Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1

I am by no means a professional photagrapher, but am looking for a good "ultra-compact" camera. There are a few things that are important to me.

First, I would like it to be small, light and easy to take anywhere. Second, I would like it to be at least decent in low light, as I take a lot of shots in restaurants, etc. Third, I really prefer it to have some sort of anti-shake or image stabilization feature.

Picture quality is obviously important to me as well, but I will not be printing out large prints. Very rarely will I print something larger than 4X6 (and most the time the images just stay on my computer). With that in mind, what camera would everyone recommend? Again, ultra compact size, low light performance and anti-shake or IS are important to me.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Marbury021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:34 PM   #2

Anyone?

Some cameras I've looked at: Casio EX-Z60, Casio EX-Z600, Sony DSC-T9, Canon SD700IS, Casio EX-Z850, Casio EX-Z1000.

Some other considerations... I don't want to have to make manual adjustments. I'm definitely more of a point and shooter. The reason I want anti-shake or IS is for my hand movement... I've had problems when I zoom.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Marbury021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:45 PM   #3

Marbury021 wrote:
Quote:
Second, I would like it to be at least decent in low light, as I take a lot of shots in restaurants, etc. Third, I really prefer it to have some sort of anti-shake or image stabilization feature.

I think there are starting to be more cameras out now with an image-stabilzation feature. Panasonic, Canon, and Pentax come to mind and there are probably more.

However, the BIG limiting factor is your low-light requirement. I don't think you'll get that in any P&S, simply because the sensor is so small. Fuji seems to have the best performance in that arena. Since you're limiting your prints to 4x6, you may not notice the noise. However, if you go much larger, the noise will really affect the image.

Good luck!
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2006, 1:19 AM   #4

IS is better than anti-shake. The Casio's got horrible reviews for their use of anti-shake. The Fuji's use a higher ISO and do a pretty decent job for low light.
KALEL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:14 AM   #5

With the criteria you've described, my first choice would be the SD700IS.

The Casio ultra compacts are popular and seem to be good values, but where they fall short a bit is in low light/high ISO performance. I don't think any have the optical image stabilization.

The Sony's are pretty comparable to the Canon's generally, and at the moment some seem to be a bit better value. The T9 has similar features to the SD700IS, and I also think it's a bit more stylish.

But the SD700 also has an optical viewfinder, and uses the less expensive SD memory cards. If you buy more than one memory card, you might find the Canon to be more economical after all.

Either the T9 or SD700 will decent ISO performance up to ISO400 for your print sizes, and both have optical image stabilization.
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote