Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Wich camera is the best entry slr camera.???
Canon 400D 7 25.93%
Nikon 80D 13 48.15%
Sony Alpha 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:44 AM   #11

A test of the Sony Alpha by Popular Photography said that it has better image quality than anything under $1000.00, and that the wide angle kit lens is optically better than most kit lenses out there. (Faint praise?)

But, they found the noise at ISO 1600 to be unacceptable. They also pointed out that with the integrated IS you might not ever need to shoot at 1600 anyway. Personally, I think that if a camera offers a certain feature, it should function well enough so as to be actually useful to the photographer rather than just to the manufacturers marketing department.

The body is plastic -- even the lens mount on the kit lens is plastic! And you can bet that the seals are not all that good, either.

The Carl Zeiss lenses due out for the camera will likely not have plastic mounts.

Rob Sheppard shot with this camera early this Summer and said that it produced excellent color and tonality. He also said that he used the D-Range Optimizer continuously and got great dynamic range in his shots.

As they say, though, the proof is in the pudding. We'll have to wait for more tests to be run and for average photo enthusiasts to report their findings.

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:58 AM   #12

Seems like the Sony A100 dSLR is currently the only one out there with both combo's;

Dust buster + Anti shake Wherebout everyone is either talking about the AS feature or the dust feature! :-)Now the new EOS-400D with the anti-static coating and viewfinder sensor; the A100 dSLR also hasboth too! :-)

Now which company offers a 2.5"230,000 pixels LCD with the anti-reflective coating and advance dynamic range optimizer feature? :O

Make it easy: Which company offerseverything above in one dSLR? :G

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:08 AM   #13

Quote:
The D80 is a bit above entry level...the D50 is Nikon's entry level offering. It is impossible to pick a "winner" as the D80 and 400d are not yet available. Even when they are available, there probably won't be a clear winner. They will all probably do a good job, and the which one is best will depend on who's using it.
I agree. The D80 is a slightly different class of camera. I imagine someone who is into photojournalism or sports photography is maybe going to prefer the superior performance of the D80. A more fair comparison to the D80 would be the Canon 20D.

I think the problem here is this poster has decided they need 10MP, and so are eliminating from consideration alot of good 6-8MP options that might otherwise better fit their needs.

If you insist on 10MP, though, these are the options. Of them, I feel the D80 is likely to be the superior camera (as most of the voters in the poll have so far also chosen) but for an entry level buyer who doesn't need it's performance, there are likely better options. But alot of the minor features being highlighted here--anti-dust, anti-static--like the extra 2 MP, will be more useful for marketing purposes than for taking better pictures.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:23 AM   #14

What is the great performance thing in the D80 that puts it off from the rest???

Votes doesn't mean a thing.

Code:
going to prefer the superior performance of the D80. A more fair comparison to the D80 would be the Canon 20D.
Be specific and provide infos. In what ways the Nikon D80 is more superior in performance compared to the rest in here?

Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:24 AM   #15

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nikon is EVIL and SONY is good, Sony have been very good to me.
No actually Sony is evil.
Nikon is slightly evil too.
I guess you won't be getting the Enron 2000 either then, huh?
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:42 AM   #16

Can someone answer my questions?

I want rather crisp pictures and read in some other threads that many favor Nikons because they are sharper? Is that true?

What entry level lense would you get with a Nikon D80. I couldn't find anything compareable to the 28-135mm Canon lense for the Nikon. I wish there would be a similar VR lense. Should I consider third party lenses?

I hate being ignored
pixelwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:38 AM   #17

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
They will all probably do a good job, and the which one is best will depend on who's using it.
Funny how thats always lost on newcomers. Easy to tell who hasnt spend any quality time with an slr!

For me, there are a few things that I like and dislike about each model but those things wouldnt cause me to choose nikon over canon or others, they would cause me to buy a different model of the same brand. I'd choose the brand based on which lenses I was going to buy.

I looked at that recently because I was thinking of bailing on minolta (there are a few lenses that just arent availible right now, or because of demand are selling for 2x thier worth). It became clear that if I was happy with f/4 zooms I would be a canon guy, thier f/4L series is a great value. But given other considerations thier lineup got extrememly expensive. I might, for instance, choose nikon because of the super value of thier 80-200 f/2.8 lens ($800 vs canons $1200). The point is that stressing over the component in your system which you could recreate with some cardboard and duct tape is a little silly.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Be specific and provide infos. In what ways the Nikon D80 is more superior in performance compared to the rest in here?
Well I meant in terms of shooting performance. I was thinking they were positioning this to compete more with the 20D which does 5 fps (as does the Nikon D200). And I had seen it listed on this pricegrabber page as being capable of 6 fps:

http://dcresource.pricegrabber.com/s...terid=23760802

But now I think that is incorrect. It seems Nikon's web page is only claiming 3 fps, which would put it comparable to the Alpha or the 400D. They also claim it has a "new high performance processing chip that greatly accelerates performance on all levels"--but this seems to be more marketing hype as the actual specs are indicating performance similar to the D70s. But again, I supose we won't really know all of the details until the actual production camera is available.

On the other hand, with a list price of $999, I suspect it's actual selling price will also be comparable to the Sony. But the Canon 20D is also available for under $1000 right now, so that should probably be included in this group as well.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:50 AM   #19

i feel image stab. on the sony alpha helps alot to that could attract lots of people
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:06 AM   #20

Code:
On the other hand, with a list price of $999, I suspect it's actual selling price will also be comparable to the Sony. But the Canon 20D is also available for under $1000 right now, so that should probably be included in this group as well.
You meant the actual seling price of the Nikon D80 will be lower?

The price ofEOS-20D is a little on the high side still at about 1000 USD and it is a year 2004 camera now just discontinued!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/

Anyway, you would be better well off with the newer cameras today. They have newer more efficient technologies and features not invented last time. The EOS-20D still has the 5fps burst rate though up to 23 JPEG images. (IMO 3fps is enough for me). The A100 can shoot at 3fps continuousuntil the memory runs out.