Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 23, 2006, 1:56 PM   #1

Trying to find out which camera will give me the most versibility when it comes to wide angle shooting and long range. Haven't been able to locate a camera that will shoot wide angle equiv of 28mm and also zoom up to 8-10 power. Looks like there is no camera that will cover that range without going SLR and have to change lenes. Thanks in advance for comments. glenn:?
glennj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 9:59 PM   #2

There is the Fuji FinePix S9000 and the soon-to-be-released S6000fd. They both have 28-300mm lenses. They look like DSLR's but their lenses are fixed.

A better choice might be to go for an entry level DSLR, body only, and purchase a separate "ultra-zoom" lens, e.g. the Nikon D50 and the 18-200mm DX (equivalent to 27-300mm in 35mm format) lens. You'd get better image quality, and a camera system that wouldgive youroom to grow.

Stephanie
sjseto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 12:31 PM   #3

I like Stephanie's suggestion. Though, I would use the Pentax K100D body as my DSLR body of choice rather than the Nikon D-50. I own and use both the Pentax K100D and the Nikon D-50.

The K100 is the clear winner due to its Shake Reduction feature and much wider Dynamic Range. You really have to use a camera with IS to appreciate what it can do for your photos. The difference is amazing.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 2:56 PM   #4

Hope this works. Here is a site about auxiliary lenses you can buy for Fuji. I have the S5200 and love it. Not ready for all that comes with the DSLR but I can get the lenses for my Fuji. You may want to have a look.

http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/s5600/index.htm

Shari
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:59 AM   #5

Code:
I like Stephanie's suggestion. Though, I would use the Pentax K100D body as my DSLR body of choice rather than the Nikon D-50. I own and use both the Pentax K100D and the Nikon D-50.

The K100 is the clear winner due to its Shake Reduction feature and much wider Dynamic Range. You really have to use a camera with IS to appreciate what it can do for your photos. The difference is amazing.

MT
Tell me how you discovered that the Pentax K100D dSLR have a greater dynamic range than the Nikon D50 dSLR?

I ask this because you always seems to glorify the Pentax K100D in this forum. (No harm intended).
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:30 AM   #6

Mr. KL-

If you are really into the post processing of your of your photos in PhotoShop, particularly the CS2 version all you have to is to see itdisplayed in graphic form in the histogram. It is very easy to see and to actually measure.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote