Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:19 AM   #31

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes you have to respect people's way of viewing their images. If I like to view my images at 100%, so what??? I usually like to scroll around my images at 100% view and that is me, please respect that.

BTW, even my camera phones will produce high quality images if I resize everything.:roll:

When I am getting a digital camera (expecially a dSLR), I expect more. Expecially with a dSLR, I expects high quality images when viewed at 100%, or else I would better keep my N1 digital camera. :?

"NOBODY prints 100% crops" sounds TOO extreme and generalizing to me, I will fail my exam if I answer that as a true. (Better toresolveto "most of the time")
Quote:

I apologize if I sound rude or disrespectful. I'm just extremely frustrated. Your statements have been contradictory as you've waffled between cameras. You've asked for advice, been given good advice (some from professional users) that you have ignored, and are now just saying things (like the above statement) that make no sense. You're right I shouldn't have said nobody...there probably are a few folks that are that bent on pixels and minute details, that 100% crops are necessary. I too review my stock images at 100%, but only because the agencies I use are strict about noise. Otherwise, it is unnecessary, and I KNOW that 100% crop viewing serves no need when viewing/printing at normal sizes. under normal conditions....which is how people will typically view the work which you share.

I also agree that one should expect more out of a DSLR...it is after all a very expensive purchase. However, I have sold images taken from an entry level Sony DSC-P93 camera that I understand how to use, is easy to carry, and fits my style perfectly. You must understand and know how to use a tool to get the most out of it. That's why I believe practical real world experience is more important than the countless professional reviews. That is what I try to provide in these forums. Although I've mentioned it as a disclaimer from time to time, many readers probably don't know what camera I use (a D50 and D70s as well as some P&S cameras), and I don't go out of my way to recommend them...I stay as objective as possible, and try to get people to understand that since differences are so small (graphs don't really tell the story...the increments are so small, and graphs can be manipulated to make things look worse or farther apart than they really are) that it is really about fit and feel, which is different for everyone.

I'm stepping away from these threads. I no longer have the energy to continue round in circles on this subject and what camera you want or what is the best camera. I've voiced my opinion and you can choose to use the info I have provided (from real world use, not interpreted from 3rd parties) or choose to ignore me. I hope everything works out for you.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:49 AM   #32

Fenix wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax K100D seems really nice but I am curious about the battery time.

How is it compared to its competitors when it comes to battery time.

I have not found any information regarding that.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to know about battery time, but don't let it be a deciding factor in which camera you end up with.Battery timeis not so critical unless you only have one battery. Just buy another battery or two. You will probably end up doing that anyway. If the reason you are curious isto factor how many batteries you need, then that is an entirely different story. You probably won't be able to go by that unless someone includes that finding through actual use in a review or someone who owns the camera. If the manufacturer publishes the information in a spec or feature summary, you can rest assured that they will post maximum life under ideal conditions. Most of these new cameras are actually pretty good and there are some settings that can be user programmed to maximize on battery life. Most cameras turn off automatically or at least go into a standby mode. I left mine for days by accident and as soon I touched a button it woke up. Leaving it in standby sometimes is quite useful, because sometimes a cameras start-up time can make you miss a shot.

As for advice on batteries to buy, I would avoid the real cheap off-brands that you find on EBay. Some of those things are pure garbage. Some shooters insist on OEM batteries, but they can be expensive depending on where you buy them.I have purchased aftermarket batteries from reputable manufacturers like Maxell and have had no problems.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 9:13 AM   #33

Have you considered swapping out the KM 5D with the Sony Alpha 100 in your course at all? Feel wise it is virtually identical (in many respects it is the same camera)

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Ira-

I am a professional Digital Camera Instructor. One of my most sucessful workshop is called, "An Introduction to Consumer Level DSLR Cameras." The workshop is a combination of classroom instruction and actual shooting sessions where the attendees get to use the Canon 350D/XT, the KM 5D, the Nikon D-50, The Olympus E-300 and the E-500 and the Pentax DS and K100D cameras.

Without fail, the attendies complain about the grip and the viewfinder on the Canon XT, they memoan the fact that the KM 5D and 7D are no longer in production, they like the grip and viewfinder on the Nikon D-50, they like the grip and the viewfinder on the Olympus cameras, especially the E-500, and they rave about the Pentax K100D's greatviewfinder, grip, SR (shake reduction) and excellent Dynamic Range.

So based on the 372 attendees who have gone through the workshop since I added the Pentax K100D, who are unanamous in their approval. I would surely look at the Pentax K100D.The K100D,along with the KM cameras, now out of production have Optical Stabilization which is a feature that must be used for awhile to really appreciate it, but it definitiely does make a huge difference in your photos. Only those attendees who are really into post processing their photos can appreciate the much wider spectrum between black and wide that the K100D has, but it is sure there.

So I truly believe that the Pentax K100D deserves a good look.

MT
hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 10:32 AM   #34

hotwire-

The Sony A-100 does not offer any significant improvement over the KM 5D, and the current price of the A-100 is justabove the level of consumer DSLR cameras. The A-100 does fine at ISO settings below 400, but generally folks are expecting more ISO cabability than ISO 400.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:18 AM   #35

Code:
hotwire-

The Sony A-100 does not offer any significant improvement over the KM 5D, and the current price of the A-100 is justabove the level of consumer DSLR cameras. The A-100 does fine at ISO settings below 400, but generally folks are expecting more ISO cabability than ISO 400.

MT
I am really not sure how true is that mtclimber;

According to most people around, the Sony A100 was certainly a significant improvement over the KM 5D. The only thing that is bugging is anything above ISO 400 > ISO 800 - ISO 1600. From what I can see, the ISO 800 isn't bad and the ISO 1600 isn't reallythat bad. (The ISO 1600 shots will benefit from some post processing.)

Regarding price, I don't know about your country; but it is selling for RM 3200 here in Malaysia. That should be about 888 USD approx including the kit lens.

Code:
The A-100 does fine at ISO settings below 400
The A100 actually does fine at ISO 100 - 400. After those levels, it then gets quite noisy and then noisy at ISO 1600.

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 11:47 PM   #36

Check out the Canon 20D - bigger - great feel / grip - super reviews - replaced by the 30D so the price has dropped. Much better than the D50 or D70 IMHO. You will find as I have it is the quality of the lenses and what you learn about your equipment. The Canon 20D is a super unit - check the review in this site.

Good luck.

alamedasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:24 AM   #37

Code:
Check out the Canon 20D - bigger - great feel / grip - super reviews - replaced by the 30D so the price has dropped. Much better than the D50 or D70 IMHO. You will find as I have it is the quality of the lenses and what you learn about your equipment. The Canon 20D is a super unit - check the review in this site. 

Good luck.

The Canon EOS 20D might have already been phased out by Canon. I am not surewill it be a good idea to consider a refurbished model if anyone is interested. I am not sure about prices though...last saw it priced at 1000 USD for new (Without lens).

As an aside, one can easily go and get a new Nikon D70s plus the superior 18-70 mm for just about 899 USD.

Code:
Much better than the D50 or D70 IMHO.

I wouldn't say it is much better than the D70s. Other than the extra mega pixels and the 5fps burst mode, I can't see it as any better. Besides, the Nikon D70s have spot meteringwith somesettings. (The EOS 20D doesn't have spot metering)

All of them have a solid buildand a nice grip.

Nonetheless, the CANON EOS-20D is one great camera. (But rather expensive without lens)

Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:51 AM   #38

Canon 20D - check it out

Beach Camera - $977 - body only, w/lens kit - $1095

B&H - $989.95 - body only, w/lens kit - $1159.95

alamedasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 9:28 AM   #39

just getting back to the thread title perhaps you would find this usefull

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/20dd70.htm

I know I did

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 10:41 AM   #40

Code:
just getting back to the thread title perhaps you would find this usefull

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/20dd70.htm

I know I did

Riley
That was a great review. One of the most enjoyed ones for me! :-)