Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2006, 5:22 PM   #1

Hello everyone. I am looking for a new/upgrade digital camera and would like some experienced opinions please. I currently own a Kodak DC4800 and I have been pleased with it, but would liketo upgrade to a nicer camera. I will use it *mostly* for outdoor photos, particularly pictures of my horses, dogs & cats. I like to photograph nature, including macro shots of flowers, animals, etc.Of more importance is a "super-zoom" since I can get more natural shots of the horses (and misc. wildlife) from a distance, and I want niceclear, high qualitypix. While I also use the camera for basic shots of people, for example at family dinners,the flash on my DC4800 is not strong enough to get good indoor photos from a distance. I very rarely have a need to photograph in very low light situations such as nightclubs, as I've seen some discussion of on these forums. Cloudy days would be the more likely obstacle for me.

I have only used point & shoot cameras so I need something easy to use, but I have a strong interest in learning more about advanced photography so I'm intrigued by the ability to use themanual settings. Again, I have been pleased with my current Kodak, so I have looked into that brand & the P712 sounds great...although I've not found an abundance of personal reviews on it. Can anyone suggest other cameras that would compare in quality & ease of use to the P712 for the uses that I've described above?

I'd like to stay under $500 for the camera. Any help would be very greatly appreciated!!

Kim

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions of good "photography for dummies" type books that might be helpful in learning to use a DSLR camera in the future, I'd love to hear those as well.

chiefsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:32 PM   #2

The Sony H2 & H5, Canon S3 IS, and Panasonic Lumix FZ7 would be the most popular ultra-zoom models alongside the Kodak Easyshare P850, Z612, and P712.

You might also prefer the convenince of the Panisonic TZ1, a 5MP 10x zoom that which is only 1.6" thick (though without the manual controls you'd like).

Also keep in mind, for around $500, you can just about get into an entry level DSLR and kit lens. There's a couple of models near that price, and a couple more models avaialble at around $600.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:58 PM   #3

In the P&S, Ultra Zoom category, there is the Canon S-2 to be considered. However, I would certainlysuggest that you givea lot of consideration to the SR equipped Pentax K100D DSLR Camera, as it would be a huge leap forward from the run of the mill P&S cameras. Perhaps we should discuss this in more detail.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:28 PM   #4

Thank you both for your comments & suggestions!! I've been looking at information on the suggested cameras & found the Lumix F27 quite interesting...mostly because the lower price, yet nice features. My interest in the P712 was largely fueled by the fact that this camera will have to last me several years, I'm sure, so I want to get the "biggest/baddest" one I can get. However, I also realize the "biggest/baddest" of anything is not always the BEST...thus the need for more experienced assistance.

While the idea of getting a DSLR is very exciting, it's also rather "frightening" since I've never owned an SLR or DSLR. Do some of the entry level DSLR models have an automatic setting that I could use until I learn how to use the manual features? I just don't want to get a camera that I can't use right out of the box. Another concern is the cost of lenses & accessories. While looking through the discussions on this forum I've seen mention of lenses costing $750 & more! If I spend over $500 on a camera nowI KNOW I won't be able to shell out much money on additional lenses or accessories for quite some time.

With all this being said, do you still think it's worth looking into entry level DSLR cameras? If yes, will you suggest some models for me to look in to? Thanks again for your help!!

Kim
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:14 PM   #5

go with the p712. it's a great camera!

shooting_rubber.
shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:18 PM   #6

Just a very simple question, shooting rubber-

Do you actually own a Kodak P712 camera?

MT
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:28 AM   #7

go for the p712 i have a p850 which is a carbon copy of the p712 bar the more megapixels, the p850 is a great all round camera and ill highly reccomend the p712
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:30 PM   #8

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Just a very simple question, shooting rubber-

Do you actually own a Kodak P712 camera?

MT
It's the same thing as the P850, but just more megapixels!

shooting_rubber.

shooting_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:39 PM   #9

Just wanted to thank you all for your advice & suggestions! Today was the last day of a special on shipping & accessories on Kodak's site, so I ordered up the P712! I debated long & hard about the DSLR camera & finally dear hubby said that if I decide in a year or so thatI've "outgrown" theP712 I can look into a DSLR. (Will probably have to sell the P712, but oh well...I guess I can't have it all). :-)

I'm looking for a couple good books to help me take advantage of all the features of this camera and to better prepare to for the purchase of a DSLR if I decide to go that route. In the meantime, I'll be lurking around here trying to soak up some knowledge too! Thanks again for all your help!

Kim
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:50 PM   #10

Congratulations, Kim!

Please promise that you will post some really excellent photos from your new P712.

MT