Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Wich camera is the best entry slr camera.???
Canon 400D 7 25.93%
Nikon 80D 13 48.15%
Sony Alpha 7 25.93%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:15 PM   #31

Benjamin..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I hope you don´t think of me rudely if I ask you..... :"What kind of camera experience do you actuallyhave?"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"having read your massive amount of posts lately, this is the only question that comes to my mind.
monx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:38 PM   #32

1. D80 isn't entry level DSLR, entry level is D50.
3. Canon's entry level still is 350D.
2. α100 pricewise also not really entry level DSLR. Well, it's Sony entry level, let's say it is OK.
3. Neither Nikon D80 nor Canon 400D isn't out yet.
4. Where Pentax K100D?
5. Where's Olympus?

In my opinion *at the moment* the best entry level DSLR is K100D.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:12 PM   #33

Benjamin-

Most folks will not post this, but I will.Until you have REAL, hands on, actual shooting experience with any DSLR camera, I personally believe that you had better lessen your adamant recommendations and judgementsof DSLR cameras, that you have most probably, never touched, not alone having the experience of taking 500+ shots with.

Experience counts here in this forum.You tend to "preach" to all of us about various cameras based only on what you have read, or heard by rumor, the grapevine, or something else. Can you at least do us all a favor, and knock off the preaching, the voluminous text, and many references that mean nothing.

Just post DSLR sample photos from now on to support your assorted views. Is that asking too much. The bumbling University professor according to Benjamin.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:49 PM   #34

The Sony Alpha A100
18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 27-105mm)

I played with it at the store. It's too heavyand uncomfortable
to hold as the grip is too small. I didnt like the placement of the
shutter button. I think they jammed too many features and controls
on that sucker and dumped it on the market for $999to compete
with the Canon xT, Nikon D50, Olympus Evolt-500.

By looks alone, considering all the buttons, controls, etc. it's more
of a value than even the Canon 30D.

Canon xT is a toy compared to the Sony Alpha; Nikon D50 was
the most comfortable to hold. If you got large hands, get the Nikon.
You get a bigger lens with the Olympus though for $300 less.

However, I am getting the Lumix FZ50.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:51 PM   #35

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Benjamin-

Most folks will not post this, but I will.Until you have REAL, hands on, actual shooting experience with any DSLR camera, I personally believe that you had better lessen your adamant recommendations and judgementsof DSLR cameras, that you have most probably, never touched, not alone having the experience of taking 500+ shots with.

Experience counts here in this forum.You tend to "preach" to all of us about various cameras based only on what you have read, or heard by rumor, the grapevine, or something else. Can you at least do us all a favor, and knock off the preaching, the voluminous text, and many references that mean nothing.

Just post DSLR sample photos from now on to support your assorted views. Is that asking too much. The bumbling University professor according to Benjamin.

MT
MT,

I'm glad someone else is in agreement.....I've posted the same thing into another long winded, going nowhere thread. The last couple of weeks have been a bombardment of tests, and comparisons that have only served to muddy the water and make buying decisions more difficult.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:02 PM   #36

rjseeney-

It just came to a point where I thought that somebody experienced should speakup rather directly. We have be polite, but none the less, pushed around a lot. You know and I know that any of the consumer DSLR cameras will to a great job. Why let a a lot of newbies be hood winked by ken, oops I meant to say, Benjamin.

There are lots of good cameras out there. The challnge is really learning how to use those cameras well. Are you really listening? It is the skill of the photographer, not necessarily the make or model of the camera, that makes the REAL difference.

MT
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:43 PM   #37

romphotg-

Yes, the Sony A-100 is interesting. But until it gets rid of its nosey CMOS imager, and other features that do not consistently work right, it will will remain a "work in progress."

Perhaps the Pentax K10D will appear witha SAMSUNG CMOS imager. That would change everything, if it has better dynamic range and LESS noise. than that Sony CMOS imager.

MT
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:53 PM   #38

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney-

It just came to a point where I thought that somebody experienced should speakup rather directly. We have be polite, but none the less, pushed around a lot. You know and I know that any of the consumer DSLR cameras will to a great job. Why let a a lot of newbies be hood winked by ken, oops I meant to say, Benjamin.

There are lots of good cameras out there. The challnge is really learning how to use those cameras well. Are you really listening? It is the skill of the photographer, not necessarily the make or model of the camera, that makes the REAL difference.

MT
I have said it before, and PMed him about it. A lot of "web-learning" with no practical point of reference makes for annoyance, not information.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:29 PM   #39

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
The Sony Alpha A100
18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (35mm equivalent focal length: 27-105mm)

I played with it at the store. It's too heavyand uncomfortable
to hold as the grip is too small. I didnt like the placement of the
shutter button. I think they jammed too many features and controls
on that sucker and dumped it on the market for $999to compete
with the Canon xT, Nikon D50, Olympus Evolt-500.
Quote:
Just to clear the air....Sony didn't dump anything on the market. That basic design layout is the same as its predeceesor, the KM 5D, which is known for it's ergonomics. Because its10 Megapixel and almost 1000 dollars, I don't believe they are in direct competion with two of the models you mention. Just because it doesn't fit your hands doen't mean evryone should get the Nikon. Fact is there are plenty of large handed people happy with the gripof the KM/Sony. The gripdoes make people with larger hands wish for more pinky room, but you can't have everything in a compact DSLR. It is also not considered a heavy camera... maybe in comparison to theCanon xt.Level of comfort in a camera is a personal choice and I give you credit for checking them all out. That doesn't mean what you like is good for the next person. I own a KM 7D, larger and heavier than the Sony and I find it very comfortable despite having small hands. Does that mean everyone with small hands should run out and get one? Of course not.
Quote:

By looks alone, considering all the buttons, controls, etc. it's more
of a value than even the Canon 30D.

Quote:
Buttons and controls have little or nothing to do with value. In fact, that usually just means different or multiple ways to access features and settings. If you think the Sony has a lot of buttons, its big half brother theKM 7D has twice as many controls as the Sony, yet most everything youcan do or change can be done with fewer buttons. The typical purchaser of a camera like the XT or even the Sony wants a smallerso space is at a premium. Also that type purchaser is usually intimadted by the amount of controls. OK, so if most the features can be done with less buttons, why have more? Its because people that buy those cameras want to access things faster than using a menu driven system because it sometimes means the differnce between getting a shot and not getting it. Theyh also like the flexibilty of progamming the butons for other functions or customizing their own preprogrammed scene settings. Its all about flexibilty.
Quote:
Quote:
Many Canon XT owners don't think it's a toy. It just happens to be lightweight and it is by design. Not because they tried to make cheap. Its what a typical entry level consumer prefers. You have to give the R&D and market research people some credit. They know what people want at differnt market levels. Canon is good at that. Just look at all the choices.
Quote:

Quote:
Good luck with the FZ50. It's noise level is better than the FZ30, but don't expect miracles in low light.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:54 PM   #40

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
rjseeney-

MT
I have said it before, and PMed him about it. A lot of "web-learning" with no practical point of reference makes for annoyance, not information.

Ira
I too am tired of all the opinions suddenly becoming end all advice and fact around here. It's getting to the point of mass confusion. I really feel sorry for a person coming into a thread like this only expecting reasonable advice and guidance.

Instead theyare being toldwhat to buy and sometimes theirindividual wants and needs haven't even been established.Do some of these people giving curt advice realize the ramifications of telling someone directly what to get and it not working out for them. While it's no tragedy for most, I'll bet some people aren't in the financial position to buy a mistake.

I have no problem with someone giving strong recommendations to someone after the person looking for information makes clear what they are looking for, but to just tell buy the XRZ007Cobra1000 because they happen to think it is the best thing since sliced bread is just plain wrong and negligent. Sometimes it happens immoderately after the personasks what is the best camera? The worst part is when it comes from someone who has barelylearned to use a camera.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote