Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2006, 4:45 AM   #1

It doesnt look like much more money for an a100 but the camera seems very well specced: -

10MP, Steadyshot, pentaprism, dust removal scheme

I wonder if any shops will have it in yet?

Any opinions?

Thanks

Neil
skiv71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #2

Neil-

Yes, it is available. However, please be sure to read ther professional reviews. The A-100 seem to tend toward noise at higher ISO settings

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/so...ew/index.shtml

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:05 PM   #3

skiv71 wrote:
Quote:
It doesnt look like much more money for an a100 but the camera seems very well specced: -

10MP, Steadyshot, pentaprism, dust removal scheme

I wonder if any shops will have it in yet?

Any opinions?

Thanks

Neil

Don't know what the "street" price is for an A100 (my Fry's has it at full retail), but I got my K100D (body only) for $577. You can get it with a very nice kit lens for $620 online.
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:33 PM   #4

Feature for feature:

K100D SR, A100 steadyshot - both systems are essentially the same, no winner here.

K100D 6MP, A100 10MP, this is enough resolution difference to make visible difference in large prints, up to 8" X 10" it may not be noticable. Advantage Sony.

K100D high ISO performance, A100 ? . Preliminary reports are somewhat conflicting, Popular Photography & Imaging magazine found the Sony very noisy beyond ISO 400. Need more information. Possible advantage Pentax.

K100D sensor dust, A100 sensor "shaker" like Olympus. Minor dust should pose less of a problem (it does slow down the startup however), Advantage Sony.

Lenses, this one is interesting, if you have the bucks Sony will be peddling some very nice Carl Zeiss lenses, and all of the old Maxxum lenses will work as well (some great glass here), however Pentax is becoming a leader in wide angle primes and of course all of the old K-mount lenses will work (many are MF and require manual exposure but they do work well). No clear winner here, depends on what you want.

K100D low price, A100 moderate price. To get the added features of the Sony you must pay for them. Advantage Pentax.

K100D AA NiMH batteries (or crv3 lithium, or even alkalines in a pinch for a few shots), A100 great big powerful Li-ion battery. I am torn here between (Pentax)flexibility, low cost batteries, easy availability and (Sony) high capacity but higher replacement cost and no options. This is an argument with no correct answer. no winner here.

Both of these cameras have a lot to offer. I own a Pentax *iatDL but I also have a 35mm Minolta Maxxum outfit with some great lenses so I would find myself in the same position but I bought before the Sony product entered the market. Since I own Pentax, cognitive dissonance will not allow me the recommend Sony, so you be the judge.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote