Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2006, 7:50 AM   #11

Thanks, meanstreak. That's all great info. The return policy is also something to think about. Where I live, 99% of the time if I want a good deal on anything, it means buying on-line. I can find some great prices, but it's not like returning something to Wal-Mart if I don't like it. You wanna hear the real kicker? There is currently a $100 rebate on the Fuji S9000. But it's only good for another 3 days, and I'm not ready to buy yet.:angry:
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:03 AM   #12

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Thanks, meanstreak. That's all great info. The return policy is also something to think about. Where I live, 99% of the time if I want a good deal on anything, it means buying on-line. I can find some great prices, but it's not like returning something to Wal-Mart if I don't like it. You wanna hear the real kicker? There is currently a $100 rebate on the Fuji S9000. But it's only good for another 3 days, and I'm not ready to buy yet.:angry:
If you are going to wait and the Fuji is a contender than try and wait for the S6000. I doubt there will be a rebate on that though.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:33 AM   #13

What do you think will be the advantage of the S6000? The S9000 already has a 10.7X zoom. After checking out the Fuji website, it looks like the 6000 is lower res too. Why do you feel that this camera would be worth waiting for?
Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:01 AM   #14

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
What do you think will be the advantage of the S6000? The S9000 already has a 10.7X zoom. After checking out the Fuji website, it looks like the 6000 is lower res too. Why do you feel that this camera would be worth waiting for?
Sorry, my mistake... I was not aware that the S9000 had a 10.7 zoom. The reason I meantioned the S6000 is that in a discussion about the F30 someone mentioned the S6000was about to bereleased and it had a higher opticalzoom than the F30. I am not that familiar with the Fuji ultrazooms, since I was only interested in their compact models for shooting in low light. My basis for reccomending the Fuji line is due to their reputation of providing decent pictures in low light. When I bought my FZ30, I did not research the Fujis since one of my main feature consdierations was image stabiliztion and I ruled at anything that didn't have it. Had I known what Iknow now, I might have gone with Fuji over the Panasonic because the FZ30 is a dog when it come to low noise. I see the FZ50 is a little better but not much.

If you are interested in the Fujis, do a side by side comparison since the S6000 does have some features the S9000 doesn't and vice versa. The S6000 is less resolution, but might actually be better in low light since less pixels in the same size sensor means larger pixels. Larger pixels capture more light and improve the noise situation. That is probably why theS6000 allows you to go up3200 ISO. The S6000 technicallyhas a larger sensor, but it is not much larger. Looks like a tough choice between the two. I imagine most first time buyers will jump on the 9000 because they feel more megapixels means better pictures.

Old Aug 28, 2006, 9:42 AM   #15

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
... The S6000 is less resolution, but might actually be better in low light since less pixels in the same size sensor means larger pixels. Larger pixels capture more light and improve the noise situation.
That right there is why I love coming to places like this.....I learn so much! I didn't know that, but it makes sense. To be honest, I've actually been blown away by pics I've gotten from my current 3.1 MP camera, so I figure anything above that will be gravy.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:10 AM   #16

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
... The S6000 is less resolution, but might actually be better in low light since less pixels in the same size sensor means larger pixels. Larger pixels capture more light and improve the noise situation.
That right there is why I love coming to places like this.....I learn so much! I didn't know that, but it makes sense. To be honest, I've actually been blown away by pics I've gotten from my current 3.1 MP camera, so I figure anything above that will be gravy.
Unfortunately most manufacturerscater to pushing features that sell more units. The megapixel race is pretty much over butthey are hell bent on pushing the numbers. It's almost as if they don't care about the existing customer base and only cater to new business.Sony, Canon and some others I forgetjust released some new DSLRs with 10 megapixels. I cannot speak for the Canon, but the Sony model definitely has morenoise than the previous model which was actually a Konica Minolta with only 6 megapixels. More than adequate for most intents and purposes. More mexapixel does allow you to make larger prints, but most of us don't need that feature.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:48 AM   #17

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
....which was actually a Konica Minolta with only 6 megapixels. More than adequate for most intents and purposes. More mexapixel does allow you to make larger prints, but most of us don't need that feature.
I hear ya. The few prints I actually have made are usually 5X7 with a rare 8X10. I think I will take my time on this one. If I had the money today, I'd get the Fuji S9000 simply because it's a very close race and the $100 rebate is hard to resist. But, like I said, by the time I'm ready (probably 3 weeks) the rebate will be over. Oh well....just more time to research.

Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:34 PM   #18

ok, herewe go again with the same question that's been
axed 1000x.
My decision was made to go with the FZ30 because of the longer lens,
bigger LCD which rotates, use of SD cards as I already have them
and see no need for xD slot as _everyone_ is getting CF anyway.
And the FZ30 is $90 cheaper.

Panasonic Lumix

DMC-FZ30 - $500
1/1.8" Type CCD = 0.55
8.3mp,
SD card
35 - 420mm [12x] (+extended optical zoom)
tilt LCD
Self Timer Delay 10 sec, 2 sec
Macro mode [0.16 feet (5cm) from your subject (at the maximum wide-angle setting).
Lithium-ion battery pack

FZ50
$650
10.1mp

Tele-Conversion Lenses for the DMC-FZ30
DMW-LT55: 1.7 x 420mm = 714mm $200
TCON-17: 1.7 $100

Fuji
S9000 - $589
9mp
1/1.6" Type CCD = 0.625
ISO from 80 to 1600
28 - 300mm
xD & CF
4 AA-size batteries

Yes, the S9000 has a bigger sensor(but not by much);
A wider lens(butit aint14mm);
high ISO which no one uses;
thus the winner is the FZ30.
romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:52 AM   #19

romphotog wrote:
Quote:
Yes, the S9000 has a bigger sensor(but not by much);
A wider lens(butit aint14mm);
high ISO which no one uses;
thus the winner is the FZ30.
If no uses highISO than how are they taking pictures in less than ideal circumstances?

Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:14 AM   #20

by increasing exposure compensation, or shooting at 1/10,
or f1.

I _do not_ recommend using ISO1600 with small sensors; only
on DSLRs (even entry level such as Nikon D50 or Canon XT)
could you get low noise above ISO400.

In any case, if you feel that because of the higher ISOthe S9000
is a better choice, then you arewrong.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote