Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:40 AM   #11

http://cweb.canon.jp/ef/lineup/tele_..._is/index.html┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/kissdx/index.html┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*integrated cleaning system┬* ┬*┬* ┬*cool!
Luff Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:56 AM   #12

Wow! The XTi looks like an incredible camera. I don't fully understand the whole dust thing though. What's that all about?
doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:17 AM   #13

static particle neuturalized LP with ultrasonic vibration unit┬* ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*something like that┬*
Luff Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:36 AM   #14

Well, Canon has upped the ante again. They now have 10MP (like Sony and Nikon), a dust shaker (like Sony and Olympus), an anti static surface on the sensor (like no-one I can recall) and they map out dust on the sensor (like the very high end digital backs used in medium format).All for $100 less than the XT!!!The only thing missing is built in image stabilization (like Sony and Pentax), but seeing Canon's direction here I wouldn't be surprized to see a new series of low cost IS lenses in the near future. I guess I will have to learn how to hold on to one of these.:?

Well, the bar has been raised, 10MP is now the norm, Sony, Nikon and Canon are now truly in a marketing brawl.

My little 6MP Pentax will do just fine for now, but in a couple of years, when round 4 or 5 begins, it should prove to be a real headache making a choice for its replacement.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:46 AM   #15

The Sony A100 is the other dSLR with the anti-static coating on the CCD.

The Canon EOS 400D (Rebel XTi) has an anti-static low pass filter with primary concerns about dust.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:57 AM   #16

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Well, Canon has upped the ante again. They now have 10MP (like Sony and Nikon), a dust shaker (like Sony and Olympus), an anti static surface on the sensor (like no-one I can recall) and they map out dust on the sensor (like the very high end digital backs used in medium format).All for $100 less than the XT!!!The only thing missing is built in image stabilization (like Sony and Pentax), but seeing Canon's direction here I wouldn't be surprized to see a new series of low cost IS lenses in the near future. I guess I will have to learn how to hold on to one of these.:?

Well, the bar has been raised, 10MP is now the norm, Sony, Nikon and Canon are now truly in a marketing brawl.

My little 6MP Pentax will do just fine for now, but in a couple of years, when round 4 or 5 begins, it should prove to be a real headache making a choice for its replacement.

Ira
10 MP may becoming the norm, but most of the 6MP KM owners who have jumped into the Sony, prefer their old camera with less noise. That's the trouble with pumpingmore pixels in a sensor designed for 6MP. The higher resolution is nice, but you bring more noise into the picture. I believe the reason they left offthe 3200 ISO setting off theSony was that the extra noise was intolerable and they felt it would hurt sales.

Sonymight have been better bumping the sensors to 8MP as a happy medium or left well enough alone, instead designing a camera based on marketing needs to increase sales. Unfortunately, in order to compete, that is the name of the game because when you come down to it, the average first time buyer will perceive that more is better.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:19 AM   #17

imaging-resource has some interesting presentation of the new Digital Rebel XTi>>>

I will be following it: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1156413824.html

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:53 AM   #18

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
10 MP may becoming the norm, but most of the 6MP KM owners who have jumped into the Sony, prefer their old camera with less noise. That's the trouble with pumpingmore pixels in a sensor designed for 6MP. The higher resolution is nice, but you bring more noise into the picture. I believe the reason they left offthe 3200 ISO setting off theSony was that the extra noise was intolerable and they felt it would hurt sales.

Sonymight have been better bumping the sensors to 8MP as a happy medium or left well enough alone, instead designing a camera based on marketing needs to increase sales. Unfortunately, in order to compete, that is the name of the game because when you come down to it, the average first time buyer will perceive that more is better.
I agree completely, but it comes down to something I have said before. Marketing is aimed at the lowest common denominator, the simplest quantitative specifications to attract a buyer. New users have it ingrained in them that they always NEED more megapixels, that is why the p&s market is booming, people upgrade every time another 2 is added to the MP count.I am not a big advocate of more MP. In fact I have seen some cameras having lower image quality because of more MP (more noise etc.). However marketing is a big issue, a company that cannot sell its product will not survive. Those of us with lots of photographic experience are probably quite happy with 6MP because we are getting images as good as we got with 35mm, up to about 16"X20" (which many would argue was a stretch for 35mm as well). And the high ISO shots leave most film in the dust.

The sad fact is that the consumer end of the market will always sufferfrom this malady since technology will always manage to squeeze out that extra few pixels to put on the ads. That is why the p&s cameras almost always have the MP count printed right on the camera, bragging rights. Sony is a company with a lot to gain from this mentality because they make sensors for so many other camera manufacturers (including the p&s chips for Canon and almost everything for Nikon).

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote