Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 25, 2006, 7:03 PM   #1

Hi! Obviously, I'm after a new camera. I used to have a Cannon EOS Rebel and I have 4 lenses, so I'm likely to stay with Cannon. I also, of course, want the best camera for me while spending the least amount of money! :-)

What I'm after:
SLR
Macro capabilities
some ability to take a few pics per second
ease of camera-computer interface
fully auto / fully manual (so I can take pics while learning how to take photographs!)
decent range of focus (although I know what it means, I still don't know how to take pictures this way!)
flash (auto/manual)
a camera I can grow my knowledge with

I only need the body (with battery and memory), since I already have lenses, but I'll also need an extra battery and memory, I'm guessing...

I've been compairing, but the descriptions are beyond my camera knowledge, so I'm fully confused.
pdxWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 1:45 PM   #2

So, no advice on which Canon would be good for me? I guess I'll give it a couple more days and then move on to a different forum. :-(
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:28 PM   #3

The Digital Rebel XT has come down a lot in price. Some people think it's too small. Others don't like the build quality, but for the money, its image quality is hard to beat.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:38 PM   #4

The D Rebel XTi has just been announced...looks good on paper:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...belxti_pr.html
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:40 PM   #5

You might find more Canon DSLR owners in the Canon DSLR forum:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=37

I guess your choices if you want an entry level Canon DSLR would be limited to the 350D (Rebel XT) or the just announced 400D (Rebel XTi). The Rebel XT is one of the more popular DSRL models, and the biggest complaint I've heard is that some people (especially with larger hands) find the grip too small. So you'd want to see how it feels.

Otherwise you cuold look also at the pricier 30D, but I think an entry level model will probably do all of what you want. I think the 350D will do 3fps, while the 30D will do 5fps. Everything else you mentioned you can probably do pretty well with any entry level DSLR. But you'll want to hear that from someone who knows more than me.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the info on the XTi and it sounds good -- and in my price range. Thanks for the info on grip size. I do, in fact, have large hands, so I'll definitely get "hands-on" before I buy.