Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:44 PM   #11

Fenix-

Regarding the battery life of the AA batteries in the Pentax K100D. Just to gets some hands on experience on the issue, I put freshly cahrged batteries in My Olympus E-500, my Nikon D-50, and my K100D. The K100d actually outlasted the E-500 and was exhausted at almost exactly the same time as the K100D.

So based on my informal test, you can rest assured that the K100D has a very normal battery lifecycle.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:07 AM   #12

Recently Irevisited the K100D's gallery at dcresource site and took a look at the newly posted photos. I believe it was all took with a higher quality lens am I right?

Anyway, Iwas ratherdisappointed at the image quality. It might be the Jpegs processing engine...

Conclusion:

They just don't look good enoughfor me.

Regards.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:09 PM   #13
TDN

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Recently Irevisited the K100D's gallery at dcresource site and took a look at the newly posted photos. I believe it was all took with a higher quality lens am I right?

Anyway, Iwas ratherdisappointed at the image quality. It might be the Jpegs processing engine...

Conclusion:

Regards.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pe.../gallery.shtml

The lenses are mentioned in the above text. Most of them are taken with the (very decent) 18-55mm kit lens.

Excuse me for being surprised, but...what is wrong with those pictures?

Could you give some more detail as to what you don't like about them?

And if so, I am curious to what you expected them to be like? (perhaps post an image you find satisfactory)

As a matter of fact, except from maybe color differences I don't see what you could possibly tell froma set of sample pics for each of these cameras. They all look about the same to me.

I think some people forget that the camera is not supposed to take the pictures, they are.

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:35 PM   #14

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:

Conclusion:

Regards.

I was going to respond but realized that the only appropriate response would be no response at all. So here is my non-response.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:28 AM   #15

To be very honest;

Those images taken by the K100D (Jpegs ofcouse) looks over processed like with some fine details smudged out. It also doesn't have the per-pixel sharpness or crisp like appearance.

Code:
I am curious to what you expected them to be like? (perhaps post an image you find satisfactory)
See theshotstaken by theNikon D70sfrom the dcresource gallery below (JPEGs);

I like the natural crisp appearance of the Nikon D70sJpegimages. (If you take a look at the D70s RAW images,they arevery much more crisp and detailed than the JPEG versions.)

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni.../gallery.shtml

Here is a RAW example if you are interested>>>

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_...C_0492_NEF.jpg

Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:57 AM   #16
TDN

Ok, first of all: Those are all resized, 800x532 pictures, straight out of the camera, with automatic settings (P-mode)

There is no way you can tell anything about the camera with those samples. All they tell you is that the camera is fully functional and does not lack anything of the basics.

Now, as for your "per pixel sharpness":

As mentioned by ira and a lot of other members here, it is clear that pentax applies less sharpening in-camera than other DSLRs. Result: slightly less sharp images, but no loss of data. They leave the choice with the user.

You'll notice once you start shooting with a DSLR, that you'll always post-process your own images. Just because of the simple fact that you want them to look as good as possible.

Here's what happens when you do that:

The D70s image, which will look ± the same as one out of a D50, resized to 800x532:

Now the K100D image, straight out of the camera & resized to 800x532.

You say that looks unsharp. Very well then. Say you took this picture, then your reflex will be: "I need to sharpen this image"

The same image, with a little unsharp mask in Photoshop CS:

(see attachment)

Do you see what I mean?

Look, don't become a "pixel peeper". To tell you the truth, there is no real difference in image quality with images from different entry level DSLRs, regardless of brand. (at least at "normal" ISO settings)

Don't choose your camera by looking at every pixel and "concluding" that one camera is "better" than the other.
Choose your camera by seeing which system you would like. I know people that can't stand Nikon cameras, as well as I know people who can't stand Canons. And only one person I know except myself uses Pentax (because I "turned" her myself...).

So you see, buy a camera that will meet your needs.
If you have the hots for that particular Nikon lens, go with a nice D50. Do you want to experiment with older manual focus lenses & macro, find yourself a good Pentax.
Do you want a compact DSLR, with a manufacturer that produces great glass by itself, go with Canon.
Do you need high ISO performance, etc etc...

In the end, you need to go with your gut, not with reviews and 100% crops & "per pixel sharpness"...

I hope you can see that...

TDN

Moderator Note:

The Attached Photo was removed. Please do not post photos that you did not take yourself without permission from the copyright holder (in this case, it was Jeff Keller's image he took for a review at dcresource.com)

Thanks.

Jim C.

Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:45 AM   #17

Thanks for those test TDN.

I need to inform you that I don't resize my images BTW unless I really need to. I always look at them full sized or crop at 100% only; so that is why I am so particular! :idea:

I don't think the stores still sell those interesting Pentax lenses BTW as much as I like them. (They might be selling only the latest ones).

Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:08 PM   #18
TDN

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I need to inform you that I don't resize my images BTW unless I really need to. I always look at them full sized or crop at 100% only; so that is why I am so particular! :idea:
well...ok then
but forgive me for finding that strange. Surely you're not going to be the only one viewing your images? And when you show them to friends or online they're always going to be resized or printed, because of the simple fact that no screen or standard print can show 3000+ pixels...

I publish my best images on my website, personally I wouldn't have half as much fun if I couldn't share my pictures somehow...

Quote:
I don't think the stores still sell those interesting Pentax lenses BTW as much as I like them. (They might be selling only the latest ones).
That is why ebay is my friend

Anyway if you're so very particular, maybe you should aim a little higher on the pixel ladder, perhaps a 10MP camera would suit your needs better...just a suggestion.

I'm sorry if I seemed ticked off there in my reply, but I couldn't just sit here and hear someone call those images "not good enough" just like that

TDN
Old Aug 31, 2006, 4:36 PM   #19

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew (from personal experience)which camera, the D50 or K100D, took better indoor/low light pics?

I am also researching to purchase my first DSLR and am between the two.

Thanks

afayec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:32 PM   #20
TDN

Well, when shooting indoor you need all the light you can get. Since the K100D has Shake Reduction, you can set a slower shutter speed, letting more light in.

And from my experience with the *ist DL, I can tell Pentax does very well in low light. (also has a 3200 ISO setting)

So, I guess that would be the K100D then.

TDN