Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:32 AM   #1

I need some help with this one. I was all set on getting a 350D or a 30D and then Nikon comes out with this new camera that looks pretty good. I'm not a professional photographer, but I grew up with a dark room in my house and have been taking pictures as long as I can remember.

I'll be using the camera to take senic shots, portraits, and some sports shots. I travel enough and to some cool places that a simple point and shoot doesn't get the job done. I can spend about $1400 if I need to, but would love some input in which one to get.

I usually research big purchases to death, to the more feedback, the better.

Thanks
doubleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:58 PM   #2

Forget the 350D, compare the 30D and the D80 (when there are reviews to compare. Why do I drop the 350D, based purely on how it feels in your hand, unless you have very small hands the 350D is uncomfortable.

So let the Nikon vs. Canon rumble begin. You should get some interesting responses. I liked the 20D and the D70 so I have no clear preference for the Nikon D80 or the Canon 30D, just get the one that best fits your hands, your budget and your shooting style.

BTW I am impartial since I own a Pentax.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the input Ira. My problem is that I've used a D70s to do a wedding recently and thought it felt and worked great. I've also used a 20D to do some work in the past as well. Now that 30D and the D80 are out, I'm stuck.

So why do you like the pentax?

Matt
Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:52 PM   #4

http://infodigitalcamera.blogspot.com/2006/08/canon-400d-rebel-xt.html¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*How¬* about 400D+70-200F4 USM IS ?
Luff Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 2:23 PM   #5

That link took me no where, but hey, thanks for trying!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 3:43 PM   #6

http://infodigitalcamera.blogspot.co...-rebel-xt.html

Try it now, I noticed the word How was attached to the link.

doubleA (Matt) :

Why Pentax, well I have used Pentax cameras since the early 1980s. They are inexpensive, very sturdy and reliable and have kept lens compatability right on through. This is of course my first reason, my 50mm f1.7, 135mm f2.8, 28mm f2.8 and 70-210mm f4 zoom all work with my new digital.

Second reason - My *istDL uses cheap to buy AA NiMH batteries, I carry three sets and a 15 minute charger with a total investment of only about the cost of one Li-ion proprietary battery and a few coffee. I know the battery technology is not as good but it is universal, a set of AA alkaline batteries can get me a few shots in a pinch and two CRV3 lithium cells in the camera bag will last for a very long time as an emergency backup.

Third reason - lots of features at a low price in a very comfortable package. I have spot metering, mirror lockup, interchangeable focus screens and both wired and wireless remote options at an entry level price. The only trade off is a small image buffer means small bursts at 2.8fps, only 5 jpeg or 3 RAW before it slows down. I seldom shoot action so no big deal.

I don't make a point of pushing Pentax equipment for two reasons, most people want to see an upgrade path (even though few actually take it) and the big two offer pro equipment for those people to at least drool over. Second reason is that Pentax is right for me but not necessarily for everyone. All the current dSLRs can be accused of rediculously good image quality, but some are faster, some have better high ISO performance, some have specific lenses that a user may need. That is why I did not try to sell you on Pentax, I merely stated that that was what I used, and now you know why.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:48 PM   #7

Your decision may get more difficult. In the next couple weeks Canon will be anouncing their products for the Photokina show in September. There is rampant speculation a replacement for the 350 will be announced. Maybe, maybe not - but it may be worth waiting 2 weeks to see. Yes, there is always another camera around the corner - but this corner is close. No one really knows what canon will do - they're very good at keeping things under wraps but if you don't need a camera in the next month it might be worth waiting to see. If nothing else - a new release may drop prices on current models.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:59 PM   #8
Administrator

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
... they're very good at keeping things under wraps.
Sorry, but I just had to do this when I saw that comment.

:lol: :lol: :lol::lol:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:12 PM   #9

That's cool...I'm not looking to buy for a month or two. I'll gladly wait. So what do you guys think...NIKON OR CANON...AND WHY?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:32 AM   #10

TodayCANONhad OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED the new EOS Digital Rebel XTi!

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#rebelxti

Supersonic vibration with anti-static materials and dust graph!

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3370
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote