Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:56 AM   #1

I'll admit, I'm new to the SLR world. I want to try to make a transition from a point and shoot camera. I've read good things about the D50 and the 350D, but I'm still not sure what to get. Things I'll be shooting will probably be random things, not just a specific thing like sports, weddings, etc. I've done some research on these cameras, but I'm still lost at which one to pick. I know that it's said that you can't go wrong with either of these, but are there any pros and cons people that own these cameras want to list? Which one is the better buy for a beginner?

I keep reading reviews about the 350D being "too small" or "cheap feeling", but I'm no professional, so I doubt that would bother me. Plus, I'm a woman, so my hands aren't that big. I've seen pictures taken by the 350D and they were amazing. Also, does anyone know the average battery life for the 350D? On the other hand, I have alsoread reviews about the Nikon D50, and have been hearing good things about it. Would anyone like to share their own pictures from these cameras so I can see? Thanks!

Ultimately, I know that it really depends on how well the photographer takes the picture, but I'm a beginner and I just want to know which one the community likes better ^^; Whichever one I buy, I'll probably buy only the body and a 50mm f/1.8 to go with it because I heard the kit lens wasn't all that great.

Anyways, thanks in advance for all you kind peoples' help!
loveholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2

Canon 350D has a very small grip making it uncomfortable to hold if you have medium to large hands. The small grip holds a tiny battery which is why the battery life is so short, however there is an optional grip for the Canon that holds two more batteries and gives a vertical shutter release.

Nikon D50 gives away a small amount of resolution but has a larger battery and grip. It also feels more substantial probably becuase it is easier to hold.

Note that the Pentax K100D has a better viewfinder than either of those above and built in shake reduction (similar purpose to the IS Canon lenses and the VR Nikon lenses). The disadvantages of the Pentax is that it is currently not offering a pro level body.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:09 AM   #3

Ira-

I am a professional Digital Camera Instructor. One of my most sucessful workshop is called, "An Introduction to Consumer Level DSLR Cameras." The workshop is a combination of classroom instruction and actual shooting sessions where the attendees get to use the Canon 350D/XT, the KM 5D, the Nikon D-50, The Olympus E-300 and the E-500 and the Pentax DS and K100D cameras.

Without fail, the attendies complain about the grip and the viewfinder on the Canon XT, they memoan the fact that the KM 5D and 7D are no longer in production, they like the grip and viewfinder on the Nikon D-50, they like the grip and the viewfinder on the Olympus cameras, especially the E-500, and they rave about the Pentax K100D's greatviewfinder, grip, SR (shake reduction) and excellent Dynamic Range.

So based on the 372 attendees who have gone through the workshop since I added the Pentax K100D, who are unanamous in their approval. I would surely look at the Pentax K100D.The K100D,along with the KM cameras, now out of production have Optical Stabilization which is a feature that must be used for awhile to really appreciate it, but it definitiely does make a huge difference in your photos. Only those attendees who are really into post processing their photos can appreciate the much wider spectrum between black and wide that the K100D has, but it is sure there.

So I truly believe that the Pentax K100D deserves a good look.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:58 AM   #4

Thank you for the suggestions.

I'm going to check out the Pentax K100D right now ^0^
loveholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 6:51 AM   #5
TDN

it's a matter of personal preference really.

I personally am very bothered with the placement of the LCD screen on the 350D, I don't think it's that convenient...

Then again, I know a lot of people who really like the compactness of the 350D

The D50 has very nice handling, but is a little less compact...

As for me, I went with the Pentax ist DL. Got a great price on it and haven't been disappointed since. It's very compact. but doesn't compromise in handling. For me, it's a perfect fit.

This might be different for you though, so here's my advice:
Find some friends/family members that have either of these cameras and give them a quick try. If noone you know has one, go to the nearest camera store and ask if you can have a feel at some of the DSLRs. Then tell them you'll have to think about your decision and walk out

There is no "right" camera. Only a right camera for you.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:45 PM   #6

Code:
and they rave about the Pentax K100D's greatviewfinder, grip, SR (shake reduction) and excellent Dynamic Range.

So based on the 372 attendees who have gone through the workshop since I added the Pentax K100D, who are unanamous in their approval. I would surely look at the Pentax K100D.The K100D,along with the KM cameras, now out of production have Optical Stabilization which is a feature that must be used for awhile to really appreciate it, but it definitiely does make a huge difference in your photos. Only those attendees who are really into post processing their photos can appreciate the much wider spectrum between black and wide that the K100D has, but it is sure there.

So I truly believe that the Pentax K100D deserves a good look.

MT
I really wish I could attend your workshop mtclimber. I really wish I could compare the dSLRs like that in real life!

The Pentax K100D sounds really good. I just wonder why dpreview stop reviewing Pentax dSLRs after the IST DS model...why don't they review the K100D??? (They always review the latest/greatest :G) Noticed how fast the A100 and D80 got a preview, then the A100 got the review really quick later on.......just 2 of the many other examples (Nikon D70, Sony DSC-R1...).
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:02 AM   #7

TDN wrote:
Quote:
it's a matter of personal preference really.
There is no "right" camera. Only a right camera for you.
AMEN! It's nice to see there's not a lot of "my brand's better than your brand" here that goes on in other forums. TDN is right. It's the same reason some of us drive Fords while others choose Dodge or Toyota (well that and budget, which is still an important consideration). All cameras have their inherent strengths...and weaknesses. I've handled both the Rebel and D50 and own neither (although I too am not impressed with the feel of the Rebel, especially the kit lens). Make a list of features that areimportant to you, read the reviews, handle each model (bring a memory card and shoot some pictures in the store for at-home review) and make the choice that's right for you.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 5:12 AM   #8

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
I really wish I could attend your workshop mtclimber. I really wish I could compare the dSLRs like that in real life!
So you want to learn...

The Pentax K100D sounds really good. I just wonder why dpreview stop reviewing Pentax dSLRs after the IST DS model...why don't they review the K100D??? (They always review the latest/greatest :G) Noticed how fast the A100 and D80 got a preview, then the A100 got the review really quick later on.......just 2 of the many other examples (Nikon D70, Sony DSC-R1...).
...but if the great dpreview hasn't reviewed it is must not be worthy anyway???
Dpreview is just a review site, it isn't the depository for everything right in the world. Reviews are opinions, quantitative tests are only part of the review process, how the reviewer chooses to interpret the data he/she accumulates is up to him/her. If a review site is not reviewing Pentax because it "isn't worthy" then it is a bad review site because it isn't warning potential buyers. (If there is any doubt as to the tone and intent of the last sentence then please refer to the following link for clarification:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm )

Here arethree Pentax K100D reviews, neither unfortunately comes from dpreview so their validity is obviously in doubt (see link above). This one is the Digital Imaging Websites Association awards test (sounds pretty professional to me):

http://www.e-fotografija.com/artman/...cle_1154.shtml

And this one is from a rather outspoken photographer who has been involved in many projects over the years (including a column here), Mike Johnston:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/columns/totally.shtml

And here is one more from a review site called the Imaging-Resource site:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K100D/K100DA.HTM

No one is trying to sell you a Pentax, just point out that one review site does not necessarily have all of the answers regardles of how rigorous their testing might be.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 9:19 AM   #9

The Pentax K100D seems really nice but I am curious about the battery time.

How is it compared to its competitors when it comes to battery time.

I have not found any information regarding that.
Fenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:28 PM   #10

They don't have a full review posted yet, but imaging-resouce has an informative preview up:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K100D/K100DA.HTM

Quote:
White balance and AF speed could use some improvement, but overall the Pentax K100D impressed our Senior Editor, especially when paired with Pentax's short, fast prime lenses and Pentax's hot-shoe-mounted bounce flash. We're still working on the full review, but come see our Hands-on Preview of the Pentax K100D.
It seems their primary complaints were the AF being slow in low light, and the auto white balance not handling indoor light without the flash well.

Quote:
Give the K100D a good bounced light source and it's a dream. Attach something like a Lumiquest 80/20 bounce reflector to it, and you'll be blown away. You can also just pop up the built-in flash and get what you need, or else remember to switch to manual or Tungsten white balance before shooting indoors (what a pain). I'm hoping Pentax can fix this with software, but it seems somewhat unlikely. Be warned that though I'm very fond of the K100D, I compensate by using flash when shooting indoors, which isn't always ideal. Using the AF-540FGZ gives the best results, but it doubles the size and weight of the camera and requires more effort to find white surfaces to bounce the flash from.
And Jeff Keller at dcresource.com also apparently has a review on the way, as he's been adding new shots to his gallery:

http://dcresource.com/
Nikon D80, Pentax K100D galleries updated
Not thrilled with their mediocre kit lenses, I grabbed my Nikon D80 and Pentax K100D and some prime lenses and ventured out into the fog. I added a few new photos to each gallery: D80, K100D. I think you'll see an improvement in sharpness!
Tuesday update: I added a few more photos to each of the above galleries.
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote