on the Olympus as we have found this to be the optimum aperture for lens sharpness.

I know all dSLRs are great and the differences are little, but I just find it interesting to read reviews.

ExtensivePentax K100D review>>>

http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...cle_1154.shtml

Nice preview>>>

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K100D/K100DA.HTM

Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:29 AM   #66

Benjamin,

Whew! Ok...now go out and take some pictures and come back and let us take a look at them! Lets go! Engage! Engage!

randypamjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:04 AM   #67

[align=center]OK everybody.... hold still, smile and say cheeeeeezzzzzzz.[/align]
[align=center]:|[/align]
[align=center][/align]
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:08 PM   #68

By the way, the review at e-fotografija.com seems really decent, at least the person who wrote it seems to know something about photography :]
Verloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:51 AM   #69

You all might be interested to know that there is another review of the Pentax K100D dSLR>>> (www.dcresource.com)

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pentax/k100d-review/

Old Sep 2, 2006, 2:55 AM   #70

Oh, finally!
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote