Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Wich camera is the best entry slr camera.???
Canon 400D 7 25.93%
Nikon 80D 13 48.15%
Sony Alpha 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:30 AM   #21

luix wrote:
Quote:
So this is the new competition, all 10 mp cameras...

I want one... :?

But is too early to decided witch one...

Can we say wich is better ???

or have to wait ???

Take care people
:|

I start the poll
Since they are not all out yet, it is tuff to say which is better. In all honesty, I don't like the idea of a 10 MP sensor unless it was full frame. 6MP is adequate on the smaller DSLR sensors and if I lookingto increase MP, Iwould not want to stretch it any higher than 8 MP. Yeah if you want to make larger prints the extra resolution is nice, but you will still have the noise to go with it. How many of us really need to print extreme size prints?In the case of theSony Alpha,we are already getting complaints of too much noise. Although I believe a lot of the complaints are coming from KM owners because they are comparing it to what they own. I'm not suggesting it is not a real issue, but from the results I have seen, it is tolerable and for those raw shooters, it may just require a little processing. If the noiseis better in some of the competion is yet to be seen. Question is, how do they reduce the noise and at what cost?. For my money and until I see what the competion, Sony hasan edge in the image stabilization department since it is built in. As far as lens availiblity, there are plenty of existinglenses that will work with the Sony. My personal reason for avoiding the Sony is until they come out with a higher end version with more external controls like the KM 7D.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:56 AM   #22

It seems that this thread started out comparing the Sony Alpha A100, Nikon D80, and the Canon EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi).

Incidentally those dSLRs are also from the world greatest camera manufacturers such as CANON, NIKON, and SONY. It is funny that Minolta supposedly should be taking the third place after Canon and Nikon; but coincidentally, Sony took over Minoltaand ran together with the10 mega-pixel dSLR positions that was also being planned by Canon and Nikon.

So right here now are three 10 mega-pixel dSLRs from the three big camera manufacturers in the world. Noticed that Sony was the first with the A100, then it was Nikon with their D80, and now Canon come withthe EOS 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) right on time(As usual) for the 18 month schedule replacement scheme.

Itwas evident that in this year (2006), all the top manufacturers are going for the 10 mega-pixel race in their dSLRs. However, the Sony DSC-R1 fix lens pro with the large APS-C live view CMOS& that big C.Z. lens already had 10.8 Mega-pixels and came out last year!

It will be interesting to see how the companies reach out to their customers, addressing their needs!
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:47 AM   #23

And again...

I want rather crisp pictures and read in some other threads that many favor Nikons because they are sharper? Is that true? :P

And I just read that the Sony is compatible with the previous Minolta lenses...so you could get a third party lense for Minolta cams and still have an image stabilizer. Damn...if only it would have lower noise up to ISO800 I'd know what to buy.

And is it true that you can't use the Rebels with the Canon L series lenses? So no extender compatibility and so on?
pixelwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:14 AM   #24

pixelwhore wrote:
Quote:
I want rather crisp pictures and read in some other threads that many favor Nikons because they are sharper? Is that true?
Pure crazytalk.

Get a good lens, and gets skilled. The camera matters not.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:29 AM   #25

Code:
And again...

I want rather crisp pictures and read in some other threads that many favor Nikons because they are sharper? Is that true? :P
In the level of dSLRs or advance prosumers such as the DSC-R1, sharp images arenot a necessitybecause these type of cameras produce softer images than usual by defaults for a very good reason. Professionals or enthusiastwho selects these cameras expects a level of versatility in the captured images; they prefer to specify their own sharpness level. Image details are also not lost through hard sharpening.

So it will be irreverent to ask which dSLR produce the sharpest images considering you can always specify your own sharpness level. What you do need to look for is forthe per-pixel sharpness (crisp appearance) that each camera (dSLR)is capable of producing in their images.

Code:
And I just read that the Sony is compatible with the previous Minolta lenses...so you could get a third party lense for Minolta cams and still have an image stabilizer. Damn...if only it would have lower noise up to ISO800 I'd know what to buy.
Actually the ISO 800 is alright on the A100; it is the ISO 1600 that is noisy. Don't forget that the SR or AS can compensate for higher ISOs.

Code:
And is it true that you can't use the Rebels with the Canon L series lenses? So no extender compatibility and so on?
Yes you can. Just make sure you get the ones with the 35 mm circle if you wish to upgrade to thefull frame dSLRs later on.

Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:34 AM   #26

Benjamin-

Please help us out won't you? When are you going to decide which DSLR camera you will purchase. You don't even own a DSLR yet.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:41 AM   #27

Code:
Benjamin-

Please help us out won't you? When are you going to decide which DSLR camera you will purchase. You don't even own a DSLR yet.

MT
I know I don't owned a dSLR yet, but that does not mean I do not have enough knowledge to give advice in here. Eventually I will be getting my dSLR (but that won't make me a smarter person altogether).
Old Aug 31, 2006, 11:52 AM   #28
NHL

... You guys forgot the Pentax K100D :idea:

-> It's the most inexpensive
and it comes with IS built-in ... but I voted for the Sony anyway (see MPixels sales) :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:01 PM   #29

Look at this!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 12:05 PM   #30

NHL wrote:
Quote:
... You guys forgot the Pentax K100D :idea:

-> It's the most inexpensive
and it comes with IS built-in :-)

True dat! I voted with my wallet and chose the K100D.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote